Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cocaine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tdf7187 wrote: »

We could have it replaced with methamphetamine, it's much cheaper so there is less need for people to waste money.

Then they shouldn't be shocked when there's dealing outside schools and their area slowly turning to shít.

I don't think people are shocked by such changes anymore. It's been gradually going that way for decades... but then, I guess there's a general apathy about the changes because the hard-line stance hasn't worked. The banning of drugs hasn't removed them, and if anything, their presence has increased a hundredfold in the last twenty years. I can remember when Speed or E were considered the worst of the incoming drugs, with heroin being around but generally hidden away in derelict houses. Cocaine was the drug of the hyper rich. That's not the case anymore.

The problem is that people want a polite friendly police force but don't want to give the Gardai the freedom to deal with the criminals in the manner they need to. I remember what Athlone was like in the late 80s/90s with the drugs and violent crime... the Gardai finally descended in force, and had a field day with those involved... Hardly a fair and gentle approach, but it cleared out the worst offenders for two decades after...

People often consider harsher sentencing to be important, but don't want to appear too hard on the criminals while they're inside, or worse yet, fully acknowledge that incarceration on its own doesn't work. So, we get lots of half arsed measures which ultimately do nothing but defer the problems on to the next generation.

So, no... I don't think anyone with an ounce (no pun) of sense is shocked by how their neighborhood or Ireland has declined in the last few decades with regards to drugs or violent crime...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Awful drug overall.
    Good at the time.
    Best avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Our lovely pals in leafy foxrock and the legal eagles of our country are so far removed from the reality of the drug trade they cant equate their ball and biscuit with the murder of that young man. They probably babble about it over their scallops but they dont equate the line in the loo with his drawn & quartering.

They are not so bright really when it comes down to it. They spend too much time with each other and dont live in any type of reality outside their Burberry bubble.

RIP that poor young man who obviously had a bad start in life so he had no chance he fell in with the wrong crowd and his result was gruesome. Ireland is now like the wild west gone are the days of a good old punch up, murder, machetes, guns, & knives when did we turn that corner and who is to blame?

Awful drug overall.
    Good at the time.
    Best avoided.

Tried it twice, and hated it both times. Headaches, nostril irritations, and other less enjoyable "side-effects". Never quite understood the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm no fan of the drug but that's sensationalist trash. Do they actually insinuate that it's linked to human sacrifice? Considering the concentration of cocaine in its natural form is so many orders of magnitude lower than in the concentrated form you see it in today, it's a wonder there's anyone left alive in the country. People like this don't help the public make informed decisions on drug taking, irrespective of what their profession is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

tuxy wrote: »
    We could have it replaced with methamphetamine, it's much cheaper so there is less need for people to waste money.
    The Consultant in Emergency Medicine, who spent most of the last 40 years working in ERs in Ireland and the UK, said he has first-hand experience of the peculiar blood lust fuelled by cocaine.

Godb****e. I wonder how much first-hand experience he has in drug usage that doesn't result in "blood-lust"...? FFS, that's not even what the drug does to most people.

Ecxtacy ftw. A fraction of the price, longer effects and generally calmer results.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Cocaine is a beautiful drug. Even more so in its free base form. But there is a reason it's known as "more" by users. One line is never enough, one pipe certainly is never enough.

When I was active on the pipe I'd easily spend €300 a night on it. You'd sell your own grandmother for one more pipe. I've been on both sides of the decriminalisation debate but currently have to think no, it would not be good.

I'm lucky to have come out the other side relatively unschated from my alcohol, cannabis, coke, crack, heroin, benzo, z drug addictions. Had I been able to get these freely in a chemist that may not have been the case. Trouble with addicts is what they have is never enough. The thrill is in getting more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

mumo3 wrote: »

I'd be more surprised if there wasn't...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Our lovely pals in leafy foxrock and the legal eagles of our country are so far removed from the reality of the drug trade they cant equate their ball and biscuit with the murder of that young man. They probably babble about it over their scallops but they dont equate the line in the loo with his drawn & quartering.

They are not so bright really when it comes down to it. They spend too much time with each other and dont live in any type of reality outside their Burberry bubble.

