Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

eamonnq wrote: »
    Free within 60 days of activation of the unit I would think.

Yeah, free within 60 days or whatever of the unit first connecting with the satellite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its free for the first 60 days from registration. But you can get it for free all the time.

I bought mine in June Last year and used my free update for the 2009 maps last June.
    I connected tonight for the new update and it told me to pay £59.99.

I deleted the registered device from my profile on mygarmin, done the ifix change, reregistered the same device on mygarmin and it is currently downloading the 2010 maps for free. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Is that not theft ?

Kinda like illegally downloading music or movies ?

Or chipping your games console to allow it to play copied games ???

Tsk Tsk!!

Well I never!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In all fairness the device hasn't worked properly in a long time due to bugs in the firmware etc. So this is my compensation. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

eamonnq wrote: »
    Free within 60 days of activation of the unit I would think.

When you buy the unit, the maps would need to be updated, as it could have been manufactured well before you buy it, so to have latest maps you get the free map update within a certain time of activating the unit.

I bought a UK and Ireland unit. I registered online and had 60 days to update my maps. I did so. It downloaded a 3gigabyte file but it onlu updated UK and Ireland to 2010 on my unit. Later I heard about mapsource? and downloaded it. I discovered that the 3gig file was ALL of Europe maps, but they only updated what was on the unit. I was able to drag all the maps onto an SD card. YAY! some UK and Ireland devices will be able to download all of Europe I guess. COOL! mapsource is your man to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

100gSoma wrote: »
    bought a nuvi 205(w) that arrived today! yay! the map section says it is city NT 2008 maps installed. sound sold. The cable has a little orange label that says "lifetime updates included with this unit" so hopefully I can update it later tonight and get latest maps.

I think you'll find it's the traffic updates that are free for life...not the mapping updates. But I could be wrong!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Its free for the first 60 days from registration. But you can get it for free all the time.

I bought mine in June Last year and used my free update for the 2009 maps last June.
    I connected tonight for the new update and it told me to pay £59.99.

I deleted the registered device from my profile on mygarmin, done the ifix change, reregistered the same device on mygarmin and it is currently downloading the 2010 maps for free. :D

Hmm.

I tried that. It sees that the first fix was May 2009 but also that it was registered last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

iFix?
    mapsource?

googling got me nuthin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

parsi wrote: »
    Hmm.

I tried that. It sees that the first fix was May 2009 but also that it was registered last year...

Same problem as I got when i tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Garmin are not stupid, just coz you delete the serial from your acc doesn't mean they don't keep track of it, unlikely that the method "Used" above worked.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lyonsa3

Can anybody tell me which maps garmin use for their updates, is it navteq or map source?

Whichever it is, does this mean the map viewed online should be the same as the new map version on a garmin nuvi after the latest update?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

How can you tell which maps are included with your sat nav?
    I bought a nuvi 200 last week and registered it yesterday. When I looked for the free update I got the reply "There are no updates available for this device".
    Is it possible it already has the latest maps included or have I done something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭eirman

I can read my map version on my garmin 760 as follows (it should be similar on yours)

Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info

If it says "Europe NT 2010.20" you have the latest maps

eirman wrote: »
    I can read my map version on my garmin 760 as follows (it should be similar on yours)

Thanks for that eirman.
    It says I have City navigator Europe NT 2009.
    (1) Uk & Ireland.
    Wonder why it won't update to the latest maps if they're available?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭eirman

bmaxi wrote: »
    Thanks for that eirman.
    It says I have City navigator Europe NT 2009.
    (1) Uk & Ireland.
    Wonder why it won't update to the latest maps if they're available?

Connect you SATNAV to your PC. Go into your mygarmin account, go to the dashboard and the system should indicate the staus of you software and maps

Connect you SATNAV to your PC. Go into your mygarmin account, go to the dashboard and the system should indicate the staus of you software and maps

Thanks for that Eirman, got my updated maps. Jeez, you wouldn't want to be on dial-up. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭decies

I downloaded the above last night and some points of interests and now my garmin has no sound(have checked the language,mute,reset etc,upgraded software)and the bluetooth has stopped working.Would appreciate help,or its ring garmin time :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

decies wrote: »
    I downloaded the above last night and some points of interests and now my garmin has no sound(have checked the language,mute,reset etc,upgraded software)and the bluetooth has stopped working.Would appreciate help,or its ring garmin time :-/

Sorry, but I haven't heard of this happening before, so can you tell us some extra info? I've heard of problems when trying to load up the wrong type of voices.

Did you download the POIs from myGarmin?
    Did you download the POIs before, or after, the map update?
    What POIs did you download?
    Did you try removing them again?
    Did you download any new voices?
    When did you update the software?
    Can you still access the Garmin files via usb/PC?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭decies

sent to garmin uk today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 redwilly

Is the full M8 between Fermoy and Port Laoise updated yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

From the top of my head no, parts of the road still listed as N8, still driving through fields near Fermoy,
    Part of the Cork to Watergrasshill road which is now 120kmh still listed as 100kmh
    Any other country would have motorway under construction shown as dotted lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oreillyr

Does anybody know the latest version of the irish maps for the garmin nuvi 205 is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

redwilly wrote: »
    Is the full M8 between Fermoy and Port Laoise updated yet?

Motorway from Fermoy to beyond Mitchelstown not mapped, same as per the previous map update, checked today

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

oreillyr wrote: »
    Does anybody know the latest version of the irish maps for the garmin nuvi 205 is

mine's still NT2008.no free updates:)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Anyone know when the next update is due out, I got a new unit for Christmas and I don't want to register it 61 days before the next release if you see what I mean? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Just got a 265W, from Amazon.
    Haven't even setup the garmin account, or used it yet,
    we were just wondering if it comes with an update to bring to latest?
    Or if it has this numap guarantee?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Strasser wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next update is due out, I got a new unit for Christmas and I don't want to register it 61 days before the next release if you see what I mean? Thanks.

It is 60 days from first satellite acquisition so if you have turned it on and it found a satellite even for a few seconds then the clock is ticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Strasser wrote: »

the new map is available to download now , city navigator europe 2010.30
    downloaded it at the weekend, it was about 3.5 gb if i remember..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Let us know whats been updated or whats still missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

bogman wrote: »
    Motorway from Fermoy to beyond Mitchelstown not mapped, same as per the previous map update, checked today

That's been corrected now with the latest version.

Advertisement