Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wait is killing me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I finally got the keys to my place last week after 5 months of the worst stress ever. I'd rather have my nasty old boss back as dictator for life than go through the house buying process again.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

We are waiting as well. Went sale agreed the end of August (26th), signed documents will our lawyer last week, but waiting for the Council's consent as we buy second hand house and the previous owner bought from the Council.
    She said around 3 weeks but the wait is so bad. I just want to be there NOW !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,960 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Since our snagging date got pushed back 2 months we've heard nothing - and in this case no news really is just no news...

Its so frustrating - especially when so little information is given. I find it incredible that having commited to paying such vast sums of money for something, it is so hard to get concrete information on what is happening. Its not that things get delayed thats the problem, its that you simply aren't communicated to about it. I am confident the date the gave us was the planned date when the said it, but 2 weeks later I have no confidence that remains the case.

Still, trying to keep myself chipper thinking about finally getting in, decorating my home the way we want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Huzzah! wrote: »
    We're waiting now to hear if our bank will accept a qualification on title. We've a remedy for it, so hopeful it will be a positive outcome. Would love to know how long the decision will take either way, though.

Best of luck with it. Our solicitor did mention that banks can be very unpredictable, issues that he thinks they'd have no problem with they balk at and issues that he thinks are major are no problem for them. In our case we had a boundary issue that luckily can avoid land registry and the bank would have been last resort. I'd imagine the bank should be fairly timely? Compared to how slow legal and land can move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

At what stage is the house yours and the vendor cannot pull out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Best of luck with it. Our solicitor did mention that banks can be very unpredictable, issues that he thinks they'd have no problem with they balk at and issues that he thinks are major are no problem for them. In our case we had a boundary issue that luckily can avoid land registry and the bank would have been last resort. I'd imagine the bank should be fairly timely? Compared to how slow legal and land can move.

It’s already been a week, but it might just be a bad time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Sale agreed during second week of September. Contracts signed 2 weeks ago. Closing date is 3 weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,960 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Since our snagging date got pushed back 2 months we've heard nothing - and in this case no news really is just no news...

Its so frustrating - especially when so little information is given. I find it incredible that having commited to paying such vast sums of money for something, it is so hard to get concrete information on what is happening. Its not that things get delayed thats the problem, its that you simply aren't communicated to about it. I am confident the date the gave us was the planned date when the said it, but 2 weeks later I have no confidence that remains the case.

Still, trying to keep myself chipper thinking about finally getting in, decorating my home the way we want it.

And pushed back again to January. Infuriating. and I only found out cause someone posted the information on the Facebook group the (prospective) residents set up. No communication from the people we are giving hundreds of thousands to. It is such an infuriating reality. I hate buying a house.

It's very hard to be left in the dark alright. Seems to be very drawn out to get services connected, hopefully your snagging goes well.

Auctioneer and both sides of solicitors are thrilled our issue is going to avoid land registry so hopefully Christmas leave doesn't affect it too much, awaiting new closing date but if they're positive about it then that's good. Sale agreed 21st June LOL it will all pale into insignificance when we're in but contracts delay and then waiting 2 months to hear about progress on the problem is hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Also playing the waiting game, but our (new build) house seems to be very busy. When we first viewed it and paid the booking deposit, it was set up as the builders break room. There was a table and chairs, a kettle, a bag of rubbish and random bits and pieces in the kitchen. The EA told us they would shift out, but they haven't.

Now it turns out that the on site security are using it as their HQ. Lights were on at 9pm last night, I actually knocked on the door to see who was in there. I know it's not ours yet, but it will be...and the kitchen is in, and it kinda weirds me out. Will be playing close attention to the kitchen during the snag, but should I just get over the fact that there's people using it now? I wonder how many sets of keys are doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Fia11 wrote: »
    Also playing the waiting game, but our (new build) house seems to be very busy. When we first viewed it and paid the booking deposit, it was set up as the builders break room. There was a table and chairs, a kettle, a bag of rubbish and random bits and pieces in the kitchen. The EA told us they would shift out, but they haven't.

Now it turns out that the on site security are using it as their HQ. Lights were on at 9pm last night, I actually knocked on the door to see who was in there. I know it's not ours yet, but it will be...and the kitchen is in, and it kinda weirds me out. Will be playing close attention to the kitchen during the snag, but should I just get over the fact that there's people using it now? I wonder how many sets of keys are doing the rounds.

I wouldn’t like that if the kitchen is in. Fair enough when its still a shell but when there is the possibility of wear to the kitchen, I’d be annoyed. Definitely highlight that with your snagger. But not sure what you can do. When we were looking at a new build, the neighbours house was further along. There was no show house so basically everyone who had bought a house was being brought it to have a look at this house or if interested in a house. We were left in there for about 30mins unaccompanied. I was thinking I would hate of this was my house and people trawling through here all the time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fia11 wrote: »

Yes, you just need to get over the fact that it's being used right now. It's not your house and it's not your kitchen yet.

The security guys will just be using it as somewhere to sit out of the elements.

All completely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

We are sale agreed since end September and no sign of contracts or contact from the vendors. Our solicitor has written twice and we rang the EA last week but they were off for the mid-term. Any advice on when we should panic?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

A month in Stockholm from listing to handover is usual apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Piper101 wrote: »
    We are sale agreed since end September and no sign of contracts or contact from the vendors. Our solicitor has written twice and we rang the EA last week but they were off for the mid-term. Any advice on when we should panic?

I don’t think you should panic just yet. I’d just keep following up. Did your solicitor say when they could expect contracts i.e. did sellers solicitor say he has title deeds from bank or just waiting on them.

A month in Stockholm from listing to handover is usual apparently.

You’d be lucky to have a sales note and have contracts issued by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

We are currently purchasing from a seller who is in a chain with someone who is selling a house that may linked to the fair deal scheme (son selling house, owner in nursing home). We cannot complete on our sale until she has completed her purchase so we are dependent on this sale going smoothly. We won't know any further information until our solicitor receives the contracts, hopefully this Friday. I am desperate to have this all completed before Christmas, does anyone know if there is any link to a house sale and fair deal scheme likely to cause major delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I didn't want to start a new thread.
    Basically I've gone sale agreed on a new build. Contracts signed and exchanged and deposit is paid. I've asked the estate agent for more up to date information such as completion date (was given a range of 3 months when I purchased) along with questions on changes to kitchen (which will be at my cost)
    I've basically been told that I'll be contacted for snagging and appeared to be an inconvenience when trying to get information. I've asked for details for the site foreman so I can go down to get measurements etc but this also seems to be an issue.
    Would I be in my right to go to site to look to speak to the site foreman directly? Others in the estate have dealt with him and he is apparently very helpful
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Now 10 weeks sale agreed. No further progress, and zero updates or information from anyone. :(

Now 12 weeks sale agreed and finally an update. There have been complications with the probate process, but they expect to be able to issue contracts next week. I remain hopeful but sceptical.

What is a typical timeline once contracts are issued, if there's no problems with the legal stuff and no holidays etc to cause delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

tomister wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but I didn't want to start a new thread.
    Basically I've gone sale agreed on a new build. Contracts signed and exchanged and deposit is paid. I've asked the estate agent for more up to date information such as completion date (was given a range of 3 months when I purchased) along with questions on changes to kitchen (which will be at my cost)
    I've basically been told that I'll be contacted for snagging and appeared to be an inconvenience when trying to get information. I've asked for details for the site foreman so I can go down to get measurements etc but this also seems to be an issue.
    Would I be in my right to go to site to look to speak to the site foreman directly? Others in the estate have dealt with him and he is apparently very helpful
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

Yes, once contracts exchanged you are best communicating with the developer and the foreman is the easiest/best way to do this.
    As you've noticed the estate agents lose interest once they've secured commission. And if you notice the contract is effectively you employing the developer so they are more than happy to engage with you.
    Going to foreman for the info you want now is the standard route.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Compak wrote: »
    Yes, once contracts exchanged you are best communicating with the developer and the foreman is the easiest/best way to do this.
    As you've noticed the estate agents lose interest once they've secured commission. And if you notice the contract is effectively you employing the developer so they are more than happy to engage with you.
    Going to foreman for the info you want now is the standard route.

