Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Tax bands fair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Another frightened specimen. Pathetic. They take your money and make lives very bad for many people in this country but according to you that is perfectly ok because you might be stabbed?

No money, homeless, starving - most of their efforts would turn from drug dealing and criminality to simple survival overnight just to eat.

That would put discipline in to their own lives quick fast.

Lol. Firstly the vast majority of people on welfare are not criminals. That's utterly insane. In fact most of them are ex-workers. Secondly the successful drug dealers and criminal classes don't really need welfare payments, although they may take them. Some criminals are millionaires.

All your fanaticism would harm is the the working and middle classes, who would be terrified of losing jobs and destitute without jobs. Like the 19th century. The criminal classes would thrive and multiply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nah will all the tax you save you can afford private healthcare private police it will all work out grand. Sure you will be able to afford a armoured car to defend from the hungry masses and home security to defend your property life and stuff. You know with all that tax you save.

And a gated community. To keep the poor out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

efb wrote: »
    Well those that wanted a flat tax rate said people that earned more were job creators, I didn't make that claim. I support a progressive tax system.

Yes I was agreeing with you. The guy you quoted used "job creators" incorrectly.

Yes I was agreeing with you. The guy you quoted used "job creators" incorrectly.

Cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/index.html

Here is the page with the reliefs and exemptions on income tax in Ireland, like me to do a copy and paste???

Very good. And which ones are you against?

And please answer the question rather than deflecting.

Name 5 you are against. Since you said there were lots this should be an easy task for you.

(I've already said I work in tax so don't bother linking me to Revenue again - I could recite that entire site from memory)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

And a gated community. To keep the poor out.

Community? You mean private island so he doesn't have to look at anyone who isn't him.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Name 5 you are against. Since you said there were lots this should be an easy task for you.

(I've already said I work in tax so don't bother linking me to Revenue again - I could recite that entire site from memory)

Where did I say I was against them?

One which I was against- gone now was the house building grants that helped over inflate the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Does anyone really believe that a higher tax band would be a disincentive to people becoming rich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I highly doubt that one, For a start it's Taxation And the Revenue does that Job. Then you have the Government that implement tax laws and alike. Which one do you work for ?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe that a higher tax band would be a disincentive to people becoming rich?

The biggest negative I would envisage would be the increase in tax evasion that was rampant in our country during times of high taxation

• Advertisement

I highly doubt that one, For a start it's Taxation And the Revenue does that Job. Then you have the Government that implement tax laws and alike. Which one do you work for ?

He's very knowledgeable don't question him! And he won't answer things but expect answers from you!

Where did I say I was against them?

One which I was against- gone now was the house building grants that helped over inflate the housing market.

"Lots of tax breaks for various spurious reasons in this great little country of ours." implies to me that you are against a fair chunk of tax reliefs in Ireland.

And the only one you can think of is one that doesn't exist anymore?

Come on man...you can troll better than that surely.

The biggest negative I would envisage would be the increase in tax evasion that was rampant in our country during times of high taxation

Aye a more effective thing to do would be in regards to taxing bonuses and alike. Those kind of top ups.

Tax is short hand for taxation so I don't know what you're trying to catch me with there.

I don't work for either. I work in income tax in a financial services company. But enough about me, what do you do?

Tax is short hand for taxation so I don't know what you're trying to catch me with there.

I don't work for either. I work in income tax in a financial services company. But enough about me, what do you do?

Work in income tax? You mean payroll?

Got all your Exams and qualifications and software knowledge go you!

He's very knowledgeable don't question him! And he won't answer things but expect answers from you!

I don't recall you asking any questions for me to answer

I don't recall you asking any questions for me to answer

You haven't contributed a point to this thread except ask questions of others.

That would be the infrastructure that your company would use, The banks the world Economy The internet What the Information age runs on.

What is your position on the taxation of incomes in Ireland as per the thread? Bubbaclaus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Absolutely not. We still find ourselves living through the generations that were born in the 40's and 50's. They came into power recently and implemented a lovely sort of Social Democracy. Full of virtue, good intentions and an acceptance of a 51% gross income tax.

People are living longer, children are living at home for longer, social structures are changing. The model we have at the moment cannot continue. I still believe allowing small business and innovation to be the cornerstone of any economy is the way we can continue to offer some sort of social democracy.

I know it's considered an outrage to say, but I think this FG and Labour Government has been a really good one in the general scheme of things.

• Advertisement

Work in income tax? You mean payroll?

Got all your Exams and qualifications and software knowledge go you!

You think working in income tax means working in payroll?

Jeez...im fighting a losing battle here.

(PS...if it wasn't for our IT department I'd barely know how to turn on a computer...nevermind have a software qualification)

What is your position on the taxation of incomes in Ireland as per the thread? Bubbaclaus?

Well if he means what I think he means, Giving advice to the well off to Avoid/minimise their tax exposure. Unless it's just pay roll. :pac:

Absolutely not. We still find ourselves living through the generations that were born in the 40's and 50's. They came into power recently and implemented a lovely sort of Social Democracy. Full of virtue, good intentions and an acceptance of a 51% gross income tax.

People are living longer, children are living at home for longer, social structures are changing. The model we have at the moment cannot continue. I still believe allowing small business and innovation to be the cornerstone of any economy is the way we can continue to offer some sort of social democracy.

I know it's considered an outrage to say, but I think this FG and Labour Government has been a really good one in the general scheme of things.

With the exception of Irish Water which they royally fcuked up- I agree with the principle not with this the company was created- I think they did a good job

You do realize you responded to me originally, with the post you responded to having the answer to the above question, yes?

You think working in income tax means working in payroll?

Jeez...im fighting a losing battle here.

(PS...if it wasn't for our IT department I'd barely know how to turn on a computer...nevermind have a software qualification)

I'll note that wasn't a no, but rather deflection.

That would be the infrastructure that your company would use, The banks the world Economy The internet What the Information age runs on.

Youre a barrista?

(I kid)

You do realize you responded to me originally, with the post you responded to having the answer to the above question, yes?

Quote it for me, I'm clearly not as clever as you and I didn't see it. Where it clearly outlined your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Dots1982 wrote: »
    When you think about is it fair that people who earn more income pay a greater rate of tax..like really..when you think about it..

High earners are receiving a greater benefit from society than low earners, so it makes sense that they should also have a greater share of the burden when it comes to funding that society.

I'll note that wasn't a no, but rather deflection.

If you require a definite answer then no, I do not work in payroll or have a software qualification.

• Advertisement

Quote it for me, I'm clearly not as clever as you and I didn't see it. Where it clearly outlined your position.

There isn't a uniform tax policy in the developed world.

Advertisement