Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Thermostat Set Up - Baby Room Temperature spiking?

• 10-12-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Quick question on this. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. So our tottler room is quite small with a radiator.
    The radiator has one of those valves witha gauge which can be 1-5 (5 for high)
    I have the Nest Thermostat in the toddler room as well to try help this.
    What I'm finding is, even when I have the thermostat set to 19.5 at a certain tim of the night, radiator (which I have on 3 for medium heat) turns on and the room quickly jumps to 22/23 degrees or so. The baby monitor actually reads 26celcius at times but pretty sure the baby monitor reads a couple celcius too high.
    I'm just trying to figure out best way to keep the room at good temperature without the radiator coming on too hot?
    Why when the Nest is on 19.5 does the radiator get so hot. I tried having the gauge down to 1.5/2 and still find similar issue.
    Has anyone else had similar issue to this ?
    When you have a Nest thermostat, does it negate need to use the Gauge on Nest Controller?
    Lastly for setting the temperature of the room. If you want the room to always be 19.5 or so. Do you use the schedule for this and just input 19.5 on schedule for every couple of hours?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

iancairns wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Quick question on this. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. So our tottler room is quite small with a radiator.
    What I'm finding is, even when I have the thermostat set to 19.5 at a certain tim of the night, radiator (which I have on 3 for medium heat) turns on and the room quickly jumps to 22/23 degrees or so. The baby monitor actually reads 26celcius at times but pretty sure the baby monitor reads a couple celcius too high.
    I'm just trying to figure out best way to keep the room at good temperature without the radiator coming on too hot?
    Why when the Nest is on 19.5 does the radiator get so hot. I tried having the gauge down to 1.5/2 and still find similar issue.
    When you have a Nest thermostat, does it negate need to use the Gauge on Nest Controller?
    Lastly for setting the temperature of the room. If you want the room to always be 19.5 or so. Do you use the schedule for this and just input 19.5 on schedule for every couple of hours?
    Thanks in advance!

hi,

nest will turn on and off your boiler until the requested temperature on the nest thermostat is reached. So if you set the nest to 23 degrees then the heat will stay on till that is reached, then it should cut out. Bear in mind your nest placement.. is it the other side of the room or close to the radiator? We have ours on the landing which generally seems to be a few degrees higher than the rooms.. we run it to hit 23 and when it does the rooms are generally warm.. setting of about 3 is recommended for a trv in the room.. that should get you above 20 degrees. If you want he rad hot when the heat is on regardless of room temp set it to 5..

we use a schedule with nest as we are out of the house a fair bit during the day.. i may be more economical to let its do its thing - not sure..

we had our attic insulated during the summer and seem to be using far less heat as a result.. upstairs holds the heat much better.

Hope thats of some help

Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Hi guys,
    Thanks in advance!

hi,

nest will turn on and off your boiler until the requested temperature on the nest thermostat is reached. So if you set the nest to 23 degrees then the heat will stay on till that is reached, then it should cut out. Bear in mind your nest placement.. is it the other side of the room or close to the radiator? We have ours on the landing which generally seems to be a few degrees higher than the rooms.. we run it to hit 23 and when it does the rooms are generally warm.. setting of about 3 is recommended for a trv in the room.. that should get you above 20 degrees. If you want he rad hot when the heat is on regardless of room temp set it to 5..

we use a schedule with nest as we are out of the house a fair bit during the day.. i may be more economical to let its do its thing - not sure..

we had our attic insulated during the summer and seem to be using far less heat as a result.. upstairs holds the heat much better.

Hope thats of some help

Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi Mick,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have Nest in baby room but as far away from Radiator as possible. Still only like 7/8 ft. 
    Before we moved in we got the walls insulated internally so 10mm thick all sides. The house heats crazy quick. (Never thought I'd say nearly a problem at times)
    The downstairs thermostat is also in kitchen. And with both of them I rarely turn above 20c as the house gets so hot so quickly.
    I think what i've done last couple nights that has worked ok is keep the rad in his room at about 2.7/3 on trv then I have the nest schedule for
    19.5c at 7pm
    19.5c at 9pm
    19.5c at 11pm
    What happens then is his monitor shoes temp spike about 11pm to 25celcius but then I have rest of night at 19celcius so then when I check in morning time his monitor shows room is still nice at 20/21c at 6am.
    Main issue was at 4/5am it was spiking and was waking him early.
    It's a real balancing act!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

In practice, you should only really have one control in any space otherwise there will be conflicts.

You have a choice: either use the nest solely, or the TRV solely.

If you use the Nest solely, you should open up the TRV to 5, and that way the Nest can control the temperature.

Or if you use the TRV, you shouldn't try to use the Nest in the same bedroom.

I had a similar setup to you a few years ago. I set up TRV in the baby's bedroom (around 2.5 out of 5 was adaquete for our model to maintain around 18C), and I had the Nest in the landing (to try take an average for the house)
    It resulted in very stable temperatures...

Dardania wrote: »
    In practice, you should only really have one control in any space otherwise there will be conflicts.

You have a choice: either use the nest solely, or the TRV solely.

If you use the Nest solely, you should open up the TRV to 5, and that way the Nest can control the temperature.

Or if you use the TRV, you should try to use the Nest in the same bedroom.

I had a similar setup to you a few years ago. I set up TRV in the baby's bedroom (around 2.5 out of 5 was adaquete for our model to maintain around 18C), and I had the Nest in the landing (to try take an average for the house)
    It resulted in very stable temperatures...
    Super thanks for confirming what I was thinking also. To be honest I love bedooms cold for sleeping and the heat coming upstairs from the downstairs is probably enough. 
    So If I open up trv to 5 then in theory the nest won't let the room spike crazy hot then?

Super thanks for confirming what I was thinking also. To be honest I love bedooms cold for sleeping and the heat coming upstairs from the downstairs is probably enough. 
    So If I open up trv to 5 then in theory the nest won't let the room spike crazy hot then?

Exactly the idea

A few other things to mention:
    - do you have ventilation in the baby's room? It will help create a balance between heat in & heat out, and allow the radiator top up the heat as necessary

- the supply temperature of the water to the rad will have an influence on the degree of heat spike. If your boiler puts out 80C water, there will eb a lag until the Nest detects the room temp has increased, but there will still be water at 80C (or dropping off) in the rad, and so will continue heating the room. Whereas if your boiler puts out water at 60C, the possibility for overheating after Nest switches off the boiler is less...

- you can get sleeping bags for children, and they have little charts that associate which tog value you should choose based on the ambient room temperature. It's probably not an issue if you have a toddler, but with a newborn a high room temperature is a contributor to SIDS (basically their liver can't get rid of heat fast enough, so that's shy they should have a cool room and sleep on their back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

in theory the nest won't let the room spike crazy hot then?

You need to leave the nest in the same location with the same TRV settings for a while to allow it to acclimatise. The nest 'learns' what it takes to get a house from X temp to Y temp in Z time.

If you are fiddling with the radiator in the room - or elsewhere in the house - it will throw the nest way off. Also, having the room doorway open or closed will have the room way off. If the next thinks "20 mins on full will get us to 19 degrees" based on door being open and rest of house cold, and then the rest of house is actually warm and the babies door is closed, it will drive the temp too high.

I'd suggest moving the nest elsewhere in the house, and putting in a nest sensor in the babies room.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-temperature-sensor/overview/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Exactly the idea

^ Will this actually work though?

If the temp drops below the nest setting then the pump/boiler will activate.
    With the TRV set to 5 the rad is going to get to maximum heat and will keep giving off that heat even after the nest has turned off the pump/boiler so the room will still get above the nest setting.

