Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lads look what I spotted in Co.Cork tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The sticker on the window is nearly worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

No idea why they think it looks better than a white plate.

Was a gang of young fellas aswell. Ya they are so stupid those number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

fin12 wrote: »
    Lads look what I spotted in Co.Cork tonight.

Powered by FAS..... Thought they were gone moons ago...

Surprised it doesn't have powered by the dole to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a dark Corolla saloon in the 95 year shape, paddy spec, has a yellow plate, in Borrisokane, Tipperary.

There's a dark Corolla saloon in the 95 year shape, paddy spec, has a yellow plate, in Borrisokane, Tipperary.

Is it’s TN reg? Would I be right in saying a lot of these yellow reg are D, TN , TS,and DL, I haven’t seen them much on other county reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Yellow regies!!!

A border thing very popular around Donegal and surrounding counties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Just as bad as the clowns who replace the IRL with D and put the German tax stickers on the plate too.

How much is the fine again for having one of these yellow reg plates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

pgj2015 wrote: »
    would a yellow plate not be illegal in the republic?

As far as I am aware the law here states that plates must be white on front and rear.But who is going to enforce it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Just as bad as the clowns who replace the IRL with D and put the German tax stickers on the plate too.

It looks even more ridiculous to Germans. Can you imagine some moron driving around Hamburg or Düsseldorf with their plates restyled in an Irish format?!

Also the U.K. yellow plates on the cars look way worse than the more Euro looking ones we use in my opinion.

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/EU_EURO.html

I would assume it’s some sort of weird southern unionist / Brexiteer type driving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

They want people to think they have a higher spec UK car compared to the Irish potato version they have.They also want you to think they are British for some reason. They probably think the Garda won't harrass a UK car driver over here. Maybe they worship her majesty and have her picture on the wall in their house. I just think they are iffy young lads with their 3k paddy spec diesal shed they bought on donedeal thinking they have a high end car or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Does the provo footballer who hates poppies drive a yellow reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It doesn't say much for road policing here that you can drive around with impunity with a dodgy reg.

🙈🙉🙊

440Hertz wrote: »
    It looks even more ridiculous to Germans. Can you imagine some moron driving around Hamburg or Düsseldorf with their plates restyled in an Irish format?!

Also the U.K. yellow plates on the cars look way worse than the more Euro looking ones we use in my opinion.

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/EU_EURO.html

I would assume it’s some sort of weird southern unionist / Brexiteer type driving the car.

its the old Irish inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its the old Irish inferiority complex.

:confused:

Are you saying that Irish people who German type stickers on their reg plates are not odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It doesn't say much for road policing here that you can drive around with impunity with a dodgy reg.

It shows that a lot of Guards aren't interested in proactive policing.

Pull over some jackass with a dodgy plate and you could find a lot of other laws being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

never seen those, what about the plates where reg no is small print, is that legal

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

imme wrote: »
    :confused:

Are you saying that Irish people who German type stickers on their reg plates are not odd.

im saying they feel inferior being Irish and so think other cultures are better so get UK or German plates.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    never seen those, what about the plates where reg no is small print, is that legal

No they are illegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The NI plate is different in the same way as the Jersey or Isle of Man plates are also different. It's done for Customs and Excise purposes, as Jersey pays different rates for cars and island cars enjoy some exemptions in the UK system.

Nothing to do with that. Under the 1920 Roads Act everywhere in the UK (which included all of Ireland at the time) got allocated letters for each county. All Irish plates had to include either an I (for Ireland) or Z (for "We don't care about you stinking Paddies".)

e.g. for Dublin there was RI, YI, ZA, ZI, ZO, ZU among others. When combinations started to run out, a sequence letter was introduced, AZO, BZO etc. and later still the whole sequence was reversed, so 123 AZO instead of AZO 123.

We kept that system until 1986 when we introduced year numbers and the current county letter system.

In parts of Britain they were running out of registrations by the early 60s so they introduced the year letter. NI had its own government and wasn't running out so they stuck with what they had. Later, when NI did start to run out, they introduced a fourth digit instead of a year letter, which is what they still use.

TL, DR: yellow platers are knobs

Life ain't always empty.

boombang wrote: »
    Maybe we can establish a thread with photos of all of these wanna be Brits and German plate idiots. Insurance companies can check for fools and jack up their premiums accordingly.

They have insurance?

Also UK plates must have a garage or point of sale on them.

In tiny lettering yes (as in the bottom right of the plates below). Not the big dealer name stuff which is just an ad.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/services/replacement-number-plates-made-at-halfords.html

cml387 wrote: »
    I think the German plates are designed to be more easily read by speed cameras. The bit missing from the 0 is designed to distinguish it from an O.

Nope. It was brought in in the 70s after the Baader-Meinhof terrorists used to steal cars and alter their plates. The font is designed to be difficult to alter characters without having it look wrong.

Life ain't always empty.

How so? They could be getting taken to court on a weekly basis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yellow Irish rear plates and faux German plates make it easier to identify knobends on the roads.
    I know about the yellow plates but what are the "faux German plates" you speak of??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It shows that a lot of Guards aren't interested in proactive policing.

Pull over some jackass with a dodgy plate and you could find a lot of other laws being broken.

Speaking from experience, the dodgy ones don't have the yellow plates. They tend to want to stand out less, so usually have standard looking cars. The yellow plates are usually just young lads who think they're cool, and normally have everything in order.

The main reason, I suspect, is because it's a court appearance instead of a fine iirc, and it's just not worth the hassle for what the Judge would do (strike it out or let them off with a warning). Also, i've no doubt if they Gardai went to town on yellow plates, there'd be a thread on here with people moaning and giving out saying they're delaying them with checkpoints or pulling cars over causing a delay instead of "katchin da reel crimenals"...

That and they're probably too busy to stop for something so minor. Probably a 50/50 deal.

Speaking from experience, the dodgy ones don't have the yellow plates. They tend to want to stand out less, so usually have standard looking cars. The yellow plates are usually just young lads who think they're cool, and normally have everything in order.

The main reason, I suspect, is because it's a court appearance instead of a fine iirc, and it's just not worth the hassle for what the Judge would do (strike it out or let them off with a warning). Also, i've no doubt if they Gardai went to town on yellow plates, there'd be a thread on here with people moaning and giving out saying they're delaying them with checkpoints or pulling cars over causing a delay instead of "katchin da reel crimenals"...

That and they're probably too busy to stop for something so minor. Probably a 50/50 deal.
    I definitely wouldn’t be moaning, I’d be delighted seeing someone get caught for their yellow plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know about the yellow plates but what are the "faux German plates" you speak of??

Usually found on grown-up boy racers on their second hand German cars.
    The sillier ones have the small fake German safety test and reg stickers on them. It's as ridiculous as a German printing out fake Irish NCT stickers and putting them up.

How so? They could be getting taken to court on a weekly basis

Suuuuure. :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen the tiny N plates? id say they are the same geniuses that have the yellow plates.

Advertisement