Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yellow rear number plate (Mod Note Post #169)

Options
  • 30-09-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

Why do people change their rear number plates to yellow ones? Irish cars with say a DL reg but its yellow. The white plates look better so why change them? do they want to be British or what is the story?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've never seen this. Maybe it's just a thing in border counties? I'm suggesting that since you mention DL plates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd say it's a border county thing where they used a print shop in Northern Ireland that only had yellow plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I've never seen this. Maybe it's just a thing in border counties? I'm suggesting that since you mention DL plates.

Im in the west of Ireland and see it a lot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Possibly people who work across the border and don't want to get their car vandalised for having Irish plates?

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd say it's a border county thing where they used a print shop in Northern Ireland that only had yellow plates.

would a yellow plate not be illegal in the republic?

• Advertisement

Less likely to stand out as an Irish car at a glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Yellow reg on a black car looks cool (imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's gob****es being gob****es.

Mostly found on diesels bellowing out black smoke like they're ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I've seen loads of them. Usually youngfellas in a ****box jetta with some cringworthy stickers on the back windscreen, lowered as low as it could possibly go, super bright and out of focus HID kit lights, tinted windows darker than night and them driving around with a hood up thinking they're harder than a quarry..

Less likely to stand out as an Irish car at a glance.

Yes but im talking about lads who have probably never been in northern Ireland in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why do people change their rear number plates to yellow ones? Irish cars with say a DL reg but its yellow. The white plates look better so why change them? do they want to be British or what is the story?

I think it’s like a Donegal thing cause I’ve never seen it anywhere else in the country. I think it’s pretty stupid cause from a distance u think it’s a English reg car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Possibly people who work across the border and don't want to get their car vandalised for having Irish plates?

I was thinking along those lines. Saw a van recently with a RoI reg but yellow plates the way the letters/numbers were arranged looked like a NI. I guessed that if they visit the 6 regularly they won't stand out.

fin12 wrote: »
    I think it’s like a Donegal thing cause I’ve never seen it anywhere else in the country. I think it’s pretty stupid cause from a distance u think it’s a English reg car.

it has definitely spread outside Donegal. I think its so stupid as well, like are they west brits or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Big thing here in Cavan too as is near illegible number plate font or the German style combined with a Nuremberg sticker.

It’s mostly young yahoos being yahoos, but I see some lads in their 40/50’s doing it amd I just think that they should give in and grow up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What's with people in general putting hideous looking modified reg plates on cars. Should be illegal imo to have a reg plate that's not in the standard font.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i've never seen the yellow plates on an irish car

it may be an attempt (misguided, most likely) to fool the speed cameras?

particularly the German style where the numbers/letters may be too close together for the camera to distinguish.

or it's simply gob****tery of the highest order.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

_Brian wrote: »
    Big thing here in Cavan too as is near illegible number plate font or the German style combined with a Nuremberg sticker.

It’s mostly young yahoos being yahoos, but I see some lads in their 40/50’s doing it amd I just think that they should give in and grow up.

That’s true, the only ones I’ve seen it are young fellas in modified BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

Amirani wrote: »

Donegal boy racers, they have white plates in the north as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

GT89 wrote: »
    What's with people in general putting hideous looking modified reg plates on cars. Should be illegal imo to have a reg plate that's not in the standard font.

it is illegal afaik, but like a lot of things, not enforced.

I live near a small rural town, prob 2000 population.

I’m sure as a guard you could stand on Main Street every day all day handing out summons for blue lights to the front, number plate violations, no seatbelts, children not in seats and phone use while driving.

I’d say 40 fines a day minimum without leaving main street.

I don’t think as a guard I’d be very popular.

• Advertisement

I’m sure as a guard you could stand on Main Street every day all day handing out summons for blue lights to the front, number plate violations, no seatbelts, children not in seats and phone use while driving.

I would be throwing tickets out as well. its the small things you need to stop. The guards may think they are being sound but in the end people loose respect for them if they can get away with all the small things.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I would be throwing tickets out as well. its the small things you need to stop. The guards may think they are being sound but in the end people loose respect for them if they can get away with all the small things.

I think the same.
    Zero tolerance on motoring offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You might be with your superintendent!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its a big thing with the young bucks....

A lot tend to have mats as mud flaps and a CB ariel too....

As mentioned smoke marks and puffs out the rear and many tend to be lowered to the point of beyond dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

More likely to be a NI reg car.
    ... different to an English reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I think the German plates are designed to be more easily read by speed cameras. The bit missing from the 0 is designed to distinguish it from an O.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No they're Irish, the numpties think it looks cool, it has a place in the rally scene too.

UK reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I put them on a Sprinter van once a few years back as I was advised to do so by the site foreman. Was working in Belfast, out near Holywood. Had to pick up and drop off people at Belfast Central train station in the morning and evenings, then go out to a B&B on the Antrim Rd.

Drove Dublin - Belfast Monday morning and back on a Friday afternoon. Van was usually parked up in Dublin at the weekends.

Did it for 5 months, I was never stopped once by the Gardai. PSNI asked me once about the plates, when I explained it, he said 'fair enough', and let me go. That was in Belfast City Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

NI and UK are both on rear yellow reg plates.

3 Letters on left rear yellow plate is NI.

2 Letters, 2 numerals on left rear yellow plate is UK.

Advertisement