Thank you!! I’ll get their details and can at least get some info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We just got a closing date - sale agreed to closing in 5 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ciarajl

elizunia87 wrote: »
    We are waiting as well. Went sale agreed the end of August (26th), signed documents will our lawyer last week, but waiting for the Council's consent as we buy second hand house and the previous owner bought from the Council.
    She said around 3 weeks but the wait is so bad. I just want to be there NOW !:mad:

Interested to know how this went or if there has been movement? We are buying at the moment. FTBs. Offer accepted 15th Aug, before we had AIP. AIP delayed and finally issued on 24th Sept, so although Sale agreed on 15th Aug, I am counting the Sale Agreed date as 24th Sept (6 weeks ago). Our solicitor completed her review of contracts today and emailed saying seller might need Council's consent to sell but that the sellers solicitor will have to confirm this with the Council and if they do need the consent, we will have to submit an application. Have you had to do the same? Its about 2 weeks since your last message.. have you had any update?

2nd question.... closing date will be 7 days after the Grant of Probate issues. Solicitor has asked for confirmation that the probate has been lodged and the lodgement date. EA told me probate was 'done' when we submitted the bid and that the letter of grant of probate takes 2 weeks. Anyone have confirmation of that or any experience yourselves?

Woshy wrote: »
    We just got a closing date - sale agreed to closing in 5 weeks!

I don't think that qualifies for this thread :p That's amazingly quick, best of luck with it all!

I don't think that qualifies for this thread :p That's amazingly quick, best of luck with it all!

Ha! Just wanted to say it can we quick too 😂 I don’t think it counts also as we’re the sellers, not the buyers. Still delighted though!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

We've gone sale agreed 3 times this year, its been a slog!

First one they couldn't find the deed, second one there was issues with septic tank/well and third one we went sale agreed last week, it's a 4 bed semi

Hopefully sale on a town house in more straight forward:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

trigger26 wrote: »
    We've gone sale agreed 3 times this year, its been a slog!

First one they couldn't find the deed, second one there was issues with septic tank/well and third one we went sale agreed last week, it's a 4 bed semi

Hopefully sale on a town house in more straight forward:D

I've been that soldier! Actually purchased the 4th property I was SA on, about 5 years ago. Its very frustrating, but you'll get there in the end.

This time (I've just bought again) and ended up buying the 2nd house we viewed. I think based on my previous experience I was waiting for something to go wrong, but it never did and I was actually slightly in shock when I got the keys in my paws :)

Feel like this is the best thread to ask. As a house seller, rather than purchaser what should we leave in the house for the new buyer? I mean in the way of paperwork etc. I'm trying to remember what we were given when we moved in and I just remember it being a lot of Irish Water paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Feel like this is the best thread to ask. As a house seller, rather than purchaser what should we leave in the house for the new buyer? I mean in the way of paperwork etc. I'm trying to remember what we were given when we moved in and I just remember it being a lot of Irish Water paperwork

MPRN and GPRN numbers.

Thats all we were given!

It would be lovely to be given instructions on how to use various things, but I think people generally figure things out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Keys for everything (really, for everything. does it have a lock on it? leave a key)

Any certificates from any building work that's been done on the place. Last boiler service (might just be a sticker on the boiler).

BER cert

Some menus for good local takeaways!

Forwarding address maybe?

Any info to do with the local bin pickup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Ciarajl wrote: »
    Interested to know how this went or if there has been movement? We are buying at the moment. FTBs. Offer accepted 15th Aug, before we had AIP. AIP delayed and finally issued on 24th Sept, so although Sale agreed on 15th Aug, I am counting the Sale Agreed date as 24th Sept (6 weeks ago). Our solicitor completed her review of contracts today and emailed saying seller might need Council's consent to sell but that the sellers solicitor will have to confirm this with the Council and if they do need the consent, we will have to submit an application. Have you had to do the same? Its about 2 weeks since your last message.. have you had any update?

As the seller bought the house from the Council he will need the consent to sell this property. Our lawyer said that there will no issues unless they house is selling for the investment. Unfortunately, it is been 2 weeks already and she said the Council takes around 10 days to issue the consent. I am hoping to get this next week, since there was a Bank Holiday maybe will be couple of days of delays.
    These things are really taking ages.

Advertisement