Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stream from external hd to an ipad?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Can this be done?

Any recommendations for hard drives that stream to an ipad and or tv. Something i could leave plugged in

At moment i can stream from laptop to ipad using vlc streamer but dont like having laptop plugged in all the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 goalposts

You could buy a NAS (Networked Attached Storage), many of which can run Plex or similar software that allow streaming to any device type. An alternative is to set up a Raspberry Pi to share the contents of a USB connected hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

McSween wrote: »
    Can this be done?

Any recommendations for hard drives that stream to an ipad and or tv. Something i could leave plugged in

At moment i can stream from laptop to ipad using vlc streamer but dont like having laptop plugged in all the time

If you already have the HD then You might be able to it into your router and setup it up so it's viewable on your home network. It should then be accessible from iPad and TV. If your buying new, buy a small home NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

If you already have the HD then You might be able to it into your router and setup it up so it's viewable on your home network. It should then be accessible from iPad and TV. If your buying new, buy a small home NAS

Thanks. That is interesting to try later. It is a digiweb modem. Can you recommend an nas?

This worked - plugging external hard drive to digiweb fritz modem. However, some download and dont play. When this happens they can be sent to vlc streamer app which plays the video. I dont know why fritz app does not play certain videos.

This worked - plugging external hard drive to digiweb fritz modem. However, some download and dont play. When this happens they can be sent to vlc streamer app which plays the video. I dont know why fritz app does not play certain videos.

You may not need the fritz app. Try VLC player app on iPad. It should read network shares. I have it here and its reading my HD plugged into router. VLC should be able to play anything

• Advertisement

You may not need the fritz app. Try VLC player app on iPad. It should read network shares. I have it here and its reading my HD plugged into router. VLC should be able to play anything

Vlc app is telling me to open a link on pc. I purchased the app as free one had ads. It is still saying to run the link. I will have to try it properly again with a bit more time

Vlc app is telling me to open a link on pc. I purchased the app as free one had ads. It is still saying to run the link. I will have to try it properly again with a bit more time

Within the VLC app on the main menu you should see the Local Network option. Hit that and if your HD/router is setup currently it should appear their.

Advertisement