Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetsuit advice

• 10-05-2019 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have dabbled a little bit over the last few years doing the add sprint triathlon and a few open water swims.

This year I bit the bullet and entered the 70.3 in Dun Laoghaire.

Issue is, my wetsuit is in bits. Its about 6 or 7 years old (it wasnt a very expensive one..Tiger Tri I think is the brand)..splitting at the seams and quite a few tears.

Anyhow I have decided to replace it, and would appreciate some pointers on what to look for.

I can't see myself doing another 70.3 after this year, but will certainly doing shorter open water swims over the next 12 -24 Months...so not sure if I can justify going for a top end suit.

I am a decent swimmer if not especially fast. So I dont have any fears of a 1.9km swim in the sea but I expect I'll be finishing the swim middle of the pack.

Looking at Wiggle there is a raft of options for say 100 euro to 250 euro.

Is there much difference between say the Zone 3 Azure and the Zone 3 Advance..likewise the Orca TRN Thermo and the Orca s6?

Basically if I can get a wetsuit for 120 € rather than 200 euro what am I missing out on that will benefit me for the 70.3 swim .

Thanks as always!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

It depends on how good of a Swimmer you are.

Some of the cheaper Swim suits offer you more neoprene which increases the Buoyancy within the water so your legs don't start to drop. while on the other hand the flexibility around the shoulders and arms may not be there so you do start to feel that as the swim goes on.

If you are a good swimmer I would opt of something like the Sonar from Orca, have one myself it's a nice wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

docker.io wrote: »
    It depends on how good of a Swimmer you are.

Some of the cheaper Swim suits offer you more neoprene which increases the Buoyancy within the water so your legs don't start to drop. while on the other hand the flexibility around the shoulders and arms may not be there so you do start to feel that as the swim goes on.

If you are a good swimmer I would opt of something like the Sonar from Orca, have one myself it's a nice wetsuit.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I wouldn't be sure what a 'good swimmer' is. I would consider myself to be reasonably ok if not very quick. Did a 1km time trial in the pool this week with a time of 19 mins 42 seconds if that's any guide.

I'll take a look at the Sonar . Thanks!!

Advertisement