Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-03-2010, 14:14   #16
DK32

That's crazy money. The most the pump should cost is €500, then you need to pay to have it fitted. A decent plumber will get the pump cheaper than retail prices and fitting should not cost much if it's a straight replacement.
Advertisement
29-03-2010, 14:17   #17
loyatemu

we moved elsewhere in the town to a house with no pump, & the pressure in the taps and the shower is fine. Plus the hot water lasts much much longer (in Charlesland it was touch and go as to whether both of us could have a shower in the morning before the water ran out - it has never run out on us in the new place, despite the cylinder being the same size).

The pumps are noisy, they waste water and electricity and it seems they're unnecessary if the house has been plumbed properly.
Thanks from:
01-04-2010, 12:14   #18
beachbabe

Robbie, The pump has no switch, it was installed seperately, sorry
02-04-2010, 18:43   #19

Thanks all for the help.
07-05-2010, 15:56   #20

I have a switch in my hot press that switches it off. So I only use it when having a shower.

Not sure if all the houses have it though, as my neighbours don't and the pump drives me mad!
Advertisement
23-07-2010, 01:00   #21
GearMaven

Sorry, to pop up months later than last post but was just researching help on this issue. We just now are helping elderly aunt redo bathroom, and plumber suggested we have pump installed next to new larger hot water cylinder in upstairs closet (hot press?). In USA we don't generally need pumps at all, so we are clueless.

We weren't around today while he finished and returned to find absolutely horrendous noise when using all hot water taps, upstairs cold taps, upstairs toilets, etc. This is unbelieveable. Sounds as if 20 drills are being used throughout house. How could anyone sleep or even work through this?

Please tell me this isn't the only solution for a powerful shower? We weren't having any pressure problems with regular water use through taps or when using ensuite power shower. However, we already had found the ceiling vent (fan) and power shower in ensuite to be annoyingly loud when using early a.m.

Are there no silent solutions to the water pressure problem? Reading all the posts it sounds as if, even if we only turn on for showering, we'll have this terrible noise every time? Is this correct? Please advise as I'll need to have this all pulled out again if no solution. Can't imagine putting up with that at any time night or day. Poor elderly father will go batty listening to that!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edit: Found soundproofing suggestion in other thread posting: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=57054456

Last edited by GearMaven; 23-07-2010 at 01:27. Reason: Further research found suggestion.
09-12-2019, 16:39   #22
Wurley

Hi, I know this is thread is years old but just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I live in an apartment and since the new owner refurbished the noise levels have gone through the roof esp the pump and I can actually hear the water tank refill. I never had this issue previously. The other residents were above me for over 8 years and I hardly ever heard them. I’ve gone through management company and called into them and I’m not getting anywhere. Has anyone ever had a similar issue and got any positive results. I’ve heard you can contact someone from the hse about noise pollution but can’t find the relevant link. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion