Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has Greystones Open Forum on Facebook Killed off Greystones & Charlesland on Boards

Options
  • 27-04-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Very few new posts on Greystones & Charlesland lately, has everyone gone over to Greystones Open Forum on Facebook?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Facebook in general has killed off boards in general

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I can't stand Greystones Open Forum.

There must be about Greystones fora.

Its like there was one then another one then about 10 splinters off that then a splinter from Bray then a Greystones forum that suddenly became about Ireland.

https://www.greystonesguide.ie/greystones-facebook-forums-in-faceoff-fracas/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There must be about Greystones fora.

Its like there was one then another one then about 10 splinters off that then a splinter from Bray then a Greystones forum that suddenly became about Ireland.

https://www.greystonesguide.ie/greystones-facebook-forums-in-faceoff-fracas/

Can't stand the Greystones Guide either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I can’t stand the admin guys lecturing on the Open Forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can't stand Greystones Open Forum.

but how else will you find out that there's dogsh!t on the footpaths, or that 5G is going to kill us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I agree! Both content and design are appalling, not to mention the dreadful narrative style of the main contributor.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've only really started reading the Open Forum, some of the stuff posted on there really surprised me. A lot of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Cant stand Face book. Pity the board is suffering as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

:eek::eek::):)

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    :eek::eek::):)

Sorry, I know your pictures are in it. But it's just the worst, and I agree with a previous poster about the narrative style....awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

loyatemu wrote: »
    but how else will you find out that there's dogsh!t on the footpaths, or that 5G is going to kill us all?

I used to go for the latest chemtrail update.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

I wonder did they have similar comments when Gutenberg invented the printing press or, indeed, when parchments replaced clay tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

jpd wrote: »
    I wonder did they have similar comments when Gutenberg invented the printing press or, indeed, when parchments replaced clay tablets?
    Luckily enough for folks back then the toxic scourge of a comments section is only a recent phenomenon

jpd wrote: »

I hope you are not trying to equate the publication of the Greystones Guide rag with the invention of the printing press????:eek: :confused:

....or maybe I've missed the sarcasm flag :)

Ancient Roman p0rn graffiti has more literary and social worth than anything coming out of the GG I'm afraid

Ancient Roman p0rn graffiti has more literary and social worth than anything coming out of the GG I'm afraid

wow, tough crowd. It's a local news blog with a mildly sarcastic tone, I don't get the hatred.

This thread has delivered just like the comments section on the open forum!

I hope you are not trying to equate the publication of the Greystones Guide rag with the invention of the printing press????:eek: :confused:

....or maybe I've missed the sarcasm flag :)

Ok, maybe a bit strong!....I think it was the association of the GG with one of the greatest influences in society and culture in the last 1,000 years that cause my over-reaction.:o

I still think the underlying tone of the GG is snide and sneering covered up by a faux "jokiness" to get away with saying things you wouldn't say to someone's face.

But heh it's the internet and nobody forces me to read it.....so I don't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm part of the Bray one, not yet Greystones but probably should leave the Bray one and join Greystones considering I live closer to there now.

The problem with all these groups is that you give everyone a text box to spout any old crap into and they'll do it. Sometimes you do get the odd nugget of info of something that's on or happening that it's useful.

I don't get GG at all either, all the posts seem to just be cryptic posts that actually force you to read more than the title/3-4 lines to get what's actually on or even know the guy personally.

GG can be off the wall alright. And his crazed humour too.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Doesn't help that it spreads bat **** insane conspiracy theories about 5G signals and the likes.

Doesn't help that it spreads bat **** insane conspiracy theories about 5G signals and the likes.

in fairness the guy who runs GOF (Matthew) is pretty quick to shoot that nonsense down. The other Greystones forum is much worse.

loyatemu wrote: »
    in fairness the guy who runs GOF (Matthew) is pretty quick to shoot that nonsense down. The other Greystones forum is much worse.
    oh sorry I meant GG and not the GOF. specifically this post https://www.greystonesguide.ie/are-we-all-going-to-be-toast-soon/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fiveplusone

awec wrote: »
    I've only really started reading the Open Forum, some of the stuff posted on there really surprised me. A lot of complaining.

Sure you would be a nervous wreck parking the car in case someone was behind you with a phone to take a pic.

I enjoy it but always switch off when the whining starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I think the 'I just moved to Greystones and only now am i considering it takes 3 hours to get to my office in Galway' or 'Is the 84x faster than a helicopter getting to Grafton street' threads killed the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think the 'I just moved to Greystones and only now am i considering it takes 3 hours to get to my office in Galway' or 'Is the 84x faster than a helicopter getting to Grafton street' threads killed the forum.

I would not agree since I just ignore threads/posts which I deem not relevant to me.
    I think the fall off may be due to the lack of live issues affecting a significant group e.g. the Marina/Harbour development thread was interesting and well subscribed. To a lesser extent the La Touche Hotel planning and Charlesland specific issues.

The lost/found and free cycle forums may have been usurped by fb.

the Wicklow board is now more active than this one, which would have been unthinkable back in the day. maybe it's time to merge this one back into the mothership?

With Glenveagh properties buying part of Kilruddery it is only a matter of time before we merge with Bray.
    With Glenheron we are already linking towards Kilcoole
    Perhaps a new KilBreystones forum might be appropriate soon.��

Cerco wrote: »
    With Glenveagh properties buying part of Kilruddery it is only a matter of time before we merge with Bray.

really? do you have more information on that?

• Advertisement

I read it somewhere but unfortunately I cannot find it now. Thought it was Irish Times or Independent but search has not found it.
    Perhaps others have seen it?
    If I recall correctly two sites were mentioned, Howth & Kilruddery Bray. I will try again to locate it.

Advertisement