Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-11-2019, 14:30   #1
Bagpipe
Registered User
 
Bagpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 58
Feeling like AGS are giving me the run around.

Hello,
I threw in 2 applications (Shotgun and moderator for another rifle) nearly a month and a half ago, the FO has been "looking for me" for last 4 weeks but every time I call the station he's either "in the car" or "off on work-break until Monday, then until Wednesday, then until Friday etc.). I'm starting to get a bit annoyed because I don't want to be constantly annoying them but I would expect that they would have the decency to at least contact me after taking my details so many times.



So would you guys have any ideas on what to do next or am i just being a (whatever the word is ) ?
Bagpipe is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2019, 15:26   #2
garv123
Registered User
 
garv123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipe View Post
Hello,
I threw in 2 applications (Shotgun and moderator for another rifle) nearly a month and a half ago, the FO has been "looking for me" for last 4 weeks but every time I call the station he's either "in the car" or "off on work-break until Monday, then until Wednesday, then until Friday etc.). I'm starting to get a bit annoyed because I don't want to be constantly annoying them but I would expect that they would have the decency to at least contact me after taking my details so many times.



So would you guys have any ideas on what to do next or am i just being a (whatever the word is ) ?

Ring the station and ask what days he's on next and what time his shift starts at. Be there just as his shift starts.
garv123 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 15:26   #3
cookimonster
Registered User
 
cookimonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,940
To be honest the time frame isn't too bad.
If you take the individual personality / GS organisation as a whole, out of the equation the system for interfacing with the GS reference fire arms licenceing is very flawed.

One individual with little or no experience or knowledge is given the sole responsibility of maintaining / supporting the district firearms system etc. This job is in addition to thier normal GS duties. So factoring in rosters, court dates, time off etc it is indeed very hard to meet up with each other. Throw in a few major crimes or sprees then it goes to hell in a hand basket.

I had been lucky that the orginal "FO' in the district was a long serving Garda Sgt, his replacement was a Gaurd (I don't belive his work ethic was great) and it turned out that the Superintendent only gave him a few hours over his roster period (not daily) to cover firearms buisness. The latest guy is totally different and on the ball, but is still no where as speedy as the orginal Sgt due to his on going commitments.

If you do meet up with him/her try and get a mobile number off them and it will help narrow the gap.

If it drags on contact the Supers Secretary, usually a Gaurd themselves, and inquire about your application. It may be on the desk waiting for signing, if not then politely mention how long its been etc, etc. You may get the standard response 'if you have a complaint, please forward via e-mail to the Superintendent'. This is up to you..... but when I had issues I played dumb and said something like ' have I done something wrong, is there a problem?...'
In both cases I was contacted pretty quickly by the FO about my paperwork.

Just a tip, have a replacement set of paper work on stand by incase you are asked to resubmit.
cookimonster is offline  
22-11-2019, 15:31   #4
cookimonster
Registered User
 
cookimonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by garv123 View Post
Ring the station and ask what days he's on next and what time his shift starts at. Be there just as his shift starts.
Doesn't always work. They may be rostered in but it doesn't mean they are present that day. Also they, or they used get a briefing prior to commencing the shift, and to be honest they'd be gone out the back door before you'd know it. So you could be standing there wasting time and journey.
cookimonster is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 15:45   #5
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
We have all been there, i certainly have.
oldgit1897 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-11-2019, 17:04   #6
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookimonster View Post
a replacement set of paper work on stand by incase you are asked to resubmit.
Not really !Be asking a lot of questions on how they lost a lot of your confidental information in the station and in doing so violated the data protection act in not securing your most confidential info on medical and firearms information, and whether the data protection officer should be informed about this.

Be prety sure your information will be found right sharpish then and dealt with

This lost the application BS WON'T wash anymore with us.
Grizzly 45 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 17:26   #7
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
Not really !Be asking a lot of questions on how they lost a lot of your confidental information in the station and in doing so violated the data protection act in not securing your most confidential info on medical and firearms information, and whether the data protection officer should be informed about this.

