Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB Hub - Understanding The Risks

Options
  • 26-12-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a mains powered USB charging hub because there are so many gadgets in the house that are taking up wall plugs for charging (with their own charging cable). These would include apple & Android phones, iPads, ear buds, vapes etc.

My question is this. Is it possible that I could destroy any of the above items by plugging it into a USB charging hub? I don't mean by a failure of the hub, but rather I'm trying to understand if e.g. an item requires a certain level of power, but the hub delivers a different (higher) level of power and destroys it.

If I'm in the wrong forum, please tell me where I should post to.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Most devices have some overvoltage protection and won't charge at a higher rate that they are capable of even if more power is being delivered. My Micro-USB charged headphones for example will accept charge from the cable coming from the PC but won't even light up if plugged in from the wall, as it's too powerful. They protect themselves and shut off.

Possible to destroy them? sure, if they have no self-protection at all. But very unlikely. Mostly going to happen with cheap Chinese crap, not apple stuff, although I suppose be congnisant that Apple will void your warranty if you charge with anything other than an accessory that's labelled "mad for iPhone" etc. How they'd find that out is beyond me though.

You can check reasonably easily how much power each of the USB outlets on the hub will deliver. It's not unusual now for chargers to output 15W on a USB-A socket and much more via USB-C.

Advertisement