Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    EA that evening was Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire, Royksopp & Kraftwerk. Main stage had Doves & Flaming Lips.

Spoiled rotten.

Yep ww ambled back round to Fatboy Slim after Kraftwerk. Belter of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I somehow managed to see nothing on the main stage that weekend AFAIK. I can't even definitely remember if I saw the physical stage itself. :o
    Was in the EA and B&S for most of the weekend from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Wooderson wrote: »

Remember Fatboy Slim had those smiley face sunglasses?

I stopped going in 2009 but 2005 was my favourite year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Wooderson wrote: »

Fantastic day indeed. Though Fatboy Slim was for me not an ideal end.

Followed by an excellent Sunday. Any festival finishing with Mercury Rev & Nick Cave is good by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kepler21

I am looking forward to two gigs coming up this weekend:

Cheltenham Jazz Festival @ Home
    Sat 9th May All Day
    https://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/news/2020/05/announcing-cheltenham-jazz-festival-home/
    Imelda May
    Electric Lady Big Band
    and others

Richard Thompson on the Royal Albert Home series:
    Sunday 10th May at 7.30pm but available after.
    https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/royal-albert-home-richard-thompson/
    Rufus Wainwright did a session for them in April.

• Advertisement

Remember Fatboy Slim had those smiley face sunglasses?

I stopped going in 2009 but 2005 was my favourite year.

Can still remember Cook dropping this creamy ball of mozzerella well.

I somehow managed to see nothing on the main stage that weekend AFAIK. I can't even definitely remember if I saw the physical stage itself. :o
    Was in the EA and B&S for most of the weekend from what I remember.

Thanks for this - super memories. Such a great year. Where is the time going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ploughing Championship in middle of Seotember cancelled. Say its looking inevitable that EP will be cancelled.

Kepler21 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to two gigs coming up this weekend:

Cheltenham Jazz Festival @ Home
    Sat 9th May All Day
    https://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/news/2020/05/announcing-cheltenham-jazz-festival-home/
    Imelda May
    Electric Lady Big Band
    and others

Richard Thompson on the Royal Albert Home series:
    Sunday 10th May at 7.30pm but available after.
    https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/royal-albert-home-richard-thompson/
    Rufus Wainwright did a session for them in April.

Thanks for the recommendation Kepler. This gigging at home lark wore thin very quickly (bar John Fogerty and family who are great) but Richard Thompson should work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭endainoz

Eod100 wrote: »
    Ploughing Championship in middle of Seotember cancelled. Say its looking inevitable that EP will be cancelled.

We know, you've been telling us for weeks. The ploughing is a massive gathering all the same, much bigger than EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

endainoz wrote: »
    We know, you've been telling us for weeks. The ploughing is a massive gathering all the same, much bigger than EP.

Apologies I didnt realise I shouldn't be discussing the prospect of EP going ahead in an EP forum, my bad. Yes it is, it's also later in September and would bring significant amount to the local economy there and significant event in calendar with political parties, Gov depts having pretense to think it's a relevant indicator to EP's chances, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Thanks for the recommendation Kepler. This gigging at home lark wore thin very quickly (bar John Fogerty and family who are great) but Richard Thompson should work very well.

Richard Thompson has done a few already. Excellent stuff.
    The 2nd time he did it, there were sound issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Wait the ploughing has similar attendance and is around the same time, if its cancelled does this mean the EP will be also??? :p:)

Is there an 2021 thread?

Its gonna be really messy for the people who bought/sold tickets 2and hand, when original buyer gets new tickets or refund for old!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Wait the ploughing has similar attendance and is around the same time, if its cancelled does this mean the EP will be also??? :p:)

Is there an 2021 thread?

Its gonna be really messy for the people who bought/sold tickets 2and hand, when original buyer gets new tickets or refund for old!!

Much bigger than EP - 297,000 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Much bigger than EP - 297,000 last year.

Per day though

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/i-am-heartbroken-to-confirm-death-of-an-irish-music-festival-1.4245662?mode=amp

Nice article, even if it does use the word "revellers" in the first paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They are probably trying to carry over as much of the lineup as possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Maybe they ment the Levellers? Theres only one way to interpret that - new announcement shortly!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Per day though

Not sure, probably a smaller Friday then 110,000 on the Sat & Sun. That's a guess though. Others here likely know much more.

Music more my speciality that tearing up fields.

I know it's entirely unfashionable to like or respect U2. But I do, having grown up with their music, much of which remains amongst the greatest stuff to come from this island. I hate that their publishing royalties go via the Netherlands but I balance that with the enormous taxation they pay here and the charitable stuff they continue to do. And hey, they just donated €10 million in PPE to the HSE last month as well as securing tens of millions more from their contacts in South Korea and China.

Fair enough if you don't like their music or personalities but accept at the very least that they've done an enormous amount for our reputation overseas.

Also nobody but nobody has ever had the musical collaborators that U2 have had. It's thus pretty safe to say that they're held in far higher esteem by their fellow artists than some of the more snide critics would like you to believe.

Happy 60th Bono.

• Advertisement

Not sure, probably a smaller Friday then 110,000 on the Sat & Sun. That's a guess though. Others here likely know much more.

Music more my speciality that tearing up fields.

Indeed, ploughing goes on mid week, usually Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be happy to give anyone a detailed account of my experiences at the ploughing over the years!

Indeed, ploughing goes on mid week, usually Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'll be happy to give anyone a detailed account of my experiences at the ploughing over the years!

Given our utter lack of worthwhile outdoor experiences at present we may take you up on that Eanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I know it's entirely unfashionable to like or respect U2. But I do, having grown up with their music, much of which remains amongst the greatest stuff to come from this island. I hate that their publishing royalties go via the Netherlands but I balance that with the enormous taxation they pay here and the charitable stuff they continue to do. And hey, they just donated €10 million in PPE to the HSE last month as well as securing tens of millions more from their contacts in South Korea and China.

Fair enough if you don't like their music or personalities but accept at the very least that they've done an enormous amount for our reputation overseas.

Also nobody but nobody has ever had the musical collaborators that U2 have had. It's thus pretty safe to say that they're held in far higher esteem by their fellow artists than some of the more snide critics would like you to believe.

Happy 60th Bono.

His '60 at 60' list of songs that saved his life is a bit of a disappointment. Not nearly as interesting as I would have expected.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    His '60 at 60' list of songs that saved his life is a bit of a disappointment. Not nearly as interesting as I would have expected.

He did have picture this on his Irish playlist to be fair...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

He did have picture this on his Irish playlist to be fair...

And he sadly had Fontaines DC on there too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Whenever the integrity of U2 is brought up I always think of Henry Rollins who said something along the lines of "I think It is great that Bono is out saving the rainforest. That means he has less time to be in the studio making **** music." Rollins realy hates U2.

I fairness his 60 songs list is pretty good, if a little predictable and was sure to include all his mates. I immediately went to see which Bunnymen song would be there. Rescue it is. I remeber some jounalist back in 1980 or so asking the edge if his guitar style and sound was influenced by Will Seargent. The edge claimed to have never heard of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Having said that any list that has Song to the Siren on it can't be all bad.

Stillill42 wrote: »

Fully agree. He seems to have felt obliged to include all his pals - Gaga, Kendrick, Chris Martin, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Whenever the integrity of U2 is brought up I always think of Henry Rollins who said something along the lines of "I think It is great that Bono is out saving the rainforest. That means he has less time to be in the studio making **** music." Rollins realy hates U2.

I fairness his 60 songs list is pretty good, if a little predictable and was sure to include all his mates. I immediately went to see which Bunnymen song would be there. Rescue it is. I remeber some jounalist back in 1980 or so asking the edge if his guitar style and sound was influenced by Will Seargent. The edge claimed to have never heard of Echo and the Bunnymen.

Having said that any list that has Song to the Siren on it can't be all bad.

Yeah would've thought I'd discover more reading his list.
    It's just like some list a Spotify algorithm would throw together of most listened to songs by popular artists!

Love Buckley's Song to the Siren, interesting he went with covers such as it and Johnny Cash and Fugees over the originals.

Galway Arts Festival has retained all its announced acts for 2021 and announced new dates. It's probably fair to assume that's the way it's going to go for EP and other festivals with the odd tweak.

https://www.giaf.ie/festival/events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Galway Arts Festival has retained all its announced acts for 2021 and announced new dates. It's probably fair to assume that's the way it's going to go for EP and other festivals with the odd tweak.

https://www.giaf.ie/festival/events

So tempted to get Jon Hopkins tickets

The way I’m feeling now is I want to go to absolutely everything next year...no matter what county it’s in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement