Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

glasso I need your advice please.

• 08-12-2020 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable with computer tech.
    As oyu know I am looking at looking at some specs of laptops, but as I previously stated on another thread, I am out of the loop with the way tech has moved on, My current RC520 is 9 years old and all I ever did was replace the hard drive with a 256 ssd, and a new OE Battery,which gave it a new lease of life.

Mainly browsing.~ Emails etc.
    I will be doing some photo editing so need something for that.
    You mentioned 2k screens and full hd in another thread?
    Rarely watch videos, but as they say, having too much spec and not needing it is better than not having enough and looking for it.

So,
    Here are a few I have seen and would like some advice / opinions or maybe suggest something else.

Asus expertbook

Lenovo legion

Acer Travelmate

Lenovo V15- IIL

Those would be at the higher end of the budget, but can go higher if needed.
    Thanks

Comments

once you are not going to be carrying your laptop around a lot the lenovo legion there is a good option (as it's not so light)

it has a colour-accurate screen (100 sRGB) which will be good for photo editing.

decent cpu

2k screens are still rare

this is a full hd - 1080p screen and with the colour accuracy and decent brightness (300 nits) on the particular screen that I have checked in the model number 15IMH05 then I'd advise to go for that.

of course it has a graphics card also - will help with some applications and can do some gaming if you wish

the build is plastic but it's solid

price is good for the model - not sure if new or refurbished.

either way decent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

glasso wrote: »
    once you are not going to be carrying your laptop around a lot the lenovo legion there is a good option (as it's not so light)

it has a colour-accurate screen (100 sRGB) which will be good for photo editing.

decent cpu

2k screens are still rare

this is a full hd - 1080p screen and with the colour accuracy and decent brightness (300 nits) on the particular screen that I have checked in the model number 15IMH05 then I'd advise to go for that.

of course it has a graphics card also - will help with some applications and can do some gaming if you wish

the build is plastic but it's solid

price is good for the model - not sure if new or refurbished.

either way decent

Thanks for the heads up,
    Is it the regular ssd or the higher speed one whatever it is called in it?
    Is the ram upgradeable ?
    If there are other models you would suggest then go ahead.
    You have an idea what I am looking for.
    I have asked if it is new or a refurb, hopefully new.
    Just waiting on the refund from the other one now.
    Fingers crossed.

Thanks

vectra wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up,
    If there are other models you would suggest then go ahead.
    You have an idea what I am looking for.
    I have asked if it is new or a refurb, hopefully new.
    Just waiting on the refund from the other one now.
    Fingers crossed.

Thanks

If refurb should state it. So safe to assume new I would say.

It's a good option once you're not focused on high portability but it's probably no heavier than you current laptop

The screen will suit your photo editing

If refurb should state it. So safe to assume new I would say.

It's a good option once you're not focused on high portability but it's probably no heavier than you current laptop

The screen will suit your photo editing

The furthest it would be transported would be from my sitting room to my living room :D.

vectra wrote: »
    The furthest it would be transported would be from my sitting room to my living room :D.

Then maybe go for it as stock on that site can be one offs.

• Advertisement

did you get it at the reduced price?

did you get it at the reduced price?

Sore point :(

Still on to Honor UK to organise the return of this one.
    Their method would be for me to ship it to a UK address so as they could get DHL to collect it and bring it to them,
    it appears to be a very difficult method for them to understand that I can get it direct from me to them via DPD or someone.
    They had to escalate the question to a higher authoroty. :rolleyes:

I am gutted as the Lenovo has shot up in price, at this rate I guess it will be January sales by the time I will get it.
    If I had spotted it before buying the Honor I would have.
    Anyhow, onwards and upwards. :P

Honor has received the item,
    Just waiting on the usual jumping through hoops waiting for the refund.
    Is the Legion still the one of choice or has things moved along any bit?
    Cheers

Legion is a very solid option for you

but the 144Hz screen variant is the one to go for due to colour accuracy for your photo editing.

Well,
    I have been watching the Legion laptop and the price is going up and up to a level I wouldn't justify to be honest.
    What would be your thoughts on something like this?
    Medion Crawler E10 :confused:

• Advertisement

screen doesn't look great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-xueVCN3c

advantage of the legion with the 144Hz screen is that it had good colour accuracy for better photo editing.

but if you can live with not a great screen could be ok

screen doesn't look great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-xueVCN3c

advantage of the legion with the 144Hz screen is that it had good colour accuracy for better photo editing.

but if you can live with not a great screen could be ok

Would prefer to get as good as I possibly can,

The legion has jumped almost €200 since we first discussed this.
    I wonder should I hold tough and see if there would be a drop in price 🀔.

I've no idea on prices.

As Brexit has cut off many of the UK options who are not currently at least dealing with Ireland I would say unlikely to drop in the near term.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

I've no idea on prices.

As Brexit has cut off many of the UK options who are not currently at least dealing with Ireland I would say unlikely to drop in the near term.

i emailed box.co.uk about deliveries to ireland and they said they hope to have something sorted in 2-3 weeks so hopefully they do

I've no idea on prices.

I haven’t made any move on this yet as I was reading some new models on the horizon.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/22227013/lenovo-legion-7-slim-5-pro-gaming-laptops-amd-ryzen-5000-cpu-nvidia-rtx-gpu-ces-2021

Think I will pull the trigger on this today,
    Last thoughts fromy uo Glasso,
    The Lenovo legion
    or this Asus
    https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/asus-core-i5-10300-8gb-512gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-1650ti-15.6-inch-windows-10-ga-fx506li-hn012t/version.asp

Thanks

** EDIT **
    Scrap that, I did a little research and apparently the screen is not the best.

was going to say check the colour accuracy

was going to say check the colour accuracy

One thing came to mind,
    Laptops direct
    Buy it Direct.

Will I have to pay any taxes as these are shipped from the UK as far as I am aware.:confused:

ask them

I would say not as they are using a .ie domain and advertising in euro prices

applying Irish VAT like amazon do

Advertisement