Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just saw this a couple of days ago, after seeing Infinity War on release while in the USA last year, then Captain Marvel a few days before that. If I hadn't seen the latter I'd have been even more confused when she appeared out of nowhere.

I was really impressed by Karen Gillan in this: after the first film, I thought Nebula's story had a lot more to come, and I was right. I expect to see Karen's name popping up during awards season - that's how good I thought she was here.

I haven't seen all the MCU movies, and so there was a lot that went over my head e.g. all that stuff about Captain America being able to wield Mjolnir is a throwback to those movies, I read. But at least it's over.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

bnt wrote: »
    I just saw this a couple of days ago, after seeing Infinity War on release while in the USA last year, then Captain Marvel a few days before that. If I hadn't seen the latter I'd have been even more confused when she appeared out of nowhere.

I was really impressed by Karen Gillan in this: after the first film, I thought Nebula's story had a lot more to come, and I was right. I expect to see Karen's name popping up during awards season - that's how good I thought she was here.

I haven't seen all the MCU movies, and so there was a lot that went over my head e.g. all that stuff about Captain America being able to wield Mjolnir is a throwback to those movies, I read. But at least it's over.

Cap and Mjolnir bit, it's from Age of Ultron.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's chipping away at Avatar just $7m off catching it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah the record will tumble within next two weeks.

Though I do wonder if Disney will re-release Avatar a month or so before Avatar 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement

Digital and Blu Ray rollout releases start in 10 days so more $$$$$$ to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Digital and Blu Ray rollout releases start in 10 days so more $$$ to come.
    They don't count towards box office gross.

They don't count towards box office gross.

I know that.

Avatar made another $400m on Blu Ray and dvd sales.

Endgame will more than likely beat that as well with Digital, DVD & Blu Ray sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why was it so important to beat Avatar and be the most successful film of all time? :pac:
    Like dooes it matter since it still made so much money? Or am I missing something? Do loads more people buy the film only because it'll have "the biggest movie of all time" slapped over the cover? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

No idea where to put this... A conversation with the Russo Brothers from San Diego Comic Con 2019...
    not all about marvel stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Why was it so important to beat Avatar and be the most successful film of all time? :pac:
    Like dooes it matter since it still made so much money? Or am I missing something? Do loads more people buy the film only because it'll have "the biggest movie of all time" slapped over the cover? lol.

I think it's more to do with the time and effort invested into the Infinity Saga by more than the actors or the writers or production teams, it's all of the fans that have waited 10 years and wanted it to succeed and beat a movie that nobody really cared for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes! A bunch of actors in tights has bested a bunch of CGI pixies. :D

Of course 10 years of ticket inflation means it's done no such thing but facts are not important when it comes to PR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I'm surprised it closed that gap after so many weeks after its release.
    I wonder if there was a fan campaign or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yes! A bunch of actors in tights has bested a bunch of CGI pixies. :D

Of course 10 years of ticket inflation means it's done no such thing but facts are not important when it comes to PR

If you count in ticket inflation then Avatar was never top either.

Strange question posed earlier as to why they care about this movie getting to #1. Why does any person care about breaking any record? I don't see it being any different than a sport team's drive to break historical records, not just being satififed with beating the team in front of them on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Foxtrol wrote: »

Strange question posed earlier as to why they care about this movie getting to #1. Why does any person care about breaking any record? I don't see it being any different than a sport team's drive to break historical records, not just being satififed with beating the team in front of them on a given day.

This is Hollywood dude.
    The same movie studios who claim big, huge successful movies never officially turn a profit so they don't have to pay out certain people.
    The same business who movies get their own corporation (eg, there is a company out there solely created for endgame, and money gets paid out from that corporation)

so.. it aint about achievements in the same vein as wanting to win a gold medal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So one Disney owned franchise topples another Disney owned franchise.

Huzzah I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is Hollywood dude.
    The same movie studios who claim big, huge successful movies never officially turn a profit so they don't have to pay out certain people.
    The same business who movies get their own corporation (eg, there is a company out there solely created for endgame, and money gets paid out from that corporation)

so.. it aint about achievements in the same vein as wanting to win a gold medal.

Like there aren't any questionable actions/characters in sport that raise concerns about certain records...

Obviously it isn't the same thing as winning a gold medal, but it is the same human emotion for those involved in the project to break a record here as it is in sport, especially as many said it would be near impossible to do.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I'm surprised it closed that gap after so many weeks after its release.
    I wonder if there was a fan campaign or something.

Avatar was in the cinema for 34 weeks to make its money.

Endgame has only been in the cinema for 13 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Avatar was in the cinema for 34 weeks to make its money.

Endgame has only been in the cinema for 13 weeks.

Oh, wow, didn’t know that. That’s interesting. It feels like Endgame has been out for ages. Jez, 34 weeks, that’s a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Zoe Saldana wins either way as she was in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Foxtrol wrote: »

Oh sure, at least the hard numbers are known for that film, going back they get less reliable esp for "overseas" tallies. GWTW is still the top film in the USA when adjusted and by some distance (twice the amount)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Oh sure, at least the hard numbers are known for that film, going back they get less reliable esp for "overseas" tallies. GWTW is still the top film in the USA when adjusted and by some distance (twice the amount)
    Mainly due to being in the cinema forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The IO9 headline for it :D

Film From Studio Acquired by Walt Disney Finally Beats Film From Studio Acquired by Walt Disney for Box Office Record
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/film-from-studio-acquired-by-walt-disney-finally-beats-1836581329

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

So much cynicism lol.

Does the box office record really matter? Probably not. Won't make a difference to the average person.

But as a huge fan of comics growing up, I think it should be celebrated - for years and years, asides from the 'big' characters like Batman and Superman, a lot of comic based films through the 70s, 80s and 90s were low budget straight to DVD affairs. Spawn. The Shadow. Meteor Man. Nick Fury. Steel. Not really taken seriously. Even Batman as a character suffered with Joel Schumacher's neon-lit campy rubbish in the 90s.

That they've now gone to the other end of the spectrum and made it to the very top of the box office is only a good thing for comic book movie fans. Not only that, but getting mentioned in awards nominations for visual effects, scores, and so on.

Just reading there that Disney’s Acquisition of Marvel and the production costs of the 23 movies cost $8.7bn.

Total box office of those 23 films so far is $22.4bn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Just reading there that Disney’s Acquisition of Marvel and the production costs of the 23 movies cost $8.7bn.

That’s an astounding amount of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

It seemed like a crazy outlay at the time, but obviously a good business decision in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

You can bet your arse that Avatar will get a re-release prior to the new Avatar and may take that record back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Avatar 2 still happening, has it even started shooting?

Advertisement