Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rod/reel choice and other questions.

Options
  • 10-05-2019 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

It's been 20 years since I bought my 1st and only fishing rod, which is lucky to get an hour or two of use every year! So I'm gonna get a newer one and hopefully make more use of it!

It will be used mainly for brown trout using spinner. And I'm not looking to break the bank.

What's the story with baitcasting reels as opposed to spinning reels? Is there any use for them with this kind of fishing?

What should I be looking for in a rod/reel? I'd like something compact that can easily go into a backpack or boot of a car, what else is a must?

And on another note, what other ways could I fish for trout? I have used worm and spinner for years. Is there other shop bought baits or lures that are effective?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

I have recently purchased this rod just to leave in the car and have access to it at any time.

I have used this to fish for trout with worms but mainly to use with soft plastic lures and rapalas to fish for trout and perch. Cannot fault it at all. Great action on this rod. I use a fixed spool reel with this.
    It is very compact.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berkley-Phazer-Pro-II-Spin-2-4-piece-7ft-8ft-9ft-Fishing-Rod/332128635426?hash=item4d5468ca22:m:m8E1wYtUNHI5oOraIQpaOlg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I have recently purchased this rod just to leave in the car and have access to it at any time.

I have used this to fish for trout with worms but mainly to use with soft plastic lures and rapalas to fish for trout and perch. Cannot fault it at all. Great action on this rod. I use a fixed spool reel with this.
    It is very compact.

Rod

Did you pay that money for it????? :eek: Redonkulous - €40 from me!!

Anyway Pat - If its not getting much use, Why go spend a fortune - Some good telescoptic rods about like the firebirds - Not high end by any means but will certainly do a job for you. and for €35 rod reel line they are a no brainer.

https://slaneyfishing.com/product/firebird-spin-combo/

If you do want to scale up a bit, give me a pm and we can run through the options. It really depends on the trout you will be going after locally and the size of the river your fishing, you can have some fantastic sport on a really light setup if your after fish under 2lb say, but will need something heavier if you want rainbows on lakes or the trout are a good size near you.

"Other ways" are fly fishing, a truly great way to fish, I genuinely feel you learn so much more about everything while fly fishing, and it really lends to the appreciation of the bigger picture regards fish, you start to learn about plants, flies, nymphs, stages of fly life, feeding patterns of fish and you get the answer to the "why" rather than just the catch - but its a life long journey, and will creep into your soul - you will find you have a lot more time to fish than you think when you pick up the fly rod :D

If you need anything at all or want more info let me know ill do my best to help.

It is very compact.

Anyway Pat - If its not getting much use, Why go spend a fortune - Some good telescoptic rods about like the firebirds - Not high end by any means but will certainly do a job for you. and for €35 rod reel line they are a no brainer.

If you do want to scale up a bit, give me a pm and we can run through the options. It really depends on the trout you will be going after locally and the size of the river your fishing, you can have some fantastic sport on a really light setup if your after fish under 2lb say, but will need something heavier if you want rainbows on lakes or the trout are a good size near you.

"Other ways" are fly fishing, a truly great way to fish, I genuinely feel you learn so much more about everything while fly fishing, and it really lends to the appreciation of the bigger picture regards fish, you start to learn about plants, flies, nymphs, stages of fly life, feeding patterns of fish and you get the answer to the "why" rather than just the catch - but its a life long journey, and will creep into your soul - you will find you have a lot more time to fish than you think when you pick up the fly rod :D

If you need anything at all or want more info let me know ill do my best to help.

It is very compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

ardinn wrote: »

€40 for the 9ft 15-40g 4 piece?

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »

€40 for the 9ft 15-40g 4 piece?

yes

Advertisement