Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying options (post Brexit)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've also been looking at the taric site for computer parts and it does indeed look like 0% customs. Ordering computer parts from Amazon UK should not change then.

I placed 2 items in my basket on amazon.com and there was no customs duty due. The charges (Import Fees Deposit) are just VAT at 21%. The UK site already charges this.

BkFtUFf.jpg

I don't think there's sales tax in the US? Well not at a federal level. Think individual states have their own? Do they add different taxes depending on where you live in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

.G. wrote: »
    Overclockers have always charged Irish VAT rates for goods coming to here. So it seems they are indeed registered for Irish VAT. Put anything in your basket and watch the price increase when you tell them its coming here. They are always way more expensive than Amazon anyway so it'll be Amazon for me where possible.

Yeah you're right, Overclockers confirmed this with me which is nice.

Well I'm going to keep my preorder in with them past the new year I guess and see what happens when it goes through customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I assume it doesn't matter what the web page handle is,be it . de or. es or. fr or. ie, the only thing that matters is where the stuff is shipped from.

There's already loads of UK based shops using .ie webstores but the stuff still comes from the UK.

The amazon scam is that they distribute stock across the EU and purport to have different country specific selling companies, charging "delivery cost" from country a to country b. The truth is that they will fulfill an order from whatever location is best to get the stock and ship direct from there. Therefore you can order something from "amazon Germany", get charged German - Ireland shipping rates, but have the order fulfilled from the UK (or more recently Ireland) without the product ever going through Germany, and amazon pocket the difference. The same order put through the UK portal would have qualified for free shipping. Have seen it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wheety wrote: »
    I've also been looking at the taric site for computer parts and it does indeed look like 0% customs. Ordering computer parts from Amazon UK should not change then.

I placed 2 items in my basket on amazon.com and there was no customs duty due. The charges (Import Fees Deposit) are just VAT at 21%. The UK site already charges this.

BkFtUFf.jpg

I don't think there's sales tax in the US? Well not at a federal level. Think individual states have their own? Do they add different taxes depending on where you live in the US?

Yeah there's no federal sales tax it's all just based on your state.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

BkFtUFf.jpg

Yeah but what hidden taxes are in those $279 of "shipping and handling" ? I mean, unless you added a dishwasher there, any logistics site will charge you less than half for sending a package across the pond

• Advertisement

TheRover wrote: »
    Yeah but what hidden taxes are in those $279 of "shipping and handling" ? I mean, unless you added a dishwasher there, any logistics site will charge you less than half for sending a package across the pond

I had added a monitor. Very expensive I agree but a M.2 hard drive was around $10 delivery. Cost was below €150 so I just added something else to bring it over the customs level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The money Ireland guide above listed TV's as having a customs duty due so I would have thought the same would apply to monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anyone order from Scan.co.uk thinking of pouncing on a new processor

The money Ireland guide above listed TV's as having a customs duty due so I would have thought the same would apply to monitors.

Monitors were on the list for no duty. Suppose they can't receive a tv signal as standard.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20201223&Area=&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8528521000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Suckit wrote: »
    I saw that the other day and didn't pay much attention to it. Good to know.

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/index.cfm?id=1522&title=EU-removes-customs-duties-on-IT-equipment

I have ordered parts from the U.S. before and got hit when they arrived (expected it), including Raspberry Pi's.

So I am guessing that I was incorrectly charged? Or did I misread something..

You were charged Irish VAT on the whole value (inc. delivery) plus a processing fee by your courier. If you were charged actual customs duty, possibly rates have changed since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MugsGame wrote: »
    You were charged Irish VAT on the whole value (inc. delivery) plus a processing fee by your courier. If you were charged actual customs duty, possibly rates have changed since then.
    Yeah, thanks, I had known about the VAT charges and shipping etc. But I was charged duty, as it totaled over €350, but I think I was charged duty for the Pi's.. ?

I was charged VAT on each (8 of them @ €25 before VAT) which would have been €46 on them. At the time it was free global delivery when spending over €250 so I added €150 worth of other items which was an extra €34.50 VAT.

I can't remember the total charged, but it was a lot more than €81.

Anyway, I didn't mind at the time as I had expected it, I was just thinking about it when I saw that page.

Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks, I had known about the VAT charges and shipping etc. But I was charged duty, as it totaled over €350, but I think I was charged duty for the Pi's.. ?

I was charged VAT on each (8 of them @ €25 before VAT) which would have been €46 on them. At the time it was free global delivery when spending over €250 so I added €150 worth of other items which was an extra €34.50 VAT.

I can't remember the total charged, but it was a lot more than €81.

Anyway, I didn't mind at the time as I had expected it, I was just thinking about it when I saw that page.

When was this? Looks like there should be no customs owed on computer parts. I'm not 100% sure what the Pi would come under? Maybe printed circuit board?

Edit: Looks like it is still 0% for circuit boards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

When was this? Looks like there should be no customs owed on computer parts. I'm not 100% sure what the Pi would come under? Maybe printed circuit board?

Edit: Looks like it is still 0% for circuit boards
    Ahh, it was a while ago now, before lockdown, I'm not sure, maybe last November.

Good to know going forward, I must have got overcharged, the other items in the order were an SSD €85ish iirc and, and a USB tester which was roughly €15.

I think the total delivered was €350 and change, and the final bill came in over €512 iirc.

I was on to the courier to check if they had charged for shipping etc.

Anyway, it's over a year ago, and I had forgotten until I saw that. I don't want to go off topic. I'm not even sure those prices are 100% accurate. I had just had no line of querying the charge until I saw that. I won't bother, I will just be aware of them more. Thanks though.

I have found buying from Germany using mailbox to be good (lately shipping has been a little longer) in general. 16% VAT introduced during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

Just saw a deal has been agreed that includes free trade between the UK and the EU so we shouldn't have to worry about any tariffs going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

fredotf2 wrote: »
    Just saw a deal has been agreed that includes free trade between the UK and the EU so we shouldn't have to worry about any tariffs going forward.

So Amazon and everything is saved? Ah must find all the details. This could be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

fredotf2 wrote: »

In theory a deal has been done but it has to be ratified by both the eu and uk to become law..there will be a delay in all things related..so dont be surprised if there are tariffs for a few weeks in january

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    In theory a deal has been done but it has to be ratified by both the eu and uk to become law..there will be a delay in all things related..so dont be surprised if there are tariffs for a few weeks in january

My understanding is the deal will apply on a provisional basis from the get go, so hopefully we can all continue to but overpriced electronics like the huge man-children we all are! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

like the huge man-children we all are! :pac:

If there was an institution of huge man-children I would be it's president !

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

jonski wrote: »
    If there was an institution of huge man-children I would be it's president !

6 foot 4 52yr old man child reporting for duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    6 foot 4 52yr old man child reporting for duty!

Only 5'10" ........... But I am 54 and we all know you shrink as you get older :D

• Advertisement

First person to get computer parts after the 1st please let everyone else know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have noticed different computer items I had saved on my amazon account say don't ship to my location ie. Ireland. They didn't say this before .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i imagine there will be a difference between what is fulfilled by amazon and what is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mossym wrote: »
    i imagine there will be a difference between what is fulfilled by amazon and what is not.

I bough an item 2 weeks prior to Christmas which was fulfilled by amazon & delivered to Ireland no problem. The same item today is still fulfilled by amazon but displaying the message "This item does not ship to your location".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dunno how many years I've been a Prime customer - soon to be cancelled.

Dunno how many years I've been a Prime customer - soon to be cancelled.

I'll be in a similar boat I reckon, especially since they're removing prime video for Irish customers as well.

I'll be in a similar boat I reckon, especially since they're removing prime video for Irish customers as well.

Whoa really? When? How?

I have read somewhere that it's possible to ask amazon support to get Prime UK video as long as you have an UK address on your account?

TheRover wrote: »
    Whoa really? When? How?

I have read somewhere that it's possible to ask amazon support to get Prime UK video as long as you have an UK address on your account?

Yeah they sent a mail the other day to some customers, won't be available outside of the UK after Friday, even if you're a UK customer travelling abroad, which sounds like it's going to be geoblocked outside of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ouch, didn't realize that about prime video. That'll be a cancellation from me so too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I got the email. Basically if you have a UK account youll get the non offering if watching outside the UK. I read that as being the same hugely limited offering you get with an Irish address anyway.

Il be keeping it , vpn with a UK server and all should be rosy.

Advertisement