Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apu no longer voiced Simpsons

• 18-01-2020 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The Simpsons actor Hank Azaria has said he will no longer be voicing the character of Apu, following years of controversy and accusations of racism.

Azaria lends his voice to numerous characters in the long-running show, including Moe Szyslak, Chief Wiggum and Comic Book Guy.

However it appears his time as Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon is over.

He told Slashfilm: "All we know there is I won't be doing the voice anymore, unless there's some way to transition it or something.

"We all made the decision together... We all agreed on it. We all feel like it's the right thing and good about it."

Apu is an Indian immigrant who owns and manages a convenience store.

Known for his catchphrase "thank you, come again," he first appeared in The Simpsons's first season in the episode The Telltale Head.

The character has been dogged for years by allegations of racism. Azaria is white.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-18/actor-to-stop-voicing-simpsons-character-apu/

In the past few months writers and voice actors were on the receiving end of abuse by generation Z on Twitter. Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Now let us all go do what this generation has given the world, go eat tide pods and tax everyone to oblivion for owning a car with an internal combustion engine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

OK boomer

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

8-10 wrote: »
    OK boomer

Said the snowflake regurgitating his kale...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I’m glad they stopped making The Simpson’s after 10 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭chosen1

This should be the final nail in the coffin of this once great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

OK boomer

Ok millennial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

chosen1 wrote: »
    This should be the final nail in the coffin of this once great show.

I'm finding it really hard to care about this. Yeah it's daft that people got offended about the skin colour of the person doing the voice of a character.

It's really hard to see how this is the final nail in the coffin though. The Simpsons writing has been going down hill for bloody decades now, but people still watch it in their millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

8-10 wrote:
    OK boomer

galwayllm wrote:
    Said the snowflake regurgitating his kale...

Ok millennial

Start the thread off from the bottom in terms of quality, and it can only go up, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

The Simpons was one of the best series off all time but sadly it's been rubbish for about 20 years.

As for 'generation offended', they've been rubbish since birth.

Now I don't have a problem with people being 'offended', but I do have a problem with networks appeasing these snowflake facists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No more Mrs Krabappel, no Troy Maclure (for a long time now admittedly), now no Apu.

Martin Prince and Sherri and Terri getting a new voice.

None of the rest of the voice cast cares enough to forego their payday, and see it's so far gone from what it used to be. I can't blame them for taking the money, but they're sh*tting on their own legacy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

**** the Simpsons ....I have no time for them since i became mother to baby yoda.

baby-yoda-lucasfilm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The Simpons was one of the best series off all time but sadly it's been rubbish for about 20 years.

As for 'generation offended', they've been rubbish since birth.

Now I don't have a problem with people being 'offended', but I do have a problem with networks appeasing these snowflake facists.

'Gen offended', as you call them, are at once both 'rubbish' and influential enough to get things done.

Maybe you just don't like thy young people for whatever reasons, but the trope of the immigrant is outdated. The show is moving with the times to appeal to its audience.

Just out of Interest I have a question for the people who are cross about this news: when's the last time you watched a new episode of the Simpsons straight through?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just kill it off already.
    Put the show out of its misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Haven't watched it in years. Used to be brilliant but it became a parody of itself.

The Apu controversy has been going on for years though, so maybe not specific to a particular generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Could the same not be said about the stereotyping of characters in the big bang theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭smilerf

This is mental
    Soon a white taxi driver won't be allowed drive a black cab in London,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Meh, online outrage. Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OK boomer

Thank you come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ExoPolitic

OK boomer

As a millennial, I feel embarrassed to be a part of this generation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If I was Indian it might bother me that one of the only representations on=f myself in American pop culture over the last 30 years was a stereotype-ridden character voiced by a white dude. But I'm not, so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thankfully Family Guy still provides us with our weekly dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mrcheez wrote: »
    Thankfully Family Guy still provides us with our weekly dose

Family guy is one example of how comedy has moved on. Simpsons was edgy back in it's day. Now it's pretty bland by Comparison to modern Comedy.

Family guy is pretty old hat too at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Your Face wrote: »
    Haven't watched it in years. Used to be brilliant but it became a parody of itself.

The Apu controversy has been going on for years though, so maybe not specific to a particular generation.

Get rid of Apu and a couple of other ethnicity diverse characters all of a sudden you will have the very same members of generation offended whinging that the show is racist because ethnic minorities are under represented.

So you CANNOT win. The Simpsons is a comedy show, it rips the piss out of every single person, type of person, ethnicity going... it’s inclusive even. The reality is the same people moaning about Apu, if he disappears tomorrow will be up in arms that the show is not fairly representative of Indian migrants to the USA..

Apu, a guy who owns his own successful business, is funny, unlucky in love, has dreams and aspirations... yet like EVERY Simpsons character is the butt of a joke occasionally... ITS A COMEDY SHOW !!!!

They’ll just stop The Simpsons from being a comedy, turn it into a soap.... no Homer... risk of offending bald, fat and stupid people... no Lisa... offending girl geeks... no Mrs Glick...slightly eccentric elderly people are up in arms at this unfair representation....ughhhhhhhh man, people.:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    As a millennial, I feel embarrassed to be a part of this generation. Thanks.

It isn't millennials, it's generation Z they love to be referred as. Most millenials grew up during Simpsons mania (who else here had Sky One on MMDS, Simpsons toys and Do The Bartman on tape during the early 1990s?)

Mike Scully will always be the one blamed for the decline in quality and change of direction of the show and characters, he is partially to blame but it was mostly Al Jean as show runner who completely destroyed it. The show should've ended at S10-12 with Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein as the final show runners (they both left the show in season 9 and expected it to end)

Strumms wrote: »
    Get rid of Apu and a couple of other ethnicity diverse characters all of a sudden you will have the very same members of generation offended whinging that the show is racist because ethnic minorities are under represented.

So you CANNOT win. The Simpsons is a comedy show, it rips the piss out of every single person, type of person, ethnicity going... it’s inclusive even. The reality is the same people moaning about Apu, if he disappears tomorrow will be up in arms that the show is not fairly representative of Indian migrants to the USA..

I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This is disheartening

'Gen offended', as you call them, are at once both 'rubbish' and influential enough to get things done.

Maybe you just don't like thy young people for whatever reasons, but the trope of the immigrant is outdated. The show is moving with the times to appeal to its audience.

Just out of Interest I have a question for the people who are cross about this news: when's the last time you watched a new episode of the Simpsons straight through?

Nothing against the young people, I'm 31 myself (don't really know if that's young though ha).

I do have something against the perpetually offended though, they're worthless people but they start to become dangerous when newtorks cede to their demands.

Sure they may not be affecting you just yet, but someday something you enjoy might be taken away because some numpty is 'offended' by it. You'd be very naive to think this couldn't happen!

I watched the Simpsons last night with my nephew, the one where Homer goes to space, class episode.

Do you really agree with getting rid of Apu? Were you actually offended by his appearances on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Apu as a generic Indian corner shop owner is extremely accurate. They do be like that.

The racism crept in when trying to expand Apu's character, giving him 8 kids, lazy punts at India and Hinduism. Some genius moment like him going to India to the first kwik e mart, but overall the writing wasn't particularly sharp..

A course correction for Apu's character would be great, but the Simpsons writers are only capable of writing out characters or making them gay.

The snowflakes are probably more concerned that he's voiced by a white man. It doesn't bother me, nor would it bother me if they recast Apu.

Nothing against the young people, I'm 31 myself (don't really know if that's young though ha).

I do have something against the perpetually offended though, they're worthless people but they start to become dangerous when newtorks cede to their demands.

Sure they may not be affecting you just yet, but someday something you enjoy might be taken away because some numpty is 'offended' by it. You'd be very naive to think this couldn't happen!

It sounds like you're offended by the offendedness... :p

KiKi III wrote: »
    I mean, they could keep the character of Apu, but have him voiced by an actual Indian person...

Or by Hank Azaria, he's been doing it since 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Look at the University lecturer who was on question time during the week...its no wonder the youth of today come out of college thinking everything is racist and offensive. Unfortunately people are hive minded and naturally want to fit in so this type of indoctrination spreads like wildfire.

Advertisement