Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview signal, freeview Questions

• 26-01-2021 9:54pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

new LG tv with old sky dish & soarview antenna connected.

Saorview ok but no epg on uk listings.
    After reviewing here, changed "location" to the UK, with a few different postcodes (uk epg working) but saorview scan not picking up rte/+1.

reverted back to Ireland location and saorview scan not picking up rte either.
    Had saved channels to usb hardrive and imported and rte/+1 was there but flakey.
    Checking manual settings the signal strenght on UHF ch35 is about 46%.

Is this low signal strenght the reason, the antenna scan (with tv set to UK) is not picking up the full Irish channels ?
    And the reason (with tv set to Ireland) it's missing rte/+1 on & off ?

Will try adjust the aerial this sat - by putting tv in manual tune mode and getting signal higher -- easiest way ??
    Location is navan.

Thanks for any input.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I wonder is aerial set for wrong transmitter and mux can differ

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Can I set this manually by someone at the TV relaying the signal strength ? When you say "set" - pointing to wrong transmitter.
    For navan it's showing kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

new LG tv with old sky dish & soarview antenna connected.

Saorview ok but no epg on uk listings.
    After reviewing here, changed "location" to the UK, with a few different postcodes (uk epg working) but saorview scan not picking up rte/+1.

reverted back to Ireland location and saorview scan not picking up rte either.
    Had saved channels to usb hardrive and imported and rte/+1 was there but flakey.
    Checking manual settings the signal strenght on UHF ch35 is about 46%.

Is this low signal strenght the reason, the antenna scan (with tv set to UK) is not picking up the full Irish channels ?
    And the reason (with tv set to Ireland) it's missing rte/+1 on & off ?

Will try adjust the aerial this sat - by putting tv in manual tune mode and getting signal higher -- easiest way ??
    Location is navan.

Thanks for any input.

K

If you are getting your signal from Kippure, channels 34&35, could you manually select the channel and try adjusting aerial while signal strength is displayed.

That's the plan for Saturday.
    Hopefully a better signal will fix the issue with the TV set to the UK, and the scan thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 45,803 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From my limited knowledge of these things I dont think it makes any difference as to where you set your location in relation to Saorview. You will pick it up regardless of the setting providing of course that the aerial is pointing in the right direction.

To get the best available free to air channels just set the location to UK.

• Advertisement

True Muff,

I just think the signal is weak. Just wasn't sure how it wasn't seeing rte1/+1 when set to UK. But getting tg4 rte2 etc.

Confused as the sat is using freesat is it not and does not use aerial.If setting to UK address channels start with BBC1 i think.

Saorview uses our aerial on roof to pick up our Saorview and might need a tweak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I just think the signal is weak. Just wasn't sure how it wasn't seeing rte1/+1 when set to UK. But getting tg4 rte2 etc.

Is it a new aerial or was it in use on a different TV/box?

If in prior use, was there any problems tuning in on other tuners?

Check polarization of aerial, it needs to match the signal, Kippure is horizontal.

If new, where is it located? If mounted near the dish it might be affecting reception.

True grease.
    Neither should be interfering with each other, even if I thought they were.
    Hopefully just a weak signal.

Old enough aerial - 6 years.
    Dish and aerial beside each other.

Had sky so never used aerial much.
    As a starter - will tweak this weekend.
    Might move it if it doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If set to Uk its possible the RTEs were stuck up in the 800's channel numbers and not immediately obvious

If set to Uk its possible the RTEs were stuck up in the 800's channel numbers and not immediately obvious

:confused::confused::confused: No rte on sat working?

On my Sony i get 2 listings of channels 1 on 28.2 -sat tuner and saorview on other tuner dvb/t2.

Both lists are separate on each tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

greasepalm wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: No rte on sat working?

On my Sony i get 2 listings of channels 1 on 28.2 -sat tuner and saorview on other tuner dvb/t2.

Both lists are separate on each tuner.

is there separate country settings for each tuner? On a Sony I had a while back, once you set the country decided if you got Freesat/view or Saorview/FTA

On my lg, it has
    Broadcast country - set to UK for epg
    LG services country - set to Ireland.

I can see all the 800 numbers alright, just no rte1.
    Rte2 is there, which has me puzzled.

But as above when everything is set to Ireland, rte1 is struggling. Only when I import my saved settings, does it appear.
    Will see at weekend how an aerial adjust works.

Update:
    Home this evening - pizzin rain and signal is at 91%.

Location set to UK, epg working great
    And all saorview channels now on TV and edited.

How ? Fine yesterday and issues. Rain today and fine !!
    Will keep an eye over next few days.

Silly question might you have checked for local issues posted on their website.

Would never have thought of that.
    Good to know.

As above - will keep an eye.
    If the signal drops again, the aerial may be off slightly and just on the edge of strong/weak signal.

Advertisement