Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distance spraying from house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware how cavalier that generation is about all things health and safety.

You've your opinion made, you obviously only came here to get someone to agree with you which isn't the case. The poster above you gave out about has more technical knowledge than most others would have combined and you've written off his opinion because you didn't like it.
    As for that generation being cavalier, there children are doing a house swop with them to raise their kids there as house more suitable and have no issues. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mooooo wrote: »
    You've your opinion made, you obviously only came here to get someone to agree with you which isn't the case. The poster above you gave out about has more technical knowledge than most others would have combined and you've written off his opinion because you didn't like it.
    As for that generation being cavalier, there children are doing a house swop with them to raise their kids there as house more suitable and have no issues. Best of luck

Aren't we very selective, he calls me a fcukwit and calls me a bad parent yet your all aggrieved about my taking him to task

Room full of hypocrites who don't give a damn about anything outside their narrow focus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Talk to the man...

By the sounds of if he isn’t doing anything wrong - he is in his right to plant whatever he wants in his field, and to spray it with what he wants as long as it’s licensed and he is following best practices... without talking to him, you don’t know what he is spraying or when or why... so again - talk to the man...

I think you have gotten as much advice as you going to get here.

Edit : I don’t know if you follow all the threads on here, but there is a lad out there somewhere that goes off spraying mad things - sea water and seaweed water... Maybe he’s your neighbour and you’re getting worked up over nothing :):)

Talk to the man...

By the sounds of if he isn’t doing anything wrong - he is in his right to plant whatever he wants in his field, and to spray it with what he wants as long as it’s licensed and he is following best practices... without talking to him, you don’t know what he is spraying or when or why... so again - talk to the man...

Edit : I don’t know if you follow all the threads on here, but there is a lad out there somewhere that goes off spraying mad things - sea water and seaweed water... Maybe he’s your neighbour and you’re getting worked up over nothing :):)

Thanks, appreciate your advice

It's a matter of being neighbourly and you don't take chances with kids, his sheep broke out into his crop earlier in the year on two occasions and I alerted him through a third party, as you said earlier, wind strength means all else goes out the window, doesn't matter if NASA designed the sprayer, at the end of the day, weed killer is a toxic substance

If he reacts like most on this thread, il go to the department of agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Thanks, appreciate your advice

It's a matter of being neighbourly and you don't take chances with kids, his sheep broke out into his crop earlier in the year on two occasions and I alerted him through a third party, as you said earlier, wind strength means all else goes out the window, doesn't matter if NASA designed the sprayer, at the end of the day, weed killer is a toxic substance

If he reacts like most on this thread, il go to the department of agriculture

Lots of things are toxic, it’s all about quantities...

Don’t approach the chat with ‘i’ll go to the dept’, you might not get far... understand what he is doing first...
    Plus - I am not sure what you have to go to the dept with, you don’t know what the man is spraying, or when, or why... the only thing you can say is you don’t like it, and that’s not really a valid complaint...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Aren't we very selective, he calls me a fcukwit and calls me a bad parent yet your all aggrieved about my taking him to task

Room full of hypocrites who don't give a damn about anything outside their narrow focus

My definition of a fookwit is someone who walks through a footpath in afield of tall osr when they know a sprayer is working in it as they were walking down the hill the field over while on a grass margin not following footpaths. Gets them selves dowsed in chem as driver couldnt see them and decides to wait next to the next tramline in a 6/7 ft crop and nearly gets driven over waiting to complain.
    Or the people who let their dogs off the leash(repeatedly told not to and signs) and moan when their Jack russel starts munching the slug pellets.

My definition of a fookwit is someone who walks through a footpath in afield of tall osr when they know a sprayer is working in it as they were walking down the hill the field over while on a grass margin not following footpaths. Gets them selves dowsed in chem as driver couldnt see them and decides to wait next to the next tramline in a 6/7 ft crop and nearly gets driven over waiting to complain.
    Or the people who let their dogs off the leash(repeatedly told not to and signs) and moan when their Jack russel starts munching the slug pellets.

Is english your first language?

Is english your first language?

Sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lots of things are toxic, it’s all about quantities...

Don’t approach the chat with ‘i’ll go to the dept’, you might not get far... understand what he is doing first...
    Plus - I am not sure what you have to go to the dept with, you don’t know what the man is spraying, or when, or why... the only thing you can say is you don’t like it, and that’s not really a valid complaint...

Op what you're not grasping is that the farmer is probably doing nothing wrong
    Each spray has buffer zones from ditches and waterways that need to be observed, that can then be reduced through the use of anti drift nozzles on the sprayer.

Waffle would be dealing with sprays everyday so he is in the best position to answer your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Talk to the man...

It's good to talk.
    To your neighbours that is and to the op maybe give your neighbour your mobile number so that when he/she goes to spray he/she can send a text message/whatsapp warning in advance.
    Your neighbour is legally doing nothing wrong so get the above done for yourself and juniors health if you're concerned.

As for Dinzee. Ya langer.
    I'll have you know I've lovely new flood nozzles fitted that you could now spray in a hurricane. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Mod note. Lads lay off it a bit please.

OP you're guessing here what's being sprayed. Go talk to the man. I'm surrounded by corn here on two sides of the house , we've bees right on the boundaries. The neighbours sprays at dusk when the bees are in. He's under no obligation to do so but he's a reasonable man , as am I. It works both ways. Talk to your neighbour in a reasonable fashion. He might do you a favour.

ganmo wrote: »
    Op what you're not grasping is that the farmer is probably doing nothing wrong
    Each spray has buffer zones from ditches and waterways that need to be observed, that can then be reduced through the use of anti drift nozzles on the sprayer.

Waffle would be dealing with sprays everyday so he is in the best position to answer your questions

As dinzee pointed out, all irrelevant when the wind is strong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

As dinzee pointed out, all irrelevant when the wind is strong

I very much doubt if the farmer is spraying when there is a strong wind blowing, after all, he is trying to get the best coverage on his crop, not the crop in the neighbouring field.

Mod note. Lads lay off it a bit please.

OP you're guessing here what's being sprayed. Go talk to the man. I'm surrounded by corn here on two sides of the house , we've bees right on the boundaries. The neighbours sprays at dusk when the bees are in. He's under no obligation to do so but he's a reasonable man , as am I. It works both ways. Talk to your neighbour in a reasonable fashion. He might do you a favour.

Only took the time to read the title of my property this evening, turns out he is in actual fact trespassing, he rents this particular field but it turns out the last stretch of this ( peculiar) road is private and only one person along with ourselves have a right away, he can still use the field but access is from the other side across fields so no combine getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

These disagreements are always the best ones.

I can't wait to read about it in The Independent.
    Just be aware op how some of them end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Only took the time to read the title of my property this evening, turns out he is in actual fact trespassing, he rents this particular field but it turns out the last stretch of this ( peculiar) road is private and only one person along with ourselves have a right away, he can still use the field but access is from the other side across fields so no combine getting in

What exactly is your beef with the farmer? I can only speak for grassland but the amount of any one product that can be sprayed in a particular piece of ground is limited year on year. I can imagine that the same would apply for tillage. With the current margins in tillage I would also think that less is more in terms of spending on expensive chemicals.
    Can you not make it your business to speak to the farmer directly? That is the only way in my eyes that you can air your worries about sprays etc.
    I message or speak to all my neighbours directly before starting at slurry, I'm sure he will oblige you with something similar if you make contact with him.
    As for stopping the combine, if it was me I wouldnt be making an enemy of anyone without at least airing a grievance beforehand and letting him know that he actually doesn't have a right of way on the driveway to the field.
    After all if he is renting it the owner might not have told him this and he is unaware.
    Talk to the man and sort it out

Keep us informed on how that works out

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    What exactly is your beef with the farmer? I can only speak for grassland but the amount of any one product that can be sprayed in a particular piece of ground is limited year on year. I can imagine that the same would apply for tillage. With the current margins in tillage I would also think that less is more in terms of spending on expensive chemicals.
    Can you not make it your business to speak to the farmer directly? That is the only way in my eyes that you can air your worries about sprays etc.
    I message or speak to all my neighbours directly before starting at slurry, I'm sure he will oblige you with something similar if you make contact with him.
    As for stopping the combine, if it was me I wouldnt be making an enemy of anyone without at least airing a grievance beforehand and letting him know that he actually doesn't have a right of way on the driveway to the field.
    After all if he is renting it the owner might not have told him this and he is unaware.
    Talk to the man and sort it out

I don't mean I was going to stop the combine this year, harvest is only few months away, he has no right of way, he only uses this route for heavy machinery, only his second year growing barley, used to put in and take out cattle from the other side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

It's a worry for any parent to see spraying so close to your home. Just look at the what is happening Monsanto. They are getting sued every other day now.
    If the op children or themselves get sick from the spray they need to do more than informing the department. They need to take legal action against him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Would you not grow a high boundary hedge around your property? I'm sure that would help.

• Advertisement

Keep us informed on how that works out

Yes, I imagine he might engage in a bit of bulldozing

Two can play at that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Lads it's quite clear this poster is just winding ye up.

riemann wrote: »
    Lads it's quite clear this poster is just winding ye up.

It's quite possible they are but other people reading this in the future can at least benefit from the responses

It's a worry for any parent to see spraying so close to your home. Just look at the what is happening Monsanto. They are getting sued every other day now.
    If the op children or themselves get sick from the spray they need to do more than informing the department. They need to take legal action against him too.

Be very supprised if the Monsanto thing sees any payouts in the next decade until the courts of appeals means law firms have sucked all sides dry as proof of guilt is very tenuous in the states in private actions.
    Monsanto gave up on glyphos as it went off label and too cheap for them to make money on, already molecules like glucosinolates ready to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Mad_maxx wrote:
    I don't mean I was going to stop the combine this year, harvest is only few months away, he has no right of way, he only uses this route for heavy machinery, only his second year growing barley, used to put in and take out cattle from the other side

Then why did you say "No combine getting in"?
    Quite possible that cattle were moved the other way as there may be a holding pen for loading etc on the other entrance or it might just be easier to confine them there (entrance at the corner rather than the middle of a field).

Also quite possible that he still doesn't know that he has no right of way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It's a few years since i completed the pesticide spraying course, but from memory i think the buffer zone is 10m, there are exceptions to that with drift reducing nozzles for example.
    Pesticide/fertilizer is very expensive, spraying it in "windy" conditions is of no benefit to anyone most of all the farmer.

Nice to see some considerate views, bulk of contributors here demanded we

" suck it up"

pablo128 wrote: »
    Would you not grow a high boundary hedge around your property? I'm sure that would help.

Yes, should be eight foot high in a yewr

It's quite possible they are but other people reading this in the future can at least benefit from the responses

You mean they will see clearly how thick headed farmers are?

• Advertisement

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Then why did you say "No combine getting in"?
    Quite possible that cattle were moved the other way as there may be a holding pen for loading etc on the other entrance or it might just be easier to confine them there (entrance at the corner rather than the middle of a field).

Also quite possible that he still doesn't know that he has no right of way there.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know but he will in due course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement