Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Universe is AWESOME!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Yes, amazing but, if you count each source of light from this image, it's nowhere near 10,000 individual sources of light....

NASA use equipment far more sensitive than our eyes for detecting light emitted by galaxy's.
    Even in those dark places where we can see nothing there are hundered of galaxy's, we can't see them, but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I fcuking hate that word. Fascinating, incredible, amazing, spectacular, magnificent, etc, but awsome? Septics have ruined that word through overuse and trivialitization.
    Septic tanks ruined what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/hudf/hudf.jpg

I think this is the full resolution version, if you zoom in there are plenty of pretty faint red-ish galaxies
    NASA use equipment far more sensitive than our eyes for detecting light emitted by galaxy's.
    Even in those dark places where we can see nothing there are hundered of galaxy's, we can't see them, but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The juni probe will travel 23,214,000,000,000,000,000 Km in 10 billion years
    or 2.5 million light years.
    The observable universe is 93 billion light years in diameter so the juni probe will have travelled just 0.003% of the ways across the universe in 10 billion years! and even then that does'nt account for expansion.

The asteroid belt between jupiter and mars contains millions and millions of asteroids but when NASA launches spacecraft to the outer planets they don't bother trying to negotiate a way through them, because space is so vast and the chances of them hitting one are so small it's not worth their while!
    All this would have had to have happened in the last 50 years for us to see it, so while we cannot absolutely rule out the possibility of humans being the outlier in the universe the chances of us finding alien life in the future i would say is decent enough.

Why do you say all of this would have had to have happened in the last 50 years for us to see it.
    If an alien space probe crashed into Mars say 5000 years ago, NASA cameras would have been able to photograph the debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why do you say all of this would have had to have happened in the last 50 years for us to see it.
    If an alien space probe crashed into Mars say 5000 years ago, NASA cameras would have been able to photograph the debris.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Really?

Have NASA mapped the entire surface of Mars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

And that's assuming that we would be able to recognize it for what it is which is quite the assumption I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

wexie wrote: »
    And that's assuming that we would be able to recognize it for what it is which is quite the assumption I would think?

A non natural wreckage would be very easy to spot in an image.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Really?

Nearly 90% of Mars' surface has been mapped by the high-resolution stereo camera on ESA's Mars Express, which celebrates ten years since launch this June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

One 'awesome' moment for me was looking at Jupiter through a telescope one night.
    I got irritated at the specks of dust that were on the lense which after a quick wipe were still there.

Then it dawned on me that they weren't specks at all but Jupiter's four Moons.
    Is there a word for feeling like an idiot and being awestruck simultaneously?

Jupiter-moons.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

NIMAN wrote: »
    Really?

Yes, and much of it in high resolution. The Mariner 9 orbiter first mapped over 90% of Mars at low resolution back in 1971/72.

We know more detail about the surface of Mars than we know about our ocean floors on Earth.

valoren wrote: »
    One 'awesome' moment for me was looking at Jupiter through a telescope one night.
    I got irritated at the specks of dust that were on the lense which after a quick wipe were still there.

Then it dawned on me that they weren't specks at all but Jupiter's four Moons.
    Is there a word for feeling like an idiot and being awestruck simultaneously?

Jupiter-moons.jpg

Imagine what went through Galileo's mind when he first turned his telescope to the skies...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/apr/25/the-largest-thing-in-the-universe-cosmic-collision-12bn-years-ago-created-mega-galaxy
    The colossal merger of 14 galaxies more than 12 billion years ago has been captured by astronomers who used the world’s most powerful telescopes to peer 90% of the way across the observable universe.

The cosmic pileup occurred 12.4 bn years ago and the resultant gigantic galaxy will have continued to snowball in size ever since. Calculations suggest that by the present day, hundreds more galaxies would have been swallowed up by the cluster, propelling it to a mass equivalent to 1,000 trillion suns, which would make it the largest known object in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But did time exist 12 billion years ago?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But did time exist 12 billion years ago?
    Yes*.

There existed 1.8 billion, give or take 20 million, years of time by then. :pac:

In some mathematical models of the early universe time becomes a complex number when you get closer to the very start, so imaginary time :eek:

*Universe is 13.799±0.021 billion years old based on overlap of data from NASA and ESA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The little Milky Way alone is flush with billions of potentially habitable planets - and that's just one sliver of the universe (there are billions of other galaxies to choose from).

In total around about 6 sextillion (x21 zeros) possible habitable planets in the universe, more than there is individual specs/grains of sand on all of the earths beaches combined.

Who told you that...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A couple of days ago, the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Gaia mission published its first fully 3D map of the Milky Way. The data haul includes the positions of nearly 1.7 billion stars, and the distance, colours, velocities and directions of motion of about 1.3 billion of them.

Only one word for it: Spectacular.

gaia_map.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And yet nearly every newspaper devotes print to astrology on a daily basis ibstead of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wexie wrote: »
    The numbers sure suggest it don't they?

Be a helluva coincidence if it was just our little planet that somehow managed to have the right conditions for life no?

What's the coincidence?
    That life is on the only plant where life developed?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kivaro wrote: »
    A couple of days ago, the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Gaia mission published its first fully 3D map of the Milky Way. The data haul includes the positions of nearly 1.7 billion stars, and the distance, colours, velocities and directions of motion of about 1.3 billion of them.

Only one word for it: Spectacular.

gaia_map.jpg

I have another word for it.......wide. Ruined my browser formatting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

And they sent out their radio signals in analogue format like we did before they subsequently moved to digital.

There is no such thing as a 'digital radio signal', all radio signals are actually analogue. You can encode information onto these signals in a Digital (e.g. think DAB/DVB etc) or Analogue (e.g. think FM Radio) manner, but the fact remains that the transmitted signal itself is still analogue.

So there, now you know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've posted this before but I often think of it and it still blows my mind so I'm inflicting it on you all again.

Remember the analogue tv we all had has kids, the stations that were not tuned in were just snow and static noise?
    On those untuned stations we flicked past with the remote, 4% of that static we heard is actually noise/static/molecules bouncing around left over from the Big Bang.
    So there in your sitting room on Saturday morning waiting for kids tv to start or whatever you were doing with the snow channel on, you were listening to a tiny fragment of the origin of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

GIF of images taken by the Philae lander on the surface of Comet 67P

comettttt.gif

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    GIF of images taken by the Philae lander on the surface of Comet 67P

comettttt.gif

I call fake!
    You cant even see the nightswatch on top of the wall!

This is one of my favourites...

File:Pale_Blue_Dot.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

With so many stars and so my galaxies it is odd to think there is only one universe.

Whatever started the universe, the big bang, why couldn't their be another big bang, or big bangs happening elsewhere, either in parallel with ours or chronologically after or before. I can't believe there is just one universe that will expand till it's death and that's it, nothing like it to happen ever again.

AllForIt wrote: »
    With so many stars and so my galaxies it is odd to think there is only one universe.

Whatever started the universe, the big bang, why couldn't their be another big bang, or big bangs happening elsewhere, either in parallel with ours or chronologically after or before. I can't believe there is just one universe that will expand till it's death and that's it, nothing like it to happen ever again.

There is a theory describing this in Physics called Multiverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

While the math behind such a theory is sound, it remains the case that it would be highly unlikely if not indeed impossible for the theory to ever be proven by experiment, which in itself renders it pretty worthless to many in the science community.

AllForIt wrote: »

But where would it happen?
    What's the universe in...?

Also, if the universe is 13bn years old, why is it only 10bn light years wide? Shouldn't light from the big bang be moving at the speed of light and thus the universe should be at least 13bn light years wide? If not, is this light queuing up at the edge of the universe?

Bah, no sleep for me tonight so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

GreeBo wrote: »
    But where would it happen?
    What's the universe in...?

Also, if the universe is 13bn years old, why is it only 10bn light years wide? Shouldn't light from the big bang be moving at the speed of light and thus the universe should be at least 13bn light years wide? If not, is this light queuing up at the edge of the universe?

Bah, no sleep for me tonight so!
    The universe is far bigger than that, it's at least 47 trillion light years.

What the universe is actually "in" is unknown, indeed if it is "in" anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

skallywag wrote: »
    While the math behind such a theory is sound, it remains the case that it would be highly unlikely if not indeed impossible for the theory to ever be proven by experiment, which in itself renders it pretty worthless to many in the science community.
    Actually the maths behind it isn't sound, although this not commonly reported. All multiverse theories are on shaky ground mathematically in some respect.

Advertisement