Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best 3rd world charity to donate to?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Would you agree that their advocacy now reflects the aims of their benefactors?

If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of Amnesty start a separate thread on it and grind your axe there.

Touchy subject for you is it? You resurrected this thread. Dodge questions then backseat mod. There are enough existing threads on here and other pages online highlighting the hypocrisy of Amnesty without me having to highlight them here.
    Don't worry. Your secret is safe.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Would you agree that their advocacy now reflects the aims of their benefactors?

If you want to discuss the rights and wrongs of Amnesty start a separate thread on it and grind your axe there.

Touchy subject for you is it? You resurrected this thread. Dodge questions then backseat mod. There are enough existing threads on here and other pages online highlighting the hypocrisy of Amnesty without me having to highlight them here.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I haven't a notion what any of the above is supposed to mean, nor do I care.

I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Do you or your contacts know anyone personally who works or volunteers in the 3rd world as teacher, doctor, nurse, nun etc.. Ask them what a local cause they have to teach or care to out there.

Perhaps you have a local hospital where a doctor volunteers there holiday time out there and your donation, would help him bring some equipment.

Many of these people come home on holidays and have local fundraisers in their community, and the funds surely go to front of line use in the 3rd world.

HOWEVER I am very wary of local scout/ school / one newtime fundraiser organizing a trip to 3rd world to work on some cause. I have some seen the use of money to buy materials/expertise here in Ireland inappropriate to the 3rd world. A school group near me were raising money to build a small deck in a disabled home. THey spent a lot of money shipping in building materials which they were used to from ireland, but are not used out there e.g planed rafters and cement. Locals out there could have built the extension for 10% of the cost using mud straw and recycled rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

(replace Haiti with anywhere that needs a hand)

JZIyM0G.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

My son has volunteered abroad and in Ireland with a third world organisation called Suas, and his experience was overwhelmingly positive. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more details.

Advertisement