Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate wages?

Options
  • 10-10-2017 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Currently on £19k here until the north in the manufacturing industry. About £3k short of the average. How much do you/did you earn as a graduate out of uni? Also, does a postgraduate qualification improve your chances at getting better wages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Was on 19k on gap years in uni. If you're willing to work for 19k as a graduate then it's because you're not experienced or ballsy enough to command more. I was on over 30k graduating withou the need for stupid masters degrees and what not. Plain old paper will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Currently on £19k here until the north in the manufacturing industry. About £3k short of the average. How much do you/did you earn as a graduate out of uni? Also, does a postgraduate qualification improve your chances at getting better wages?

Graduate wages will vary dramatically depending on where in the country you are the your chosen career.
    An arts degree graduate living in the country will have very different job prospects and salary than an IT graduate living in Dublin.

I earned €22k 10 years ago in an call center IT support job as my first job out of college in galway.

Id say you either have chosen a very easy job or they are taking you for a ride on 19k. Like your only a few k above minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I found employment a few months out of college. Started out on 32k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Don't know how anyone could survive in a city like Dublin on less than €25k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'll be a graduate soon and expect between 26K - 32K in tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some scraps from the master's table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Only on 24k, but harder for me to find a job because I had a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Started on 30k back in 2010. I've heard that graduates now can start on 35-40k.

I.T. man, it's like, the bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Was on 19k on gap years in uni. If you're willing to work for 19k as a graduate then it's because you're not experienced or ballsy enough to command more. I was on over 30k graduating withou the need for stupid masters degrees and what not. Plain old paper will do me.
    Ni has the worst wages about, particularly outside Belfast. There are people with 6/7 years experience out of uni only on £24k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What industry?

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    What industry?
    Manufacturing
    The company has a profit of 100million but the owners are too greedy to.hand out decent wages and then complain when everyone leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Austria! wrote: »
    Only on 24k, but harder for me to find a job because I had a PhD.

Same here, tough having a pretty huge dick. Distracting female co-workers and ruining male co-workers esteem and morale is the excuse I've been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Just because you leave college and start out in the workforce is not a right of passage to command big wages, you still have to walk before you run and you have alot to learn about the real working world.

You have to work your way up, we are part of the x factor generation at the moment, people have a sense of entitlement, you still have to the grunt work starting out, degree or no degree

Just because you leave college and start out in the workforce is not a right of passage to command big wages, you still have to walk before you run and you have alot to learn about the real working world.

You have to work your way up, we are part of the x factor generation at the moment, people have a sense of entitlement, you still have to the grunt work starting out, degree or no degree
    The same job as me in England would command £4-5k extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

£21,176 stg in 2010. Think at the time, it was around €26,000. UK government agency. Junior tech position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Graduate wages are excellent now.

If you trained as an accountant in the late 90's you'd have been on about 75% of what the dole was.

Now if you train you will be on 150%-200% or c. 15 to 20 grand.

If you are a teacher you will be on about 30e an hour straight out these door, and that is before the value of pensions and benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Just graduated and started as a junior software engineer in Dublin. On 35k but from what I seen I'm lucky that's the upper end of scale , some company's offering as low as 28k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

djPSB wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone could survive in a city like Dublin on less than €25k.

With rents how they are currently, it would be tough. But only five years ago, €25,000 would have been grand in Dublin.

Advertisement