I would think you want the TRV set lower so that the changes are less dramatic. This might result in is taking longer for the room to come back up to temp but it shouldn't go beyond the nest temp. (But only the pump will be running as the boiler will shut off based on the return temp)

GreeBo wrote: »

With the TRV set to 5 the rad is going to get to maximum heat and will keep giving off that heat even after the nest has turned off the pump/boiler so the room will still get above the nest setting.

I would think you want the TRV set lower so that the changes are less dramatic. This might result in is taking longer for the room to come back up to temp but it shouldn't go beyond the nest temp. (But only the pump will be running as the boiler will shut off based on the return temp)

You're spot on - that's what I'm discussing in my later response:
    Exactly the idea

A few other things to mention:
    - do you have ventilation in the baby's room? It will help create a balance between heat in & heat out, and allow the radiator top up the heat as necessary

- the supply temperature of the water to the rad will have an influence on the degree of heat spike. If your boiler puts out 80C water, there will eb a lag until the Nest detects the room temp has increased, but there will still be water at 80C (or dropping off) in the rad, and so will continue heating the room. Whereas if your boiler puts out water at 60C, the possibility for overheating after Nest switches off the boiler is less...

- you can get sleeping bags for children, and they have little charts that associate which tog value you should choose based on the ambient room temperature. It's probably not an issue if you have a toddler, but with a newborn a high room temperature is a contributor to SIDS (basically their liver can't get rid of heat fast enough, so that's shy they should have a cool room and sleep on their back)

If you set the TRV lower, what will effectively happen is the Nest will stay on constantly as it will never be satisfied. And then you'll introduce heat from elsewhere in the house causing additional temperature - you're totally out of control then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

3DataModem wrote: »
    in theory the nest won't let the room spike crazy hot then?

You need to leave the nest in the same location with the same TRV settings for a while to allow it to acclimatise. The nest 'learns' what it takes to get a house from X temp to Y temp in Z time.

If you are fiddling with the radiator in the room - or elsewhere in the house - it will throw the nest way off. Also, having the room doorway open or closed will have the room way off. If the next thinks "20 mins on full will get us to 19 degrees" based on door being open and rest of house cold, and then the rest of house is actually warm and the babies door is closed, it will drive the temp too high.

I'd suggest moving the nest elsewhere in the house, and putting in a nest sensor in the babies room.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-temperature-sensor/overview/
    Nest sensor does not work in Ireland or uk

GreeBo wrote: »
    Exactly the idea

This is what I was thinking. And to be honest I really don't care at all for rest of heat of house upstairs as the heat from downstairs is enough and I like our room cold.
    So I think best to keep the nest in the baby room as that's priority.
    Another strange thing happened this morning though. :(
    I have same schedule for each day and each morning the room at 6am in baby room is 20c on monitor but then I head him rolling this morning and I look on monitor and the heat has spiked to 22c.
    Why spike one day and not the rest? All can do now is lower the temperature on the schedule to 19c down from 19.5 for 5am so hopefully a spike won't happen again.
    Endlessly tedious this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If the room is rising too quickly then it sounds like the rad is oversized for the room. You could turn the boiler temperature down to compensate for this. This would be beneficial as you're looking for background heat anyway. As this will change the behavior of the heat-source (the rad), the Nest will have to re-learn this modification though.

Just on a separate matter, just above 16 degrees C is the recommended temperature for a small child, 19.5 is too high in my mind.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Exactly. 16 degrees is far too cold.

Anyways, your issue is part of the reason I ditched the nest. We had huge lag between the nest getting up to temperature and it turning off. Other temperature sensors in the room would be reading 20 degrees while the nest was still at 19. Eventually it would turn off but you'd see over time it would give readings of a degree or 2 over what it was set to. Our newborn would end up sweating in her cot because of this. Interesting thoughts on adjusting the boiler temperature though, that may help. Also, I agree with setting TRVs to 5.

As far as I know, nest will keep running up to 0.3 degrees over the target temperature, and won't kick in until 0.3 degrees below the target temperature, so that also contributes to overheating.

As I say, I've moved away from nest. I got a few cheap but accurate temperature sensors, they're all talking to my home automation software. Then I got a simple sonoff switch to replace the on/off ness of the nest and I'm all set. It doesn't "learn" but it's much more reliable and configurable than nest.

Fyi, nest for sale in my adverts account

Exactly. 16 degrees is far too cold.

Anyways, your issue is part of the reason I ditched the nest. We had huge lag between the nest getting up to temperature and it turning off. Other temperature sensors in the room would be reading 20 degrees while the nest was still at 19. Eventually it would turn off but you'd see over time it would give readings of a degree or 2 over what it was set to. Our newborn would end up sweating in her cot because of this. Interesting thoughts on adjusting the boiler temperature though, that may help. Also, I agree with setting TRVs to 5.

As far as I know, nest will keep running up to 0.3 degrees over the target temperature, and won't kick in until 0.3 degrees below the target temperature, so that also contributes to overheating.

As I say, I've moved away from nest. I got a few cheap but accurate temperature sensors, they're all talking to my home automation software. Then I got a simple sonoff switch to replace the on/off ness of the nest and I'm all set. It doesn't "learn" but it's much more reliable and configurable than nest.

Fyi, nest for sale in my adverts account

“As I say, I've moved away from nest. I got a few cheap but accurate temperature sensors, they're all talking to my home automation software. Then I got a simple sonoff switch to replace the on/off ness of the nest and I'm all set. It doesn't "learn" but it's much more reliable and configurable than nest.”

Would love to know more about this?

Invested €600 getting our boiler upstairs and downstairs ready for Nest. Hate to have to ditch it all for this. It’s manageable but not ideal.

Your way sounds interesting though

Nest just didn't suit our house. We've only 1 zone so we'd wake up with a warm bedroom, but a cold living room. Opening the door and cooling our room in the morning I found the nest a bit slow to catch on to the cooler air coming into the room. I also lost faith in the home/away feature, so I started overwriting that with my home automation. I did use the nest for over a year, but I just felt I could do better myself.

If you're handy with computers (light programming, setting up raspberry pi projects etc) and a bit of soldering then my setup is an option. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend my setup. Also, I never intended to ditch the nest, so my setup isn't exactly something you'll setup in a few hours.

Equipment:
    Raspberry pi, or mini pc to run automation on.(60-250+ euro)
    Esp8266 (~2 euro)
    Bme 280 temperature and humidity sensor (1 euro)
    Micro usb power supply (~3 euro)
    Sonoff basic (~5 euro)
    Device tracking app for phones in your house (for home/away tracking)

Pros:
    • I can have my heating controlled by the temperature in our room over night, and by the living room during the day.
    • I can use better ways of controlling home/away
    • I can adjust how much over or under the target temperature the thermostat will go before turning on/off.
    • I can create a boost button at no cost.
    • Integrated with Google home

Cons:
    • Its a fake thermostat. I currently have only 1 zone in my house, so during the day my bedroom can overheat unless I turn off the radiator there (nest doesn't solve this either)
    • Its a fake thermostat. I currently have only 1 zone in my house, so during the day my bedroom can overheat unless I turn off the radiator there (nest doesn't solve this either)
    • Its not a learning thermostat (nest didn't blow me away with this either)
    • There's no app to easily setup schedules (though I've seen people use a Google calendar with repeat events as their schedule, which can be adjusted as you wish).

Checklist:
    1. Home assistant running
    2. MQTT broker running
    3. Temperature sensor writing to MQTT
    4. Sonoff Basic communicating with MQTT
    5. Home Assistant reading temperature value and being able to set sonoff on/off
    6. Automation to control it all

Getting started:
    Firstly, get Home assistant running (https://www.home-assistant.io/). Hass IO I believe is the easiest setup. Raspberry Pis are great, cheap ways to educate yourself on Home Assistant, but IMO they're not reliable enough, and for something like your heating, you don't want to have to power cycle your Pi a couple of times a week. There's lots of good youtubers with great videos on setting up HA. (Drzzz, Bruh Automation, The hook up).
    While you're at it, setup an mqtt broker on your mini PC. We'll use this to send temperature values from the thermostats to, and our automation can then read those values from it.

Now get your ESP8266 and flash it with your favourite firemware (Tasmota is widely used, and simple, or EspEasy is what i'm using, and I can explain why later). Again, loads of youtube videos on how to flash either of these.

Wire up your Temperature sensor to the ESP8266 (google the wiring), and configure via your tasmota UI or EspEasy the temperature sensor.
    Tasmota: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Wemos-D1-Mini-and-BME280-Temperature,-Humidity-and-Pressure-Sensor
    EspEasy: https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/BME280
    You should be able to get temperature readings on the ESP8266s webpage now.
    If using EspEasy, you could add a 7 seg display to the mix, and output the current temperature.

Now we need to send those values somewhere so our Home Assistant automation can read them. We can't send them directly to HA, so we're going to use the MQTT broker we setup at the start. Configure your tasmota or EspEasy to connect to your MQTT broker, and start sending those temperatures to it.

Again we're going to leverage youtube, and DrZzz has some great videos on reading from MQTT into home assistant.

HA should now be able to tell you the temperature of that sensor, so now it needs a switch to turn on if certain criteria are met (you're at home, it's cold etc). Firstly, we need to flash it with tasmota (youtube again. DrZzz has some videos on setting up a Sonoff with home assistant), and connect it up to your wifi and mqtt broker like you did for the esp8266. You should end up with a switch in Home Assistant which can turn on/off the sonoff (which will eventually be the on/off that your nest uses to toggle the heating).

Depending on your home setup (1 zone, 2 zones, thermostats in each room etc) this can vary. Every setup will need automation to set the thermostats to "away". If you have 1 zone, but want temperature control over multiple rooms (like me) you'll need a fake switch (software only) for each rooms thermostat (think of this like a flag to say whether that room is cold or not), a sonoff switch at the boiler/timer, and some automation to determine which room to base the heating off of.

As I say, this isn't a plug and play option like the nest. For me it's been crafted over the last year, so lots of the leg work was done then. You can certainly try as others have said in the mean time. If you're up for it, you can run HA on a laptop and very cheaply see if this is something you're interested in or not, maybe with an eye on getting things setup for next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Nest just didn't suit our house. We've only 1 zone so we'd wake up with a warm bedroom, but a cold living room. Opening the door and cooling our room in the morning I found the nest a bit slow to catch on to the cooler air coming into the room. I also lost faith in the home/away feature, so I started overwriting that with my home automation. I did use the nest for over a year, but I just felt I could do better myself.

If you're handy with computers (light programming, setting up raspberry pi projects etc) and a bit of soldering then my setup is an option. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend my setup. Also, I never intended to ditch the nest, so my setup isn't exactly something you'll setup in a few hours.

Equipment:
    Raspberry pi, or mini pc to run automation on.(60-250+ euro)
    Esp8266 (~2 euro)
    Bme 280 temperature and humidity sensor (1 euro)
    Micro usb power supply (~3 euro)
    Sonoff basic (~5 euro)
    Device tracking app for phones in your house (for home/away tracking)

Pros:
    • I can have my heating controlled by the temperature in our room over night, and by the living room during the day.
    • I can use better ways of controlling home/away
    • I can adjust how much over or under the target temperature the thermostat will go before turning on/off.
    • I can create a boost button at no cost.
    • Integrated with Google home

Cons:
    • Its not a learning thermostat (nest didn't blow me away with this either)
    • There's no app to easily setup schedules (though I've seen people use a Google calendar with repeat events as their schedule, which can be adjusted as you wish).

Checklist:
    1. Home assistant running
    2. MQTT broker running
    3. Temperature sensor writing to MQTT
    4. Sonoff Basic communicating with MQTT
    5. Home Assistant reading temperature value and being able to set sonoff on/off
    6. Automation to control it all

Getting started:
    Firstly, get Home assistant running (https://www.home-assistant.io/). Hass IO I believe is the easiest setup. Raspberry Pis are great, cheap ways to educate yourself on Home Assistant, but IMO they're not reliable enough, and for something like your heating, you don't want to have to power cycle your Pi a couple of times a week. There's lots of good youtubers with great videos on setting up HA. (Drzzz, Bruh Automation, The hook up).
    While you're at it, setup an mqtt broker on your mini PC. We'll use this to send temperature values from the thermostats to, and our automation can then read those values from it.

Now get your ESP8266 and flash it with your favourite firemware (Tasmota is widely used, and simple, or EspEasy is what i'm using, and I can explain why later). Again, loads of youtube videos on how to flash either of these.

Wire up your Temperature sensor to the ESP8266 (google the wiring), and configure via your tasmota UI or EspEasy the temperature sensor.
    Tasmota: https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Wemos-D1-Mini-and-BME280-Temperature,-Humidity-and-Pressure-Sensor
    EspEasy: https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/BME280
    You should be able to get temperature readings on the ESP8266s webpage now.
    If using EspEasy, you could add a 7 seg display to the mix, and output the current temperature.

Now we need to send those values somewhere so our Home Assistant automation can read them. We can't send them directly to HA, so we're going to use the MQTT broker we setup at the start. Configure your tasmota or EspEasy to connect to your MQTT broker, and start sending those temperatures to it.

Again we're going to leverage youtube, and DrZzz has some great videos on reading from MQTT into home assistant.

HA should now be able to tell you the temperature of that sensor, so now it needs a switch to turn on if certain criteria are met (you're at home, it's cold etc). Firstly, we need to flash it with tasmota (youtube again. DrZzz has some videos on setting up a Sonoff with home assistant), and connect it up to your wifi and mqtt broker like you did for the esp8266. You should end up with a switch in Home Assistant which can turn on/off the sonoff (which will eventually be the on/off that your nest uses to toggle the heating).

Depending on your home setup (1 zone, 2 zones, thermostats in each room etc) this can vary. Every setup will need automation to set the thermostats to "away". If you have 1 zone, but want temperature control over multiple rooms (like me) you'll need a fake switch (software only) for each rooms thermostat (think of this like a flag to say whether that room is cold or not), a sonoff switch at the boiler/timer, and some automation to determine which room to base the heating off of.

As I say, this isn't a plug and play option like the nest. For me it's been crafted over the last year, so lots of the leg work was done then. You can certainly try as others have said in the mean time. If you're up for it, you can run HA on a laptop and very cheaply see if this is something you're interested in or not, maybe with an eye on getting things setup for next winter.

Following up on this just wondering where you picked up the Bme280 for 1 or 2? The prices seem nuts.

Since this post there have been advances in Tado to control the thermostats per room, have you been looking at these at all?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Following up on this just wondering where you picked up the Bme280 for 1 or 2? The prices seem nuts.

Since this post there have been advances in Tado to control the thermostats per room, have you been looking at these at all?

Aliexpress. Prices are around €3 now though.

I've not looked at Tado since. My system works as much as I want it to. I had a valve fitted to the upstairs loop, so I can control the temperature upstairs too*. I've replaced/added a few sensors with some Xiaomi temperature sensors running esphome.
    Screenshot-at-Oct-04-14-25-51.png?fit=620%2C599

* Since i've no valve on downstairs (not possible unless I pull up the floor and go digging) if the heating in controlled by upstairs and needs to be turned on (ie. it's cold upstairs), the rooms downstairs will also heat up.

Advertisement