Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hipped roof to gable roof cost

• 14-05-2019 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I recently bought a 3 semi-detached (Lucan area) with a hipped roof which ideally me and my wife would like to see that converted to an attic/storage or guest room. I understand that an attic conversion can be expensive considering that a change of the roof and the planning permission add up to the total cost.
    However, I was wondering if anyone has experience of the associated costs changing just the roof at this stage. I have received a quote of 6,000 Euros just to change the roof to gable (without the cost of the planning permission ).

I would appreciate any help.

Kind Regards,
    Dimitri

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cubu81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently bought a 3 semi-detached (Lucan area) with a hipped roof which ideally me and my wife would like to see that converted to an attic/storage or guest room. I understand that an attic conversion can be expensive considering that a change of the roof and the planning permission add up to the total cost.
    However, I was wondering if anyone has experience of the associated costs changing just the roof at this stage. I have received a quote of 6,000 Euros just to change the roof to gable (without the cost of the planning permission ).

I would appreciate any help.

Kind Regards,
    Dimitri

Sounds cheap.
    Doe that include finishing inside?
    Insulation?
    Plasterboard and painted?
    Scaffold?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cubu81

Hi,

The quote I got was as follows :

Attic + Stairs + 1 Velux window 12,800 Euros (no change of the roof but everything is finished except flooring)
    Attic + Hatch Stairs: 11,800 Euros (no change of the roof but everything is finished except flooring)

Hip to Apex 6,500 Euros

So I was thinking that I could have this done in 2 phases, first change the roof and a few months after that I could go ahead with the attic conversion.

Any ideas on how much the roofers would charge for just changing the roof from Hip to Apex?

Many thanks,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cubu81 wrote: »
    Hi,

The quote I got was as follows :

Attic + Stairs + 1 Velux window 12,800 Euros (no change of the roof but everything is finished except flooring)
    Attic + Hatch Stairs: 11,800 Euros (no change of the roof but everything is finished except flooring)

Hip to Apex 6,500 Euros

So I was thinking that I could have this done in 2 phases, first change the roof and a few months after that I could go ahead with the attic conversion.

Any ideas on how much the roofers would charge for just changing the roof from Hip to Apex?

Many thanks,

Agh, so it was priced in as part of a larger job.
    Economies of scale would come into play then.

They are obviously quoting it as the tools are on site already, scaffolding already in place and site prep etc in place.

To get the fable conversion done on its own I would have thought 10k.
    But then, what about insulation as you will be removing the hip and all associated insulation and membrane build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cubu81

Yes, this would be part of a larger job but I was thinking to have the job done in 2 different phases because it would cost a lot to do, all that in one go.
    Roof and everything will be insulated.

Advertisement