Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurants, take aways, hygiene inspectors... cockroaches

Options
  • 09-10-2017 9:11pm

I had to take a double take this evening and look closely at the year of this article: Dublin shop and restaurant closed due to rat and cockroach infestations: Rat droppings, live cockroaches and mice discovered by FSAI last month:
    The Akash restaurant in Blackrock, south Dublin, which describes itself as a “fine Indian dining” establishment, was closed for a period of almost two weeks between late September and early October after inspectors encountered evidence of “an extensive infestation of cockroaches throughout the kitchen”.
    Live nymph and adult cockroaches were found along with cockroach egg casings, while cockroach excrement was evident around a wash hand basin as well as behind fridges.

It was noted that “cockroaches pose a grave and immediate danger as they can move from areas of filth and dirt to food contact areas and food itself, potentially transmitting food poisoning bacteria”.

That is on this evening's Irish Times website. 9 October 2017. Alarm bells everywhere for me as it sounded disturbingly familiar - even though this evening's Irish Times article hasn't a single mention of any previous offence by this restaurant. Disturbingly familiar as I had just brought my family out to the above restaurant three years ago when a very, very similar story appeared in the same Irish Times shortly afterwards:

Cows’ feet and dead rats among reasons for temporary closures of food outlets: Food Safety Authority of Ireland records show HSE officers found cockroach infestations:
    Live and dead cockroaches were also discovered in some food businesses during the year. In August, “an extensive infestation of cockroaches” was found at Akash restaurant in Blackrock, Co Dublin. “Many dead cockroach bodies were noted throughout the premises . . . A live cockroach was observed walking across the over-counter refrigeration unit.” The closure order was made on August 7th and lifted on August 22nd.

Note the date: 30 December 2014. And, yes, it is the same restaurant: Akash in Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

So, my question is: what does it take for the health inspectors for the Irish state to close down a business for good? Why is this business getting a mere 2-week closure order for such a serious offence, an offence for which it was already closed down for a few years ago?

As far as I'm concerned a business has zero rights as soon as it begins to endanger our health, no matter what the idiots who give out about "nanny states" say. We need much more regulation of these bastards, not less. While it's understandable that a business can get another chance for run-of-the-mill breaches, it is considerably more difficult to understand why our restaurant/take away health regulators are allowing such repeat offenders to keep coming back into business after being found guilty of the same very serious hygiene breach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

The thing here is that if YOU hadn't remembered the previous incident, we'd probably be none the wiser. It should be incumbent on the authority to :
    1. identify this as a repeat offence
    2. apply more stringent sanction for a second or subsequent offence - up to and including permanent closure and banned from holding a licence for a serious length of time.
    3. INFORM the public of the history of the establishment.

Obviously the current sanctions are useless.

Advertisement