Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can't decide which Laptop please HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

They're almost identical, I'd say go for the Acer as it's a bit cheaper. You should also look at a similar cofnig from Dell - their support is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    They're almost identical, I'd say go for the Acer as it's a bit cheaper. You should also look at a similar cofnig from Dell - their support is worth it.

Fantastic help Thanks so much.The small price difference has no bearing tho.
    What about the processor? I'm lead to believe the Acer i7 is better than the one in the Lenovo :confused:

for that budget you'd want to be looking at getting 16gb ram imo - particularly when dealing with video

note that most thin / slim laptops like the ones posted have non-upgradable ram these days so you won't be able to upgrade after purchase

what are your other use cases?

this laptop is more powerful than both of those and has 16gb ram

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HONOR-MagicBook-Multi-screen-Collaboration-Fingerprint/dp/B08HNDT366/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=magic+book+pro&qid=1610458345&sr=8-1

it's 1.7kg so a little bit heavier but it's of very good build quality

amazon has great after sales service - better than pcworld most likely

Reviews

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Honor-MagicBook-Pro-in-review-16-inch-multimedia-laptop-with-a-lot-of-power.501957.0.html

https://www.itpro.co.uk/hardware/laptops/357472/honor-magicbook-pro-review-the-laptop-bargain-of-the-year
    (ex vat price quoted here)

of the two the you linked the Acer has the more modern cpu - 11th gen. that has some advantages

note I assume that you'd be using a quality webcam for livestreaming if doing a lot of it

the ones that come with laptops are poor generally

better off looking at an external one with wide angle, full hd, autofocus, brighter lens

glasso wrote: »
    note I assume that you'd be using a quality webcam for livestreaming if doing a lot of it

the ones that come with laptops are poor generally

better off looking at an external one with wide angle, full hd, autofocus, brighter lens

Hi Glasso
    oh yes well covered on the webcam front 1080p
    its the quality of the stream I'd be worried about
    my old i5 Laptop starts turning my guests into Max Headroom if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Hi Glasso
    oh yes well covered on the webcam front 1080p
    its the quality of the stream I'd be worried about
    my old i5 Laptop starts turning my guests into Max Headroom if you know what I mean?

the magicbook pro is a powerful laptop

will handle that with ease

the magicbook pro is a powerful laptop

will handle that with ease

Ryzen 5 v i7?:confused:

that 6-core 12 thread 4600H cpu is a 45W cpu and it's H class

the intel i7 in your two options is a mobile only 4-core cpu and only 12 to 28 W (short boost at higher end, running at 15W most of the time)

the ryzen kills it.

the 4600H kills the equivalent 6-core intel i7 10750H

you need to know and understand the details....

that 6-core 12 thread 4600H cpu is a 45W cpu and it's H class

the intel i7 in your two options is a mobile only 4-core cpu and only 12 to 28 W (short boost at higher end, running at 15W most of the time)

the ryzen kills it.

the 4600H kills the equivalent 6-core intel i7 10750H

you need to know and understand the details....

Yes indeed Glasso you have been an immense help...I always have problems understanding processors when it comes to 5 and 7 Thanks a lot

• Advertisement

Final question?
    No problems running Google and the associated apps and Chrome I take it?
    Is that just the phones?

that only affected a few android phones (and could be easily rectified in any case) and has/had absolutely nothing to do with windows laptops.

that only affected a few android phones and absolutely nothing at all to do with windows laptops.

Thought as much
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeHappy

I think LENOVO Yoga Slim is better

that only affected a few android phones (and could be easily rectified in any case) and has/had absolutely nothing to do with windows laptops.

Hey Glasso
    invested in the Magicbook pro and after a few days I have to admit it's a great pce of kit
    The only annoyance tho is the fact that Honor split the drives up in to 2 a C and a D
    I did find this on the net but wondered is it safe to do? It looks a fairly simple procedure See below

How to combine C and D drive
    To merge C and D drive for Windows 10 computers, you may either use native Disk Management or third party partitioning software.

Windows 10 Disk Management has no Merge Volume function, but you can achieve with Extend Volume function indirectly.

Option 1: Steps to merge C and D drive in Windows 10 Disk Management:

Press Windows and X on the keyboard, select Disk Management from the list.
    Right click drive D: and select Delete Volume.
    Right click drive C: and select Extend Volume.
    Simply click Next till Finish in the pop-up Extend Volume Wizard window.
    :confused:

I don't know tbh as haven't done that

if those instructions are from someone who has done if for the actual magicbook and it has worked fair enough

huawei have a note doing something similar for

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us00688371/

back up any docs in advance and be prepared to reinstall windows if it goes wrong

Advertisement