RIP that poor young man who obviously had a bad start in life so he had no chance he fell in with the wrong crowd and his result was gruesome. Ireland is now like the wild west gone are the days of a good old punch up, murder, machetes, guns, & knives when did we turn that corner and who is to blame?

I think there must be a full loon tonight.

... Teresa Mannion, RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Always seen it as a twats drug, and one which turns twats in even bigger ones, especially if they've Alpha Male or Wise Guy pretensions.

Because I've no interest in them it never crosses my mind when I'm out and about in pubs for instance that many of the punters in these places might be coked or speeded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Godb****e. I wonder how much first-hand experience he has in drug usage that doesn't result in "blood-lust"...? FFS, that's not even what the drug does to most people.

Ecxtacy ftw. A fraction of the price, longer effects and generally calmer results.
    I suppose you're an expert?

It's well known that long term cocaine use increases paranoia and makes people aggressive. Indeed one of the reason the gang wars are getting so bad if because the gangs are indulging on their own supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Most of these individuals involved in "gangland", along with all their facebook pals aligned to their gangs and other factions, will have tens of convictions, most for serious violent crimes, which should have resulted in them being sentenced to at least 20 years in prison.

The justice system in this country is completely unfit for purpose, and none of the political parties have any intention of doing anything different to attempt a real change. The fact that these scumbags who are allowed to control the drug trade, are out flaunting their wealth online, going on holidays with their gucci man bags and their boss tracksuits, laughing at the rest of us and living the celebrity lifestyle, is proof that prohibition does not work.

What with a completely unjust drug policy, which only makes drugs even more dangerous than they may be to begin with, and infuriatingly leniant sentences given constantly for violent and sexual offences in this country, what do we expect to happen?

Lets keep our heads in the sand and blame the dismemberment of a scumbag on the average joe who works 40+ hours a week, pays their taxes to contribute to this **** show of a so called society, and wants to escape their reality for a few hours on a weekend, rather than facing up to the real reasons things are the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

All drugs should be legal. Prohibition is a policy of ignorance. It wont be all sunshine and rainbows but it might just be better than the current system.

Also, I would genuinely expect my taxes to go down significantly. Since the tax on drugs should more than pay for the guards and the hopefully the newly de-populated prisons.

Do people have blood on their hands? Generally I don't think so.
    No one asked the gangs to kill each other. I don't even know why they do it, probably just greed on their part. There is plenty demand for drugs, you would imagine they would split the difference and avoid all the bad publicity.

You could argue the same about diesel or petrol after all the wars over oil. We all still buy it.
    We all know about China's internals but we still buy their stuff.
    You could also argue over religion, sure look at history their constantly killing each other.

Gobb wrote: »
    Physiologically more addicting and effects lower income demographics?

You know it doesn't take a chemist to turn coke into crack.

All it takes is baking soda, water and heat.

Do people have blood on their hands? Generally I don't think so.
    No one asked the gangs to kill each other. I don't even know why they do it, probably just greed on their part. There is plenty demand for drugs, you would imagine they would split the difference and avoid all the bad publicity.

Everyone wants to be at the top making millions. And just think about the kind of people drug dealing attracks.
    Only the most ruthless and feared can get to the top and also a lot of power comes with it too. They are already breaking some very serious laws so violence does not feel like much of a step up from that.

tuxy wrote: »
    You know it doesn't take a chemist to turn coke into crack.

All it takes is baking soda, water and heat.

Yup. The instructions for most drugs are on the internet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's not even a great drug anyway.

But, no I think it's a bit unfair to blame the user, we could say that about many things.

The same with poorly regulated work conditions in Asia, or any number of systemic global problems.

Society, our society, needs to get a grip on the issue and regulate in a sensible way.

But the debate hasn't even started.
    Let's blame the druggies, that's the cause of it all. Smh.

• Advertisement

Yup. The instructions for most drugs are on the internet.

Not really, most drugs are synthetic and can be difficult to synthesise. It can be very difficult to find a method that isn't hugely wasteful of the expensive difficult to source chemicals.
    The top clandestine chemists aren't just going to publish their secrets unless they plan on retiring.

Coke to crack is just turning the same drug into its freebase form.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cocaine is a beautiful drug. Even more so in its free base form. But there is a reason it's known as "more" by users. One line is never enough, one pipe certainly is never enough.

When I was active on the pipe I'd easily spend €300 a night on it. You'd sell your own grandmother for one more pipe. I've been on both sides of the decriminalisation debate but currently have to think no, it would not be good.

I'm lucky to have come out the other side relatively unschated from my alcohol, cannabis, coke, crack, heroin, benzo, z drug addictions. Had I been able to get these freely in a chemist that may not have been the case. Trouble with addicts is what they have is never enough. The thrill is in getting more!

I must have been buying the wrong stuff,but for me, no. Not my thing.

I like the other worldliness of psychs, but beer is my regular thing. At least that money goes to Fianna Fail. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for posting this; I was about to. Certainly fits the recent dismembering murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

chrissb8 wrote: »
    More nonsense. No one questions where the oil came from to keep their electricity going, or what nation suffered a violent supported coup in order to keep the oil coming.

No one thinks of the phone they hold in their hands and the materials that are obtained from places where there are deplorable working conditions. Even worse, where they are made and what the workers go through.

You can apply a magnifying glass of ethics to alot of industries and see that their practices and what they do are horrible. Just drugs are the most easy to go after because drugs.

We facilitate alot of badness in the world by the way we live. We're all just hypocrites.

Well say what you like about Foxconn and their treatment of worker but at least they're not dismembering people left right and center or hanging them off bridges like in Mexico.

I'm betting if that was happening everyone would be calling for Apple to be shut down or Google etc. But because its a drug...sure its doing no harm,,,I snort a few lines at the weekend and I don't go out killing people.
    You don't...but the money you're spending goes back to these gangs who are.
    Drug users like to think they're oh so smart but you're not. You're just a sad human being who needs a chemical to feel better about yourself.

On the other side yes I do think all drugs should be legalised and taxed etc. Nothing good ever comes from banning something.
    Give all the gangs a choice...become legit companies , follow mandated guidelines regarding quality etc and you'll still become filthy rich.
    Disregard and we'll send in the army to kill you all and give your competitors all your customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I must have been buying the wrong stuff,but for me, no. Not my thing.

I like the other worldliness of psychs, but beer is my regular thing. At least that money goes to Fianna Fail. :/

Sober living it is for me now, for the past four years, and so much happier for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Maybe I’m being naive but is Cocaine so readily available to people on a night out or is it based on some people who have connections to dealers are taking it?

The Media are making it out that it’s shoved in your face whenever people go on a night out.

I suppose you're an expert?

Honestly, judging by some of the comments on this thread, yes. But it'd more accurate just to say that I've got a hell of a lot more experenice with the drug and in the envoironments.

How much first-hand knowledge do YOU have?
    It's well known that long term cocaine use increases paranoia and makes people aggressive. Indeed one of the reason the gang wars are getting so bad if because the gangs are indulging on their own supply.

Same can be said about alocohol. And alcohol puts a lot of people in A&E on any given night. Doctors and EMTs will tell you that until the cows come home.

The only difference is that doctors know alcohol can be enjoyed responsibly by the vast majority of users. What they dont know is, again, the same can be said about cocaine.

The last line of your post, by the way, if specualtive bull****.

Maybe I’m being naive but is Cocaine so readily available to people on a night out or is it based on some people who have connections to dealers are taking it?

The Media are making it out that it’s shoved in your face whenever people go on a night out.

It is if you know where to get it. Dealers tend to be secretive and not offer it to just anyone for very obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

If you like doing coke then you just haven’t done enough of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Who do we blame then? Their need for a high is partially at least causing this mess.

It's quite selfish actually.

we blame the law makers for continuing to ignore internationally recognised facts that the "war on drugs" is an abysmal failure with less than 1% of all illegal drugs are confiscated by authorities, it is governments that provide a market to the criminals that are prepared to kill and maim anybody that stands in their way of making billions

Advertisement