Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The eternal Quake1 vs Quake2 battle...

Options
  • 14-07-1999 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Quake 1 players! Sick of those lowly, unskilled Quake2 players using up your server bandwidth with their power hungry, flashy, colourful but ultimately shallow and soulless game?

Quake 2 Players! Tired to death of those Quake1 troglodytes whining and moaning and being an offense to humanity by playing a very brown game with no textures and their complete inability to handle alcohol?

Well.... Now there's a chance for you all to get your own back.

The scenario: A sultry day sometime in August. Quake1 and Quake2 players all gather on a rugged mountain slope to sort out their eternal feud (Quake1 players claim an erosion of their civil and gaming liberties... Quake2 players don't want them marching through their servers...) by the age old means of.... firing small pellets of paint at each other very, very fast.

Yes, friends, paintball. Teams divided along the Quake1/Quake2 division, with the Tribes players, being mercenaries at heart, going to whatever team offers the best deal.

I don't have a firm date or a venue, or indeed a price (be warned though, paintballing can work out quite expensive), but before I spend time working out details, I want to know if there's sufficent interest to go ahead with this. Post here if you're up for some REAL "multiplayer" mayhem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep I'll be up for this. Shinji is this the one with Paint Mines and Grenades (especially grenades wink.gif)

Now wheres my Paintball Rocketlauncher. Must stock up with Woodies emulsion tongue.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

do you think its wise to give some of these head cases weapons :-)

Do you also think its wise making us all excerise...

Show us your hacked skins now ya kunts ya !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Can we bring our own guns ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

for large groups.. say about 25/30
    for a full day it would cost about 20 quid each.
    thats with 60 free balls
    extra balls (bags of 60) cost a fiver each.

expect to go through at least 3 bags (including the free one) if your good...
    5 if your just crap and shoot like mad.

depending on the places you go to theres a multitude of different games as well..
    capture the flag being the best smile.gif
    actually they all have something to do with flags.. hmmmm.

So this is my life ... yay!
    kane@redbrick.dcu.ie
    start.at/kali

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw I like the sound of the "Salman Rushtie" Game. One person on the team becomes the "target" the rest of the team are his bodyguards and the other team have to try and "take him out" smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

he still gets to hold a flag though smile.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I'd be definitly on for this...

Hmm....do the whole "I was in the Nam thing"...Charlie was waiiiitin'...Gooks! Gooks everywhere! (best said while randomly spraying the undergrowth and your team)

dra-(are YOU talkin' to ME?)-co

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Sounds good! I'd be on for it..

Draco! They're talking about Paintball, not having a p1ss in the forest... tongue.gif

anyway, get back to work and DEVELOPE boy! Develope! smile.gif

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Alan

Sounds cool.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

aye i want in....the quake2 lads...thanks to me....get to carry blackthorn to beat the dying quake1 lads...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I was thinking of getting one somewhere nearer Dublin tbh, altho the one in Rossmore is cool...

Where would we put this crowd up for the night in Monaghan ffs! smile.gif

Oh, and speaking of gandalfs suggestion for the "Salman Rushdie" game... Did I mention that Daa is invited? tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Ok good idea a friend of mine uncle i think owns the one in dublin mountains.
    I played it b4 and its good. To play itself is not expensive its the paintball that get you. there the killer.the cost everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

depending on numbers, accommodation *might* not be a problem. rev hellfires folks have a massive house smile.gif I could take a few as well, plus I've a few mates in town who *might* help out with floorspace.

anyways, you need about 10 per team for it to be any good. you also need to play somewhere that uses the "once yer shot, yer out for that game" rule. it makes it much more nerve-wracking than the run around like school children effort that I've seen someplaces.

usually the "shot ur out" is for two minutes
    then if your still able to walk and your ears have stopped ringing(if you've been shot square on the forehead) then u get out and murder ppl smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

And back up you go.... RESPOND IF YER UP FOR IT PPL....

(bloody BoN posting crap when he should be working, driving important posts down the board... I dunno, kids these days...)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Yeah sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Sounds like fun

smile.gif

fluke by name
    fluke by nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Can i be in goal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

bet ill be the last one to be picked....always happens...first it was ****ing...primary school hurling.....then ****ing quake2....now this paintball malarky......pffff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sher this blackthorn thing is really preying on yer mind isn't it?? smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was recently up at the one near the Scalp (Kilternan)... good site... good guns... well run...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

as I said i`m in...

Ro.

Ro
    http://www.iol.ie/~joesoap/qamex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hayer

Hey PALS, ye count me in. I'd sure as hell like to shoot some ****0rs in the community atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Right, if ronin is in so am I
    hehehehe

Gav/Verb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

most definately in smile.gif

"Gimee somthin' to shoot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Oh. Real weapons? Quake 1ers? Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Whose bringing the kegs of beer pardon the pun?

Kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Coyote

I'm in for sure

Death to all Quake 1 scum

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Yes Yes - Im there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I'd love to go.
    Make sure railguns are banned though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ohh goody goody goody.

does anyone have a spare grapple?

hahaha, and no shouting lagggg and running on the spot either.
    and no bringing along tinfoil axes wink.gif

Advertisement