Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heirloom Watch

Options
  • 05-05-2019 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This watch is a gift that belonged to my grandad and I'll like to have it as a dress watch for special occasions.

I am well aware that it not a fancy or expensive timepiece but the fact that it was my grandad's makes it priceless to me.

Surprisingly to me, I would it up tonight for the first time in decades and it still works, but stopped after a few minutes.

What I'd like to know is what is the best way to service this watch. Should I get new internals to the watch our would the insides be serviceable?

Also, does anyone know anything about this manufacturer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A pic of the insides would go a long way.
    It should be a simple enough movement to get serviced and there are many options for that.
    The case, crystal, hands and dial look in great condition.
    Personally I would get the watch serviced. Give the case and back a light polish with some cape cod metal polish cloth. The case is likely coated so anything too heavy will wear that gold plating away.
    I would go at the crystal gently with either toothpaste and cotton wool or with polywatch.
    I would not touch the dial or hands.
    And put a nice new leather strap on it.
    It’s great to have an heirloom like that so getting it back in prime condition will ensure that you wear it and it lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'd like to keep the strap if possible. I presume I can condition it somehow?

I'll try to prise open the casing and take a photo of the internals at the weekend. I'll then be able to know if I can service it myself or if it needs to into someone for the service.

Thanks.

Advertisement