Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noel Grealish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Second item on rte 9pm news. Special correspondent reporting from outside Leinster house.
    Lads, the message is clear. Shut this Lind of thing down immediately and crush any debate on anything that is off message. Grealish would have known he'd be pilloried for saying what he said but did he realise they would have a special correspondent reporting on reaction from outside the dail?

I don't give give a fùck what he said, do you?

Rte news seems to think you do

It was the second top story on the most rated news programme.

Hardly a strategy to shut the story down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Jizique

Bambi wrote: »
    Given that the head lecturer for Sociology out there is the brains behind the SWP its hardly suprising

No Proper university should have a dept of sociology

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

It was the second top story on the most rated news programme.

Hardly a strategy to shut the story down.

But they clearly portrayed it as wrong think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

jackboy wrote: »
    But they clearly portrayed it as wrong think.

I didn't sense that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Jizique wrote: »
    No Proper university should have a dept of sociology

How so?

Columbia University in NYC seem to differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Complete speculation from me

But I would guess The Irish criminals are using Nigerian passport holders to funnel their drug money out of the country.

Why Nigerian people? well maybe regulations aren't that strict over there.

The Irish gangsters would recruit Nigerians to send a few hundred euro home every week and that money is then funnelled into another account that is safe and can't be touched by Irish/European authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Those figures are extraordinary. And they would have went unreported if he got a reasonable answer and TDs, NGO, Media didn't throw a hissy fit.

All Varadkar had to say was we are working with the Garda to address all sorts of money laundering, suspicious transactions etc. Then highlighted cases of where they were successful. Case closed.

But no, they went PC and everyone is now wondering WTF is up with those figures.

JJayoo wrote: »

But I would guess The Irish criminals are using Nigerian passport holders to funnel their drug money out of the country.

The Irish gangsters would recruit Nigerians to send a few hundred euro home every week and that money is then funnelled into another account that is safe and can't be touched by Irish/European authorities.

If you were a drug dealer would you trust sending money to Nigeria...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Follow the money.

• Advertisement

If you were a drug dealer would you trust sending money to Nigeria...lol

Well if the lads family didn't play ball then maybe me and my gangster friends might break his legs :)

The Nigerian guy, in my hypotical scenerio would also be getting a nominal fee for his cooperation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Lots of money laundering could be the answer.

I don't have any time for Grealish but there is a possibility criminals are using Nigerians to clean their Ill gotten gains

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerian-gang-linked-to-15m-fraud-target-of-garda-raids-37292029.html

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1017834

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bloopy

If the figures quoted in this thread and elsewhere are correct, then there is something very odd going on here. The numbers being quoted do seem quite high.

Anyone with any suggestions why IBEC members seem to be getting involved in this thing?

https://twitter.com/GerardBrady100/status/1194299139544236032?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mark Cagney on Newstalk now reminding us that the Irish sent home money from abroad before

That certainly was the case but the figures involved were not in the same league as what is going back to Nigeria, if it was a few thousand per family no one would pay a tap of notice but if these figures are correct people have the right to ask questions. On a pretty average wage and living a not extravagant lifestyle, I'm doing well to save about 4k a year.
    Is it's case that 90% of Nigerians are sending back a couple of grand a year and 10% are sending millions back? How are these people earning their money?

Well if the lads family didn't play ball then maybe me and my gangster friends might break his legs :)

The Nigerian guy, in my hypotical scenerio would also be getting a nominal fee for his cooperation

Maybe you could be right, 26,000 per Nigerian leaving Ireland during a height of a recession seems a bit odd to me...or is that racist

Comparing the figures of 26k for every man woman and child to what the Ir stillish send back is very very bizarre. Wreaks of " oh look how non racist I am, pat me on the back".

Like no one is saying that Nigerians are you robbing 500m it's the Irish drug king pins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Maybe you could be right, 26,000 per Nigerian leaving Ireland during a height of a recession seems a bit odd to me...or is that racist

Well it's racist if you"re Ruth miserable cnut Coppinger.

You are racist scum, those Nigerian children earned that 26k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

baldbear wrote: »
    Lots of money laundering could be the answer.

I don't have any time for Grealish but there is a possibility criminals are using Nigerians to clean their Ill gotten gains

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerian-gang-linked-to-15m-fraud-target-of-garda-raids-37292029.html

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1017834

That could actually be a very valid explanation for some of the large scale transfers. Investigation is definitely warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Massive amount of fees being paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No need to guess. Take a walk round a few sites or other jobs and open your eyes. Where are they . Can't be all driving taxis.

I know a lot of Africans who are building medical devices and looking after old / disabled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There have already been cases discovered of where Ireland has been a soft touch on filtering funds to ISIS. ISIS are aligned to Boko Haram, who are primarily based in Northern Nigerian.

ISIS must be trying to bury money, left, right and centre at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

So its really just Irish criminals at it?
    Are you sure?
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nigerian-gang-linked-to-15m-fraud-target-of-garda-raids-37292029.html?fbclid=IwAR11QVbWTcOk05eT39eolDL6gh6hy23muB3brccucx2GB0vav41Ohf7Gua8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

An answer to a written Dail question in October seems to blow Grealish’s figures out of the water. Average remittances to Nigeria in the order of €17 million. Mentioned just now on the Tonight Show.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I suspect that Grealish has done his homework and his figures are correct. Why else would he be shot down without his figures being refuted?

I think you might be right. He had time since Oughterard to check the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How can this even be a story? Emigrants have been sending money back to their home countries from richer countries for many decades.

What do you think all the hard working Filipino people in Ireland are doing? Money laundering and criminality my foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

Strazdas wrote: »
    How can this even be a story? Emigrants have been sending money back to their home countries from richer countries for many decades.

What do you think all the hard working Filipino people in Ireland are doing? Money laundering and criminality my foot.

What's the percentage of Irish of Nigerian descent and Nigerians living in Ireland that are claiming welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Ireland was, during the boom years, called the "wild west of finance"
    I suspect nothing has changed and we're probably now the wild west of money laundering..and this is what have got the govt so freaked out.
    I think the accusations of Racism might just be a red herring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    An answer to a written Dail question in October seems to blow Grealish’s figures out of the water. Average remittances to Nigeria in the order of €17 million. Mentioned just now on the Tonight Show.

But he asked the question and got the answer. He deliberately ignored the Dail response which means he must thing they are a nonsense. How would the Dail get these numbers? I am presuming Western Union and the main banks do not send annual breakdowns to the Dail??

• Advertisement

When it comes to the drug related crime I would be surprised if any other group operated without some input/payment to the Kinneghans

Advertisement