Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Youtuber - cold shower punishment for 2 yr old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sardonicat wrote: »
    As long as they 'look' happy....
    They are happy.

I think you are coming off very bitter toward the family. I am not sure if its due to your own personal experience growing up or what.

If you feel there is something wrong report it. If you don't stop because its slander and they are taking legal action against people about this.

Q
    uote:
    Originally Posted by Sardonicat View Post
    You do realise you're making a foolong of yourself, don't you?
    You were the one who claimed to know all about siberia from your Russian friend who probably lives in Russia as far away from Siberia as we are from Germany. If at all.

You dont know how this punishment is carried out. It could be calmly with tepid water.

You just jumped in and formed an opinion without thinking.

I wouldn't report them myself. I don't really think i know enough to justify doing that.

So i won't be calling it abuse just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why does she appear bitter and why should she have had problems in her childhood? It's a face value thing - she read that the parents themselves originally said that they punish the child with a cold shower - not a tepid one. That's it. There is nothing defamatory in that, when they said it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You were the one who claimed to know all about siberia from your Russian friend who probably lives in Russia as far away from Siberia as we are from Germany. If at all.

You dont know how this punishment is carried out. It could be calmly with tepid water.

You just jumped in and formed an opinion without thinking.
    The punishment was abuse no matter how it was carried out. Punishing a child for doing a pooh is abuse. Including the light tap you advacated earlier. That's not an opinion. That's the law here.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Why does she appear bitter and why should she have had problems in her childhood? It's a face value thing - she read that the parents themselves originally said that they punish the child with a cold shower - not a tepid one. That's it. There is nothing defamatory in that, when they said it themselves.
    Yes. but unless you see it you don't know.

You are calling it abuse and certain others not certain it was you said the child would be traumatized.

Its clearly possible to give a child a cold shower without all of that.

You don't know how they carry out their corrections.

Neither do i but I would give them the benefit of the doubt rather than report them.

The punishment was abuse no matter how it was carried out. Punishing a child for doing a pooh is abuse. Including the light tap you advacated earlier. That's not an opinion. That's the law here.

I was slapped for not making it to the bathroom on time as a kid and i wet my pants so i was slapped for not being careful and taking time to go.

I was never abused as a kid.

I was about 3 or 4. My mother was a wonderful mother and not an abuser.

I would far rather have a mother like her than one who wrapped me in cotton wool too.

Its shame how far the law has gone now.

• Advertisement

I was slapped for not making it to the bathroom on time as a kid and i wet my pants.

Jesus Christ! And you claimed I was bitter about my childhood!
    What happened to you in your childhood matters not a jot to the laws regarding child abuse here and now.

I was slapped for not making it to the bathroom on time as a kid and i wet my pants so i was slapped for not being careful and taking time to go.

I would far rather have a mother like her than one who wrapped me in cotton wool too.

You think it's OK to hit little kids. For something they have no control over too.

Nothing more to say to you.

Yep, it's not up for discussion.
    Yes. but unless you see it you don't know.

You are calling it abuse and certain others not certain it was you said the child would be traumatized.

Its clearly possible to give a child a cold shower without all of that.

You don't know how they carry out their corrections.

Neither do i but I would give them the benefit of the doubt rather than report them.
    I didn't use the word "abuse". Neither did I use the word "traumatised". I said punishing a child aged two for soiling her bed by placing her in a cold shower is too severe, which it is. It is disingenuous and obtuse for anyone to say it isn't, or to be devil's advocate.

My mother never ever slapped me for wetting myself because that is completely unreasonable. She didn't wrap me in cotton wool either - it's not a case of just one or the other. She did give me a smack on the arse for misbehaving when I was older (whatever people's views on that, it wasn't for something I had no control over).

You think it's OK to hit little kids. For something they have no control over too.

Nothing more to say to you.
    You have taken a reasonable interpretation of what i said i see. And a reasonable response too. Fab.

I don't need to put words in your mouth

• Advertisement

In full, for context. Before you try to edit
    And you also advocated slapping a child earlier.

I said punishing a child aged two for soiling her bed by placing her in a cold shower is too severe, which it is. It is disingenuous and obtuse for anyone to say it isn't, or to be devil's advocate.

No if its not abuse then it isn't for you to say what punishment is too severe its for the parents.

Especially since you haven't seen what happened.

Either its abuse or its up the parents.

Reasonable again.

No if its not abuse then it isn't for you to say what punishment is too severe its for the parents.

Especially since you haven't seen what happened.

Either its abuse or its up the parents.
    It's abuse
    It's the law

THIS IS ABUSE

It's abuse
    It's the law

Well then you had better report it.

Reasonable again.

So you don't think the law has gone to far and you didn't say punishing the child with a slap would be reasonable? That wasn't you?

Well then you had better report it.

It has been reported.

In Irish industrial schools, children were punished and humiliated for wetting the bed. But we can't judge, we weren't there, etc.

I still advocate slapping if it is legal where you live. I think it's shame its been taken away from parents.

• Advertisement

In Irish industrial schools, children were punished and humiliated for wetting the bed. But we can't judge, we weren't there, etc.
    They were also raped. Really you want to use that here?

Those vlogger children are not abused.

But if they get taken away from their parents or separated interviewed that will be far more traumatizing. Well done everyone.

You are comparing victims of systematic abuse to very privileged well look after children.

This is ridiculous.

I still advocate slapping if it is legal where you live. I think it's shame its been taken away from parents.

Says it all.

Says it all.

Says what most people think.

Today you kids can f and blind you and smack their younger sister but you can't smack them. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The actual temperature of the water is all that matters

bilbot79 wrote: »
    The actual temperature of the water is all that matters
    I bet it was cool to tepid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,091 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Right the biggest take away is washing your daughter in cold water a la Vibes will lead to attention seeking and a fixation with posting images and videos of small children from Siberia in later life.

Seems more than enough reason not to risk it and cause such harm to the child.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Right the biggest take away is washing your daughter in cold water a la Vibes will lead to attention seeking and a fixation with posting images and videos of small children from Siberia in later life.

Seems more than enough reason not to risk it and cause such harm to the child.
    There ...You've been warned.

Also i have learned we are now expected to babysit youtubers kids.:pac:

There common sense.

[IMG][/img]2WkGB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Punishing a 2 year old with cold, even tepid water is just plain wrong. At that age they're developing fears, phobias and other behaviours.

Throwing them into a cold/cool shower as punishment is going to do wonders for the association with washing for them.

As for leaving children outside in the winter, this is common in Scandinavian countries. It's not like they leave them outside in peak winter with a vest on and that's it. These babies are wrapped up.

Ireland is far more humid than the places that this happens, I doubt leaving babies outside in cold, damp air is quite as a good idea as cool, fresh air.

Jesus, the stupid beating off this thread is unreal.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Punishing a 2 year old with cold, even tepid water is just plain wrong.
    -_- No it isn't.

Washing down a baby in the middle of the night in tepid water after she has just covered herself in poo is normal.

How do you think mammies managed before instant showers? do you think they waited for the immersion in the middle of the night??

No they gave their babies a sponge bath with cold water.

And its 30 seconds of luke warm water.

Now don't you all feel silly?

How do you think mothers manage in countries without hot water?

Advertisement