Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite season, & why?

• 14-05-2012 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I'd have to go with Season 6.

Everything from the set design of Starbug, to the humour, the vintage model effects & the truly brilliant season finale....truly brilliant. There isn't a single bad episode of the six of them:

1) Psirens
    2) Legion
    3) Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
    4) Emohawk - Polymorph 2
    5) Rimmerworld
    6) Out Of Time

Absolute perfection :cool:

Red-Dwarf-frame-6-Gunmen.jpg

Your favourite season & why? 12 votes

Season 1
    0% 0 votes
    Season 2
    0% 0 votes
    Season 3
    0% 0 votes
    Season 4
    16% 2 votes
    Season 5
    16% 2 votes
    Season 6
    8% 1 vote
    Season 7
    50% 6 votes
    Season 8
    0% 0 votes
    Back To Earth [Season 9]
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

41 views & 3 votes? Come on you smeg heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I enjoyed most of III-VI but couldn't pick a particular season.

Why: Mainly the addition of Kryten and before Kochanski although she became good later on.
    Back to Reality (Duane Dibbley) and Rimmerworld (The song) being two of the episodes I really enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

series 1. it was simple, it had some great jokes, and Holly was at his computer-senile best.

I enjoyed most of III-VI but couldn't pick a particular season.

Why: Mainly the addition of Kryten and before Kochanski although she became good later on.
    Back to Reality (Duane Dibbley) and Rimmerworld (The song) being two of the episodes I really enjoyed.

Agreed, it took Kochanski a while to get going, but by mid/late Season 7 I though she was a great addition. Krytie TV in Season 8 was a great one involving her :p

Rimmerworld song is utterly timeless, & in true Red Dwarf fashion, just came outta nowhere but was instantly hilarious.
    folan wrote: »
    series 1. it was simple, it had some great jokes, and Holly was at his computer-senile best.

Vote away :)

Season 1 had a terrific sense of isolation. The ship felt huge & really empty, & like all fledgling shows, it had an 'energy' about it that seems to go away in more successful later years.

Future Echoes was a standout ep from Season 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

season 4 for me, season 6 in a very very *very* close second place..
    but Justice, White hole, meltdown, DNA, dimension jump.. all classics. camille wasn't quite as good but still a good ep.

--edit

i also wasnt crazy about the s6 finale.
    a lot of the ep was amazing with the future crew and all but at the end when everyone dies except rimmer.. I dunno, serious acting just isn't his strong point always looked terrible to me

• Advertisement

season 4 for me, season 6 in a very very *very* close second place..
    but Justice, White hole, meltdown, DNA, dimension jump.. all classics. camille wasn't quite as good but still a good ep.

Season 4 was fantastic, & I agree re Camille. It's too slow/confined as an ep of Red Dwarf. I also wasn't a huge fan of Meltdown for some reason. But those two eps aside, it's pure gold.
    i also wasnt crazy about the s6 finale.
    a lot of the ep was amazing with the future crew and all but at the end when everyone dies except rimmer.. I dunno, serious acting just isn't his strong point always looked terrible to me

Yeah your right that the ending did seem like a huge change of direction for Red Dward, with a dramatic, suspenseful cliffhanger. It was probably because of that though, the episode was so good to me. It left us on a knife-edge...for bloody years!

I remember one Starbug had cockpit lights on, & one had them off...que hours of teenage detectivework to try see if there was a clue about which one was was which & who was killed :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hehehe

it's a great ep other than that final scene tbh. I guess I just view the last few minutes of s6 as kind of a lead into season 7 which... had its moments I guess but was overall kinda bloody weak so that colours my opinion of the ep

--edit

and yeah i can see why meltdown wouldnt be someones favourite.
    if I could swap rimmerworld with meltdown, season 4 would win by a mile I think :)

<3 those chinese worry balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

EnterNow wrote: »
    41 views & 3 votes? Come on you smeg heads...

That's because it's so smegging hard to choose!

That's because it's so smegging hard to choose!

Lol, true that!

reddwarfwallpaper1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Series V is probably my favorite. It contains, arguably, the two greatest episodes of the show (Quarantine & Back to Reality) and is just really solid from start to finish. They seemed to have gotten their budget upped around this time as well and each actor was firing on all cylinders. Most of this good form was carried over into VI, albeit without Red Dwarf. Because V still had Red Dwarf, it had greater scope IMO. The only thing that was missing, and this is pretty much true of all series from III on, was the lack of ennui that the characters felt which gave the comedy a melancholic edge. It was more of that monster of the week kind of thing, but I didn't mind. RD did it quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd have to go with Season 6.

Everything from the set design of Starbug, to the humour, the vintage model effects & the truly brilliant season finale....truly brilliant. There isn't a single bad episode of the six of them:

1) Psirens
    2) Legion
    3) Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
    4) Emohawk - Polymorph 2
    5) Rimmerworld
    6) Out Of Time

Absolute perfection :cool:

Red-Dwarf-frame-6-Gunmen.jpg

yeah. I agree with that. Season 6 is one of the best seasons. Great chemistry with the cast as well. Setting the entire season on Starbug was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CanadaDave

Love all the seasons of Red Dwarf (except that smegawful set of episodes in coronation street) but season 8, I thought, was brilliant. Krytie TV very funny but there is a scene in one of the episodes where lister and rim we get into a fight but due to some device they can't be hit, later when reporting to the captain the fight catches up with them and they are randomly thrown about was probably my favourite.

Advertisement