Be prety sure your information will be found right sharpish then and dealt with

This lost the application BS WON'T wash anymore with us.
Don't forget the old trick of requesting a second set of application forms and they compare them to the originals, that just mysteriously reappear.
oldgit1897 is offline  
22-11-2019, 18:04   #8
Bagpipe
Registered User
 
Bagpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 58
I'm not sure how to quote multiple posts but I'll do my best to reply to everyone.


garv123: Each time that I called was when the FO was supposed to be on duty but of course he was either "in the car" or "not working until such and such a day".

cookimonster: I wouldn't mind if I had to wait a few months for the license as long as I knew that it was granted but it's because theres something wrong with the application and the FO is looking for me. That's the only reason im anxious to get in contact with him.

Grizzly 45: Personally I wouldn't go at them about losing the papers somehow I feel as though i would have a metaphorical red x on my door from doing so!

oldgit1897: Surely they're not that cute, does that actually happen?

Thank you all for the replies so I'm not sure what to do next, will i ring today or wait until tomorrow?
Bagpipe is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 18:30   #9
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipe View Post
oldgit1897: Surely they're not that cute, does that actually happen?
Gosh no, priests never abuse kids either
oldgit1897 is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2019, 19:05   #10
Grizzly 45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,046
Up to you,but losing your confidential info by any other data handler is a heavy rap ,with a jailable offence sanction.Why should the AGS be exempt from this and pick on you for losing your info?This isnt the Soviet Union.....Yet.
Grizzly 45 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 19:12   #11
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,562
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit1897 View Post
Don't forget the old trick of requesting a second set of application forms and they compare them to the originals, that just mysteriously reappear.
I know this happens but its about time we started to act more appropriately when it does.

Next time, and i'm directing to everyone not just yourself, demand (via a written letter to the FO) a letter from the FO to say that the previous application was lost. When asked why, you say there is sensitive information protected by GDPR on those forms and any loss of such information is an offence. You want a letter to say it was lost before you'll submit new forms.

Three things will happen.
  1. You'll be given the letter and you have a magic case for a complaint including €250,000 fine for every piece of data lost
  2. You won't be given the letter and phoned, not written to, to avoid leaving a paper trail and in essence bullied into submitting the forms (FCA1) again *** DON'T SUBMIT TO THIS ***
  3. Your original FCA1 will magically reappear.

The reason AGS can say they process all application in time (3 months) is because they control the data and when it's entered into PULSE. Without receipts for when the paperwork is submitted we have no case to argue.

Same applies for "lost" paperwork. Unless we start to create a paper trail that we can use to validate our point about the level of lost applications we are pissing into the wind.

We need to start documenting everything and start to play the game properly.
Cass is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2019, 19:28   #12
Cass
Moderator
 
Cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,562
Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpipe View Post
I'm not sure how to quote multiple posts but I'll do my best to reply to everyone.?
Just FYI, there is an icon beside the quote icon. Its a + symbol with a quotation mark next to it.



When you click it it'll highlight. Then when you have clicked on all the posts you want to reply to (as the one reply) you click either "QUOTE" on the last post you wish to quote or "POST REPLY" on the bottom left of the thread and you'll be brought to a new page with a reply box in it.



All the posts you selected will be present. To shorten the content, or remove some of the content of the various posts you don't wish to quote to simply select the text in each quote and delete it. Leave the bit you wish to reply to.

It'll look something like this:



You will know the start and end of each person's quoted post because it'll have the words QUOTE in brackets, [ ],with the person's name at the start and the word QUOTE in brackets, [ ] , with a forward slash, / , to show the end of the post. As highlighted above. Red is your post, green was Grizz's.
Attached Images
File Type: png Multi quote.png (3.0 KB, 1595 views)
File Type: png finish multi quote.png (10.7 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: png multi quote posts.png (45.9 KB, 1609 views)
Cass is offline  
(3) thanks from:
22-11-2019, 20:10   #13
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I know this happens but its about time we started to act more appropriately when it does.

Next time, and i'm directing to everyone not just yourself, demand (via a written letter to the FO) a letter from the FO to say that the previous application was lost. When asked why, you say there is sensitive information protected by GDPR on those forms and any loss of such information is an offence. You want a letter to say it was lost before you'll submit new forms.

Three things will happen.
  1. You'll be given the letter and you have a magic case for a complaint including €250,000 fine for every piece of data lost
  2. You won't be given the letter and phoned, not written to, to avoid leaving a paper trail and in essence bullied into submitting the forms (FCA1) again *** DON'T SUBMIT TO THIS ***
  3. Your original FCA1 will magically reappear.

The reason AGS can say they process all application in time (3 months) is because they control the data and when it's entered into PULSE. Without receipts for when the paperwork is submitted we have no case to argue.

Same applies for "lost" paperwork. Unless we start to create a paper trail that we can use to validate our point about the level of lost applications we are pissing into the wind.

We need to start documenting everything and start to play the game properly.

Well you know the score Cass, you've been to a gunshop, seen something you really want. Buy it and submit the paperwork. You want the gun yesterday and anything that will delay the application or rock the boat, into the guards starting their work-to-rule-go slow you will avoid. In fact most people will swallow the crap so long as they get their licence.

Also the old "Don't piss off the guards, they'll get you for a baldy tyre or your tax being out of date" attitude still prevails with a lot of people.
oldgit1897 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2019, 20:19   #14
Bagpipe
Registered User
 
Bagpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit1897 View Post
Gosh no, priests never abuse kids either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly 45 View Post
Up to you,but losing your confidential info by any other data handler is a heavy rap ,with a jailable offence sanction.Why should the AGS be exempt from this and pick on you for losing your info?This isnt the Soviet Union.....Yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I know this happens but its about time we started to act more appropriately when it does.

Next time, and i'm directing to everyone not just yourself, demand (via a written letter to the FO) a letter from the FO to say that the previous application was lost. When asked why, you say there is sensitive information protected by GDPR on those forms and any loss of such information is an offence. You want a letter to say it was lost before you'll submit new forms.

Three things will happen.
  1. You'll be given the letter and you have a magic case for a complaint including €250,000 fine for every piece of data lost
  2. You won't be given the letter and phoned, not written to, to avoid leaving a paper trail and in essence bullied into submitting the forms (FCA1) again *** DON'T SUBMIT TO THIS ***
  3. Your original FCA1 will magically reappear.

The reason AGS can say they process all application in time (3 months) is because they control the data and when it's entered into PULSE. Without receipts for when the paperwork is submitted we have no case to argue.

Same applies for "lost" paperwork. Unless we start to create a paper trail that we can use to validate our point about the level of lost applications we are pissing into the wind.

We need to start documenting everything and start to play the game properly.



I think the above is right? Thanks for the help Cass


I'm not sure if they lost the application because I literally haven't been able to talk to the man to see whats wrong. UNLESS its just taking time because of the 'occurrences' in my locality a few weeks ago. I'm guessing from looking at other posts it would be recommended to start getting signatures and records of when my application was taken and who by?



Otherwise I don't know guys I just want my firearm before Christmas
Bagpipe is offline  
22-11-2019, 20:21   #15
Bagpipe
Registered User
 
Bagpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgit1897 View Post
Well you know the score Cass, you've been to a gunshop, seen something you really want. Buy it and submit the paperwork. You want the gun yesterday and anything that will delay the application or rock the boat, into the guards starting their work-to-rule-go slow you will avoid. In fact most people will swallow the crap so long as they get their licence.

Also the old "Don't piss off the guards, they'll get you for a baldy tyre or your tax being out of date" attitude still prevails with a lot of people.



That attitude is definitely still around especially in the small districts where everyone knows everyone
Bagpipe is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet