Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Projector €200 bracket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I've never used a projector before so I thought I'd just dabble with one of these Chinese brands from ali. I've narrowed it down to three or so but not sure which on to pull the trigger on. Anyone got any experience with any of these or thoughts or suggestions please:

Alston M5W:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32965475341.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1c7d1f56I43ZPN&s=p&algo_pvid=3ea21882-9802-4ffb-959f-0a261f5246eb&algo_expid=3ea21882-9802-4ffb-959f-0a261f5246eb-0&btsid=d8860ff3-bf9c-4fd6-8344-3d5359a683fd&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_55

Aun AKEYS

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110072065.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.hotSpots_338287687.2

Crenova 2019

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000001968921.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.24.6c0c40d0smQueJ&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.146107.0&scm_id=1007.13338.146107.0&scm-url=1007.13338.146107.0&pvid=9864a6f0-bcac-45a2-91ae-052105876bb6

Also I note that some run with Android. Does this mean that the OS is android or is it that one connects an Android box to the Projector - sorry I really don't get the Android part so if anyone can explain that to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you pick one in the end? Looking for something similar myself. Love the look of the Anker Nebula Capsule but too pricey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

ciaranmul wrote: »
    Did you pick one in the end? Looking for something similar myself. Love the look of the Anker Nebula Capsule but too pricey for me.

I went for the AUN Akeys. I'm expecting delivery today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Did you get hit for Customs?
    Lots of these popping up on Amazon these days so no customs and certainly more support should things go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iba wrote: »
    I went for the AUN Akeys. I'm expecting delivery today.

Be great if you can post up a short review. Going to get a projector myself at some stage so interested to hear if it is any good

slave1 wrote: »
    Did you get hit for Customs?
    Lots of these popping up on Amazon these days so no customs and certainly more support should things go wrong

Yeah, but not in Ireland atm. It's a big enough box, 18inch by 18inch at least, so I doubt it will sneak through. But maybe if your using DHL or ups or someone.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Be great if you can post up a short review. Going to get a projector myself at some stage so interested to hear if it is any good

I'm no expert and I haven't set it up right yet and I'm only using a wall atm but I think the pic looks good. It has android 6 and the basic playstore i.e. not the full one that you get on your phone. Oh the playstore is preinstalled, so is Kodi and Netflix, YouTube. I download iptvsmarters app to it from the store. The WiFi works pretty well but it does have a rj45 port (Ethernet port). It's a well built machine and doesn't look cheap. It came in excellent packaging.
    Not sure if you can sideload, I'll check over the weekend. Would like a later version of Android on it. I wonder if there is a better custom ROM anywhere.
    Hope that helps a bit.

ciaranmul wrote: »

Btw, my brother likes the Anker one and also a Xiaomi one but obviously they are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for the review iba, sounds great for 200 quid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks for the review iba, sounds great for 200 quid

Yeah, I'm actually really really happy with it. The sound and the picture is great.

So I installed Plex on it and connected it to my server and that worked to a point. My Plex files are stored on a NAS drive on the same network as the projector. But the projector is only connected by wifi and my wifi signal is pretty rubbish. There is an Ethernet port, but I haven't got a spare cable that can reach the projector from my switch atm. So what I wanted to watch kept stuttering.

So I stuck what I wanted to watch onto a USB stick and stuck it into the projector but the inbuilt media player didn't recognise the audio codec. So Installed MX Player but that see the USB stick. I then installed VLC on it cause I know VLC always has a stack of up-to-date codecs. VLC Player recognised the stick and it played fine. Picture was great and the sound was great.

So then I got to thinking and paired my Onkyo AVR to the projector via Bluetooth and now I have the sound coming through my Onkyo system.

There are some sideload launches in the Playstore, which is pre-installed, so Ill download one of them and install Chrome on it too. Just not sure which sideload launcher I should choose yet, suggestions welcome?

So Plex works great as does IPTV Smarters, YouTube (also preinstalled) and USB Sticks. It also has Netflix pre-installed but I don't have Netflix. It can also I believe connect to my PS4 but I haven't done that yet. It also has a search for update button so hopefully OTA upgrades will follow. And as I said, it connects wonderfully via bluetooth to my Onkyo.

So overall well happy. But I'm no professional and this is my first projector and just a bit of fun;a new toy to play with for me.

Cheers.

Hi,

I've been living abroad the last couple of years and only recently returned to Ireland. Been setting up this projector via ceiling mount yesterday.

I bought a Duronic 92 screen for it too:

https://duronic.com/collections/projector-screens/products/duronic-projector-screen-eps92-169-hd-electric-projection-screen-for-school-theatre-cinema-home-203cmw-x-114cmh-16-9-widescreen-motorised-switch-control-4k-8k-ultra-hdr-3d-ready-16-9

I updated the o/s on it - AUN now have a forum - but is still Android 6. Netflix didn't work on it and the AUN company sent me an APK. I installed that but I keep getting error code 13 I think. Anyway, I think you better off attaching an android box to it rather than using the inbuilt apps. etc. I attached my Mi Stick to it as that is powered by USB. I might change that to the new Google Stick though. So I can watch Netflix through the Mi Stick and bluetooth the sound to my Onkyo AVR. Unfortunately though there is some sort of sound issue, the sound is not in sync. I don't think teh problem is with the AVR because if I play the inbuilt Youtube app the sound plays fine via bluetooth and the AVR. So I'm thinking it must be an issue with the Mi Stick but I'm not sure. On the plus side, IPTV Smarters works well. My plan is probably to get a 10m HDMI cable. I already have a 10m flat ethernet 7 cable even though the projector has wifi.

Anyway after that bit of a review I'm having difficulty figuring out the distance the projector lens should be from the screen. I've used several online calculators and they tell me different info. Are there any experts out there that can tell me how far should the lens be from a 92 inch diagonal screen. The specs of the projector also say that the projection ratio is: 1:1.35

• Advertisement
Advertisement