Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burial or Cremation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

POLL NEEDED ...

1/Buried...
    2/Cremated.
    3/Composted.
    4/Ashes scattered.
    4/Blown off into space...
    6/Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MsStote wrote: »
    Cremation in the Cork crematorium. Gorgeous place and so much cheaper. I have it in the will that I want the cheapest option, even if it is cardboard. I am to be placed into a biodegradable container. Then throw me off a cliff in West Cork lol no scattering ashes, I seen how horrible that goes wrong!

My late sister (very young and very sad too) had her cremation in the Island in Ringaskiddy. Was very moving and we all sang in the room too.

Sorry for bringing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I want to start the afterlife the way I finish this life. So crematorium it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Zaph wrote: »
    Probably buried, I'm not great with the heat.

Get the undertaker to lather you in factor 50 first?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I like the idea of doing my bit for long lost Auzzie &NZ in-laws and providing support for the transatlantic American tourist trade. So nice big grassy grave with maybe lavender and mini roses and narcissi and snowdrops and daffidols keeping me sweet all seasons long and giving the birds and passersby something to enjoy and smile at.

I would have said years ago a nice cliffside view but I’d be afraid with coastal erosion I’d be tumbled into the sea! So maybe I’d settle
    for somewhere peaceful but busy where I coipd be weeded and read from time to time and
    people say a few prayers for me. Somewhere beautiful aNd watery Irish like Glendalough.

Glasnevin old parts has some incredible statues - one like that - a weeping lifesize angel clinging to my headstone. Nothing too epic. Not Daniel 0’Connell epic.

(I’m very sorry to hear about the tragic death of your little sister Spanish Eyes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

iamstop wrote: »
    Neither are very good for the environment. Consider a third option.

https://www.wired.com/story/alkaline-hydrolysis-liquid-biocremation/

You want me to be flushed down a drain like an unwanted goldfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Defo rocketed into the great black vacuum for me. I just hope my SunLife plan covers it.

Game over, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

POLL NEEDED ...

1/Buried...
    2/Cremated.
    3/Composted.
    4/Ashes scattered.
    4/Blown off into space...
    6/Other?

7/Fed to your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

7/Fed to your dog.

Or cannibals. They have to eat, and it could be a nice earner for your loved ones.

Only down side, is your remains would largely literally be human ****.

Your family could put the **** in a box on the mantle I suppose, like in an urn. An urn of dry ****e. It could be worse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As a boy of 5 or 6 back in the sixties, I played are the grave while my father as one of the grave diggers worked to open a very old plot. They came a cross a previous burial - some bone fragments and wood. I was shown scrape marks....

I really hope they were just winding up a young boy..... but now as I get to an age where you need to decide.. I think I’d prefer to fry and suffocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t really get burials and the whole wave of expectations that come with it (yes I know, spoil sport). If it was up to me I’d promote mass graves again which would be particularly useful at times like this. Throw everyone into the pit, cover it and plant some trees, then open the next plot. Ireland might have some forested areas back eventually. And it you plant Christmas trees you could get one years later and tell the kids that grandad is back for Christmas. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

POLL NEEDED ...

6/Other?

Off with the rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’d get buried. I did consider getting cremated.
    However I settled on getting buried.
    There’s a grave their for them to put me in.
    Also I’m not dragging everybody up
    to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'll be cremated. There's a fairly new crematorium that opened up about 20 minutes from me, so no major travel needed for anyone.

My folks' ashes are in the columbarium wall in Glasnevin, overlooking Parnell's impressive grave. Not that it matters to them, but it's a nice spot to visit.

I'm on the other side of the country, so I don't know where my ashes would end up. Up to my family, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not if you're in a coffin (you can get eco-friendly basket ones, though, that will)

Will a coffin not rot away eventually?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Whatever is the cheapest.

The funeral "industry" must be one of the most evil tricks going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gael23 wrote: »
    Will a coffin not rot away eventually?

The point of Eco coffins are that they are more ecologically sound in their manufacture than regular coffins. They take just as long, or possibly longer, to decompose in the ground as regular wood coffins do. Which depends on the soil conditions, but can be a long time.

http://www.greencoffinsireland.com/questions/154-how-long-does-it-take-an-eco-coffin-to-break-down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Whatever is the cheapest.

The funeral "industry" must be one of the most evil tricks going.

have you seen the horrible stuff they use to preserve bodies in the states like Formaldehyde a known carcinogen? $20,000 for a funeral in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jim2007 wrote: »
    As a boy of 5 or 6 back in the sixties, I played are the grave while my father as one of the grave diggers worked to open a very old plot. They came a cross a previous burial - some bone fragments and wood. I was shown scrape marks....

I really hope they were just winding up a young boy..... but now as I get to an age where you need to decide.. I think I’d prefer to fry and suffocate.

Sadly no. This is why they made a three day gap between death and burial. To make sure.

In my own extended family. a member died. She was washed and laid out. Then as they were praying over her, she woke up.

Some forms of eg narcolepsy are hard to detect . And yes, some came round om coffins and scratched in desperation.

Someone I knew from the US came round in the morgue with a label tied to her big toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sadly no. This is why they made a three day gap between death and burial. To make sure.

In my own extended family. a member died. She was washed and laid out. Then as they were praying over her, she woke up.

Some forms of eg narcolepsy are hard to detect . And yes, some came round om coffins and scratched in desperation.

Someone I knew from the US came round in the morgue with a label tied to her big toe.

Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Cremation if
    Donating to medical science doesn't work out due to autopsy.

Slideways wrote: »
    Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story eh?

Depends what you mean by " a good story." Regrettably these things have always happened and the thought of waking up in a coffin six feet under is NOT a good story in any way to most of us.

And actually I authenticated your story by saying yes that happens and how it happens. Hopefully less these days but the example I gave was within living memory.

So make sure you are dead before they bury you!

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think my family need to be burdened either with the cost of a burial, nor the ongoing maintenance of a plot and the inevitable guilt when they realise they haven't been there in years. If they want to, they can fire away. Funerals are for the living.

Went to see my grandparents' plot in September. Took us an hour to find it because nobody had been to it in 20 years. Headstone was fine, but many others were not. Just faded, worn down stones beside a patch of grass that would look like any other if you didn't know different.

Bit of a sad, pointless tribute. At least if ashes are eventually scattered, there can be a final, dignified end.

A crumbling burial plot is in many ways an undignified end ultimately. A last desperate gasp to remain relevant and remembered in the face of oblivion.

Love the old graveyards and used to clear one or two when I was there.

And if you read the stones, it is history in stone. Fascinating and keeping memories alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I suppose the other leg had bells on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Depends what you mean by " a good story." Regrettably these things have always happened and the thought of waking up in a coffin six feet under is NOT a good story in any way to most of us.

And actually I authenticated your story by saying yes that happens and how it happens. Hopefully less these days but the example I gave was within living memory.

So make sure you are dead before they bury you!

Just to clarify, I was saying your story was full of schit. A lack of a heartbeat means you’re dead. Standard operating practise before people go to the trouble of transferring a body to a morgue is to check for a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I want my remains scattered at Disney World.

I don't want to be cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Cremation for me, and I've told herself that the song I want playing when they pull the curtain around me for one last time...........Burning Love...seriously..

Well, we have a family plot, and I'd like to be buried there. It's in my will, and I've put aside money to (hopefully) pay the costs. That is, if the sea hasn't reclaimed the plot since shore erosion is a big thing in the area.

I doubt it'll happen though. Since I tend to live in Asia, getting permission to bring a body back (and the expense) is really difficult, so.. yeah. whatever is easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Slideways wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I was saying your story was full of schit. A lack of a heartbeat means you’re dead. Standard operating practise before people go to the trouble of transferring a body to a morgue is to check for a heartbeat
    Ending up in the morgue while still alive, happens in sh1tty countries with really poor health systems, but it's incredibly rare in countries with more modern systems. Rare like winning the euromillions and lotto on the same day.

The amount of checks they do postmortem and the undertakers do before prepping the body means that the stories of times gone by of scratches inside the coffin or bells ringing above the plot, are hundreds of years old and don't happen anymore.

In any case, if you're unlucky enough that all the checks get missed and the undertaker does his work, the embalming process will finish you off. Either way, you're definitely dead when they close that coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Reminds me of an anecdote one of my lecturers in college told us. it was a first year English module on Renaissance poetry, and our lecturer one year was reading a poem on what happens to the body after death; She had corrected a female student for whispering to another while she was speaking, and when asked on what she had whispered, the student had said she was getting cremated when her time came.

Advertisement