Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cutting PVC door?

• 18-05-2019 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

the door is 6 foot wide as has a full length side window attached. I want to cut it straight down the internal frame line, separating the door from the window. By cutting down the middle of the frame line, which is approx 6 inches wide, I would be left with a useable window panel plus a useable door, in theory.
    Will This work? Are there any steel reinforcements in these door frames, which might be a problem to cut through? For cutting, I imaging an electric saw would generate too much heat thereby melting the plastic?

Ideas welcome.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No pictures.
    And frankly not really clear what you want to do and why .

Without that can't give you advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do you mean you have one almost square frame, with door and to one side a small approx 2 foot wide section that's either all glass or a blank panel with a window on top.

You want to separate the door from the window and panel.

If so I'd imagine that the post that's left surrounding the door, now say a 4 foot by 6 foot frame might be weak on the side that you removed, but in some cases the sperating post is as good as the side ones and you could use it again. Often that middle post takes the weight of the door anyway.

Depending on the manufacturer these can have steel but many are completely plastic apart from the steel attachments screwed onto them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

thanks stoner, appreciate the reply

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

buky wrote:
    thanks stoner, appreciate the reply

I know it's not an answer, but to be honest some frames are pure pvc and not very strong, you'd have to see. I've cut these out in the past. Some were easy some not

Also 6 M of shallow unistrut steel framing might be easy to slot into the frame if you wanted to strengthen it, not expensive either and you can get prefabricated bens for it. Good luck with it

Advertisement