Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Icelandic man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

If one looks at the map for a person walking northwards with last sighting at Highfield, they have Plunkett College and its sports grounds directly across the road and farmland behind that with Albert College Park(beside DCU) directly behind that. Further up, there is a left turn at the big houses at Iveagh and then you head onto the crossroads at the big church, there is open waste ground(housing due to be built) to the right and established housing behind that.

At the crossroads, one can turn left and head to DCU(more housing as well) or turn right heading to Whitehall. I cannot see a "hiding place" in either direction, too many houses and not enough closed greenland. Then if one heads past the crossroads continuing northwards, there are two options of a slight left towards Santry (Omni)or a right slip road towards Beaumont, impossible to disappear there without being spotted in the 11am-12pm bracket, a busy Saturday morning full of shoppers. If he got past the Omni, there is an industrial estate on the left, might be quiet on a Saturday morning though but alot of units would have been shuttered. Further on up towards the airport(M1 road) there is no footpath so a large man wandering off that direction on the grass would have been spotted by hundreds of drivers.

He either wandered on a very long walk passing housing estates heading east towards Clontarf or west towards Finglas or north on the Old Swords rd passed the Omni(more cameras), he would have been spotted by many. Or picked up by a vehicle shortly after leaving the hotel, this I think is more likely. Speculation of course, it really is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I meant to say I am sure there would be some shady characters attending these poker competitions.

You've no idea what you're talking about so best keeping your innuedo to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its odd for sure, as a foreigner you are not going to know every little nook and cranny , not near the coast, random tourists don't just get bundled into cars and made disappear and difficult for a body not to be noticed in a built up suburb. At this stage the least worst outcome is that he doesn't want to be found for whatever reason.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

eviltwin wrote: »
    Did they search the shrub land leading down to the M1 do you know? Plenty of places along there for a person to disappear

I think so. I'll say it to her though just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as these tournaments go, 4k isnt just worth the hassle, most average have buy-ins of 5k just to get a seat at a table.

unless there's deeper issues not disclosed, think its completely irrelevant. but for someone to vanish mid day, and not a small guy, doesn't seem like some voluntary decision.

easy to speculate but without further info seems irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This is a bizarre case.

I can only think of 3 possibilities.

1 - Something deliberately nefarious has happened to him - but I feel like if this was the case that there would be some clue, someone would have seen something, a crime scene etc...

2 - An accident that has put him missing from sight, such as falling into a body of water, down a well etc...

3 - He deliberately disappeared.

I really hope he is found safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

scamalert wrote: »
    as these tournaments go, 4k isnt just worth the hassle, most average have buy-ins of 5k just to get a seat at a table.

unless there's deeper issues not disclosed, think its completely irrelevant. but for someone to vanish mid day, and not a small guy, doesn't seem like some voluntary decision.

€4k isn't worth the hassle of what exactly? There was 4 tournaments a part of the boddington series ranging from €230 to the €1,000 highroller. I'm open to correction but I think the maximum buy in for an irish tournament in 2019 is €2,000. You can get a "seat at the table" for cash game poker in most card rooms for €50.

Unfortunately it seems very likely to me that this guy wanted to disappear for some reason or another. Such a strange case when someone disappears in a country they have only been in for a day and vanish in the middle of the day. I think there must of been public transport or a taxi used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Or he could have got the bus at either of the bus stops heading either north or south(towards town), using Dublin Bus or one of the private operators like Aircoach. Then buses do have cameras inside and outside them so this option might be ruled out. And we have to assume all the waste ground/park/farmland in the immediate vicinity has already been searched. Also at Plunketts across the road, there might have been Saturday morning football matches on, another ton of witnesses to spot something.

scamalert wrote: »

There are no tournaments held in Ireland that have a 5k buy not for years and even when they were they were rare

Also the indo havent a fecking clue how much money he may have lost the night before the only person who would know is him, absolute piece of trash click bait

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Also yes, he was a big man but why are people on here focusing on that so much ?

If he was 5ft 6 for example it would be easier to go missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Also yes, he was a big man but why are people on here focusing on that so much ?

If he was 5ft 6 for example it would be easier to go missing?

Because he's not a stereotypical looking Irish man. His size is a distinguishing feature that may make it easier to identify him

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Because he's not a stereotypical looking Irish man. His size is a distinguishing feature that may make it easier to identify him

Yes but Dublin isn’t just Irish people living here. He is 6ft? Quite big build it’s not that unusual in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Am I the only one who finds it strange that there's been nothing from his Fiancee who he travelled with? It's all quotes from his family, from what I've seen, rather than her. Would have expected to see something from her, being the last person from home he was in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

As someone said the guy in the photograph they've released looks nothing like the guy in the cctv. He's obviously built up considerably since that was taken. He could walk up o'connell st and nobody would recognise him from that released photo. He looks huge by comparison on the cctv

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kenmc wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it strange that there's been nothing from his Fiancee who he travelled with? It's all quotes from his family, from what I've seen, rather than her. Would have expected to see something from her, being the last person from home he was in contact with.
    The Indo implies that there was an argument between them before he left.

She may just not have the emotional strength to be a public face in the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

The thing is he didn’t travel over with his partner.
    She followed him over and arrived the morning he went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

klaaaz wrote: »
    If one looks at the map for a person walking northwards with last sighting at Highfield, they have Plunkett College and its sports grounds directly across the road and farmland behind that with Albert College Park(beside DCU) directly behind that. Further up, there is a left turn at the big houses at Iveagh and then you head onto the crossroads at the big church, there is open waste ground(housing due to be built) to the right and established housing behind that.

At the crossroads, one can turn left and head to DCU(more housing as well) or turn right heading to Whitehall. I cannot see a "hiding place" in either direction, too many houses and not enough closed greenland. Then if one heads past the crossroads continuing northwards, there are two options of a slight left towards Santry (Omni)or a right slip road towards Beaumont, impossible to disappear there without being spotted in the 11am-12pm bracket, a busy Saturday morning full of shoppers. If he got past the Omni, there is an industrial estate on the left, might be quiet on a Saturday morning though but alot of units would have been shuttered. Further on up towards the airport(M1 road) there is no footpath so a large man wandering off that direction on the grass would have been spotted by hundreds of drivers.

He either wandered on a very long walk passing housing estates heading east towards Clontarf or west towards Finglas or north on the Old Swords rd passed the Omni(more cameras), he would have been spotted by many. Or picked up by a vehicle shortly after leaving the hotel, this I think is more likely. Speculation of course, it really is a mystery.

This is why it’s a mystery, there isn’t many places to go. The closest park is ellenfield but again this is a small park. Dublin is so small and that particular area is all very busy roads, strange how nothing has been reports or he hadnt been sighted.

She's presumably upset. She could be nervous. She might have poor English.
    Lots of reasons not to speak out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Artifacting

There's a fair bit of CCTV coverage around Dublin too compared to a lot of continental cities. It shouldn't be that hard to find him.

It's also not an area with many natural hazards. It's mostly just streets of suburban housing and gardens. I can't think of any queries or dangerous drops or anything like that. Even the coastline at Clontarf is very tame and also very busy with walkers almost all the time.

I assume they're asking people within walking distance to check their own gardens, sheds, properties generally, just in case he somehow wandered into private property or became unwell or something. There are lots and lots of big secluded gardens and laneways around Griffith Avenue and the other roads around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is why it’s a mystery, there isn’t many places to go. The closest park is ellenfield but again this is a small park. Dublin is so small and that particular area is all very busy roads, strange how nothing has been reports or he hadnt been sighted.

One wonders where he was going too. Extremely odd that he left the hotel and just started wandering through the suburbs. He was only 24 hours in the city and unfamiliar with Dublin. He doesn't have a map in the CCTV images and hadn't got his phone. How was he going to get back to the hotel unless taking a taxi?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

To any sort of a poker player it's chump change.
    Uncharted wrote: »
    4k to any poker player who travels internationally to play is absolute trash money.

Cash games in pubs on a Tuesday night would easily have €1000 in the pot ffs.

A tournament is a whole other world.

Another level above that is the after tourny side games.

That's really where the big money goes....
    Neither of these points negate that 4 grand is a lot of money if you don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I presume this is the event he was planning to attend as it was on in the Bonnington in February:
    https://dublinpokerfestival.com/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

Neither of these points negate that 4 grand is a lot of money if you don't have it.

Anyone who travels internationally to play poker is unlikely to be pushed to the point of suicide/ disappearance over €4k.

There's also no way of knowing for sure he lost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I certainly hope he didn't kill himself over 4k. There is no price you can put on having your dad around :(

Really hope he turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

pg633 wrote: »
    She's presumably upset. She could be nervous. She might have poor English.
    Lots of reasons not to speak out.

its not just a lack of quote from her, the articles mention her and then seems to not follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Username checks out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

11k raised on a go fund me page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The city council offices have traffic cameras on every other inch of that road -I wonder have the family got onto the production team based in the studios in city hall to see if they can literally see him on the morning in question. Im sure any gaps could be filled with local business or household cctv. Its not as thou the gaurds will bother themselves spending hours trawling through roadside radio production footage to look -unless there is an actual crime or some crimscum is threatened -then they'd be up there with a memory stick using their harcourt st face recognition softwear on it in a headtbeat.

Sincerely hope he turns up safe soon - saw that family putting up posters & driving about along the beachfront the other day - such urgency & dedication - absolutely heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems hard to believe he could have been mugged or attacked on a Saturday at midday in the sunshine in a Dublin suburb and nobody even notice a thing and there be no trace of him afterwards

I'm guessing he went missing either voluntarily or for reasons not connected to foul play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

This is a strange case, but there are some gamblers I know that would have a good day if they only lost 4 grand. The chap wouldn't top himself over that, he would just get another tank and go again. Not hopeful of a positive outcome, missing a while now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement