Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nymphing rods

• 20-04-2019 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all.I am going to give nymph fishing a lash this season and need some advice.I am looking at the guideline lps 9'9" #3 wt and the orvis Clearwater 10' #3 wt.I am hoping to use it as a dry fly rod also if possible.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be a bit outa touch with the more modern Euro style nymphing techniques and have always used whatever rod I had(who would have been near exclusively for dry). Longer is better (as the actress said to the bishop..) with the line high Euro method, I'd reckon either would do, though the ten footer would be slightly better for nymphing? though also depends on the river you're fishing. A smaller densely treed and bushed river where you're going commando fishing :D a ten footer would be a pain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 srv1

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be a bit outa touch with the more modern Euro style nymphing techniques and have always used whatever rod I had(who would have been near exclusively for dry). Longer is better (as the actress said to the bishop..) with the line high Euro method, I'd reckon either would do, though the ten footer would be slightly better for nymphing? though also depends on the river you're fishing. A smaller densely treed and bushed river where you're going commando fishing :D a ten footer would be a pain.

Thanks Webb.I appreciate the advice. This an area of fishing that is alien to me but it is something that intrigues me.I am looking forward to exploring this technique. Thanks again.

Advertisement