Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Sat Nav to get?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get a Sat Nav with preference for TomTom or Garmin with lifetime maps.

Not really sure what is considered good. My budget is €150.

Anyone know any good deals on or can recommend a very good one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Garmin SatNavs with Lifetime Map Updates, start @ €149 (British Isles Only) from this reliable company.
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin
    €169 upwards if you need full European coverage.

You don't really get that many extra features if you pay extra.
    The lower priced priced models are fine, unless you need specific features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

eirman wrote: »
    Garmin SatNavs with Lifetime Map Updates, start @ €149 (British Isles Only) from this reliable company.
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin
    €169 upwards if you need full European coverage.

You don't really get that many extra features if you pay extra.
    The lower priced priced models are fine, unless you need specific features.

Ok thanks, really only need Ireland only maps.

Was looking at a Garmin drivesmart 5LM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I didn’t think there was still a market for sat navs. Is your phone not up to the task, op? Plenty on online and offline gps apps these available these days

Was looking at a Garmin drivesmart 5LM
    I don't know that model.

This ROI + UK model (€149) will do the job nicely
    https://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-drive-50lm-irl

theteal wrote: »
    I didn’t think there was still a market for sat navs. Is your phone not up to the task, op? Plenty on online and offline gps apps these available these days
    A dedicated SatNav Device (when used properly) is far superior and safer when compared to any phone based navigation system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

A dedicated SatNav Device (when used properly) is far superior and safer when compared to any phone based navigation system.
    To be honest I haven’t found that to be the case in my circumstances, I find google maps to just as good if not better in certain circumstances.
    Google especially good when looking for points of interest..I have used off line google maps in a lot of countries without any issue.
    I got a phone holder that fits into my now unused CD player and connect to car by Bluetooth.

I genuinely don’t see how, on either quality or safety

Surely there a risk of acquiring penelty points if you touch your phone when driving!

harr wrote: »
    To be honest I haven’t found that to be the case in my circumstances, I find google maps to just as good if not better in certain circumstances.
    Google especially good when looking for points of interest..I have used off line google maps in a lot of countries without any issue.
    I got a phone holder that fits into my now unused CD player and connect to car by Bluetooth.

Ha ha, I have a very similar solution filling my unused CD slot. I also have a small window sucker type one that travels with me for rental cars.

Surely there a risk of acquiring penelty points if you touch your phone when driving!

The very same as touching a satnav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You don't really need to touch the phone when driving with Google Maps, in my experience. I had an older, but up to date, Garmin with me in the states last year. I ended up using my phone as it had lane assist and was better at navigation. Knowing to be in the left of two lanes on a highway exit is useful for example.

The Garmin was very expensive also so not budget or anything. Also a very useful feature on Android phones is 'OK Google's. Say Ok Google, Navigate home. All voice commands, very safe :)

I'm sure a new Garmin is fine, but I just wanted to point out how incredibly useful Google Maps on a phone is. I'm sure newer Garmin have lane assist although this is likely less of an issue in Ireland than the US. Road closures and stuff were an issue with the Garmin that Google Maps knew about, live traffic too.

Please tell me .....

Do you get the same 3D view on a phone as you get on a SatNav

(2D is no good really)

Please tell me .....

Do you get the same 3D view on a phone as you get on a SatNav

(2D is no good really)

As in first-person view as opposed to top-down? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I'm looking for a recommendation for a sat nav for uk and ireland only.Don't like using the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi folks rather than create a new thread I would really appreciate recommendations for reliable sat navs specifically for Ireland. I have been using my iphone SE with google maps which works great but I would prefer a much bigger screen and willing to purchase an expensive one if it's reliable and good quality. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Advertisement