Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bob Dylan album.

• 18-04-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

Im listening to more of bob Dylan's music since watching the Vietnam war on Netflix where some of his music is in it, i find some of his music is like a window into history.
    But whats his best album? Was his best music made in the sixties?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Highway 61

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Blood on the tracks is my favourite album of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Another for Blood on the Tracks. Amazing piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Probably not that popular but Street Legal is my favorite followed by Desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

DeanAustin wrote:
    Another for Blood on the Tracks. Amazing piece of work.

I didn't appreciate it as much until I got older and had my heart broken a couple of times. To quote Bob "Every one of them words rang true.... Like it was written in my soul"

The original test pressing was released on vinyl the other day for Record store day. Worth tracking down to hear the original New York versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bringing It All Back Home is my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Mine would have to be Bringing It All Back Home. I love how it showcases both his acoustic and electric sides on it. It has some of his best lyrics on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

You are all wrong.
    Blonde on Blonde ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

That's a tough one, but I'd have to go for 'The Best of Bob Dylan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Cazale wrote: »
    I didn't appreciate it as much until I got older and had my heart broken a couple of times. To quote Bob "Every one of them words rang true.... Like it was written in my soul"

The original test pressing was released on vinyl the other day for Record store day. Worth tracking down to hear the original New York versions.

For sure "Blood on the ..." is the heartbreak album. Buckets of rain is one hell of a song.

To go back to the OP's question he doesn't have a best album, he just has so many outstanding albums.

Blood on the tracks is emotional. But so beautiful.

"Highway" is the landmark album imo. When he really moved into the growing rock scene of the 60's.

"Bringing it all" started that move. And it has some classic moments. (Love minus zero, it's all over now baby blue).

I'm barely touching the surface there.

John Wesley Harding is a hauntingly beautiful album from the late 60's.

His 90's comeback was brilliant. Time out of Mind combines sadness with humour in a way that few people can replicate.

If this is your Dylan journey, well good luck. And I'm so jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

It's an impossible task to pick a favourite tbh. So many of his albums are totally different so it's very difficult to just choose one.

Highway 61, Bringing it all back home & blonde on blonde are probably my top three (in no particular order).

Freewheeling can't be overlooked either for his folk stage.

Have always thought that New Morning was pretty underrated too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It's like trying to pick ur favorite child

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Oh Mercy is supposedly on the rubbish tip - as far as good Dylan albums go.

But sh1t, it's impressive.
    Daniel Lanois producer. 1989. The lost Dylan years they say...

The fountain is very deep :)

Try it out. Not classic. But very rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Different albums for different moods / situations

On a Sunday morning, I love playing Slow Train Coming

Late night, home alone - Blood On The Tracks

Driving on the motorway - Highway 61 Revisited

Bus or train journey - Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde On Blonde

Drunken commute - Greatest Hits Volume II

Pub / few drinks with friends - Oh Mercy followed by out-take Series Of Dreams

When recommending for newbies - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan or Another Side Of Bob Dylan

Summer days, windows open - Nashville Skyline

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

IF you are interested in Bob Dylan there is a great podcast out there called "Bob Dylan - Album by Album". I found it great for learning more about his lesser known or less celebrated albums.

For me there is so much great music there it's hard to pick one, though I'd probably go Highway 61 Revisited. Like a Rolling Stone and Desolation Row are both all time classic Dylan songs. And everything in between is excellent also.

The album changed the course of rock music and Dylan in 1966 moved away from folk-Rock protest songs to reinvent himself completely.

The 3 album between 1965 and 66 are all great and should be considered together. Along with Blood on the Tracks I think they are his best albums. I also love a lot of the late 90's - mid 00's period.

For a top 10 I'd go with

1. Highway 61 Revisited
    2. Blood on the Tracks
    3. Blonde on Blonde
    4. Bringing it all Back Home
    5. Time out of Mind
    6. Modern Times
    7. Oh Mercy
    8. Desire
    9. The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    10 The Basement Tapes

I find it hard to pick 10, never mind just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yep, not to mention all of the live album releases & demos. An impossible task!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Well I've got lots of albums download on spotify for our trip to longford tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

onform wrote: »
    That's a tough one, but I'd have to go for 'The Best of Bob Dylan'.

I prefer "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" myself, Mr Partridge.

On a serious note, my vote is for Blonde on Blonde, although Desire is the one I listen to most

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

adrian522 wrote: »
    IF you are interested in Bob Dylan there is a great podcast out there called "Bob Dylan - Album by Album".

Cheers m8, must have a listen.

Off the top of my head, I'll have a stab at my top 10.

1. Highway 61 Revisited
    2. