Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2016, 10:10   #1516
mirrorwall14

Turns out Haven and EBS underwriting are on the same floor of a building. We should get a decision from both by tomorrow. We had to write a personal statement about how I would pay the mortgage on my own should the worst happen. Took ages yesterday evening. Now we wait again
Advertisement
14-07-2016, 10:49   #1517
Sleepy

Best of luck mirrorwall14!
14-07-2016, 11:15   #1518

Best of luck Mirrorwall, really hope it works out for you.
14-07-2016, 11:16   #1519
mirrorwall14

Thanks guys, helping me stay sane!
14-07-2016, 11:51   #1520
Irish_rat

Also a bit of a no-brainer but make sure to go variable rate any folks that are applying now.

I made the mistake of going fixed for 3 years a rate of 3.7%. Looks like it's down to 3.4% now on variable and the government is pushing the banks to further deceases.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2016, 12:40   #1521
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMarine View Post
Hi all,

My parents have given me my inheritance early towards a deposit on a house.

We have 5k ourselves, and they have given us 25 plus 5 for fee's etc.

We're both long time with AIB, and have opened a mortgage application.

We haven't received the funds from my parents yet, however they are happy to provide any proof or letter to the bank. (they are also with AIB).

Does anyone know the best process for them to give us the money, and for us to document it to the bank?

Thanks in advance!
As others have said you will need to get a letter from your parents to confirm its a gift not a loan but aside form that and contrary to the poster I have quoted just below its actually better from a tax perspective to receive the money in the form of a gift rather than an inheritance. You have the same 280k tax free allowance, i.e. you can receive 280k from your parents with out paying any tax however you can also receive 3k each tax free from each of your parents under the yearly small gifts exemption.

Therefore if your parents give you and your wife/partner 25k gift you will only actually reduce your lifetime parent to child threshold by 13k and will still have 267k of threshold left. If it were an inheritance to you would have to take the full 25k from the lifetime threshold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
Unfortunately revenue do not see this as an early inheritance... make sure you pay the tax liability with any gifts as banks are red flagging it to Revenue.
See above you are actually better of gifting than inheriting from a tax perspective. In fact as the amount is so low in relation to the threshold (25k vs 280k) revenue don't even need to be informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainep13 View Post
Yes that is correct, it is a life time limit for gifts and inheritance less the yearly small gift allowance 3k
As I mentioned above its actually much better than 3k in this scenario. its two people gifting money to two people this means they can receive 12k tax free under the small gift exemption.

Last edited by nox001; 14-07-2016 at 14:49.
(2) thanks from:
14-07-2016, 13:10   #1522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_rat View Post
Also a bit of a no-brainer but make sure to go variable rate any folks that are applying now.

I made the mistake of going fixed for 3 years a rate of 3.7%. Looks like it's down to 3.4% now on variable and the government is pushing the banks to further deceases.
This would depend on the bank you're with, yes?
Thanks from:
14-07-2016, 17:46   #1523
Santy2015

Cheque should be at our solicitors office tomorrow!! All we need is to get our engineer to sign off on our snag list and then it's key time
14-07-2016, 20:26   #1524
Irish_rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy2015 View Post
Cheque should be at our solicitors office tomorrow!! All we need is to get our engineer to sign off on our snag list and then it's key time
Nice one! So funds were released today? I think it only takes a day if solicitor is with the bank you're getting the mortgage with.

Hopefully I'll get news tomorrow and have the keys.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2016, 20:28   #1525
Irish_rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah View Post
This would depend on the bank you're with, yes?
Yep a mate of mine is on 4.2% for 3 years with BOI which is even worse.
14-07-2016, 20:33   #1526
Santy2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_rat View Post
Nice one! So funds were released today? I think it only takes a day if solicitor is with the bank you're getting the mortgage with.

Hopefully I'll get news tomorrow and have the keys.
Now that's something I'm not sure about but it'll be there by Monday if she isn't with BOI.
Ah yeah hopefully you can celebrate over the weekend.
I'm hoping everything is wrapped by this day week so that I can get really started. Have 2.5 weeks holidays starting Saturday.
Thanks from:
14-07-2016, 20:43   #1527
68 lost souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMarine View Post
Hi all,

My parents have given me my inheritance early towards a deposit on a house.

We have 5k ourselves, and they have given us 25 plus 5 for fee's etc.

We're both long time with AIB, and have opened a mortgage application.

We haven't received the funds from my parents yet, however they are happy to provide any proof or letter to the bank. (they are also with AIB).

Does anyone know the best process for them to give us the money, and for us to document it to the bank?

Thanks in advance!
3k per year can be given as a gift and not effect the life time inheritance tax as far as I am are so if they were to gift you 3k this year and your OH 3k then the same next year that's 12k that doesn't effect your life time engeritance tax which will be effected by a 25k lump sum.

Or I believe that is the case.

We have been given a generic letter to fill out from all banks to show a proof of a gift and not a loan. Hasn't been an issue so far
Thanks from:
14-07-2016, 21:06   #1528
Irish_rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy2015 View Post
Now that's something I'm not sure about but it'll be there by Monday if she isn't with BOI.
Ah yeah hopefully you can celebrate over the weekend.
I'm hoping everything is wrapped by this day week so that I can get really started. Have 2.5 weeks holidays starting Saturday.
Nice one! I've 3 weeks holidays starting next Wednesday. My closing date was today so I did cut it tight enough! My lease is finished this weekend, timed it well
Thanks from:
14-07-2016, 21:34   #1529
Santy2015

[quote="Irish_rat;100358904"]Nice one! I've 3 weeks holidays starting next Wednesday. My closing date was today so I did cut it tight enough! My lease is finished this weekend, timed it well[/quote

That's great. You'll get loads done.
Thanks from:
14-07-2016, 21:39   #1530
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 lost souls View Post
3k per year can be given as a gift and not effect the life time inheritance tax as far as I am are so if they were to gift you 3k this year and your OH 3k then the same next year that's 12k that doesn't effect your life time engeritance tax which will be effected by a 25k lump sum.

Or I believe that is the case.

We have been given a generic letter to fill out from all banks to show a proof of a gift and not a loan. Hasn't been an issue so far
They can gift 12k in one year. Parents joint account to the poster and his wife/gfs joint account and it's 12k tax free in one transaction without touching lifetime parent to child threashold. This can be done every year.

Last edited by nox001; 14-07-2016 at 21:48.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion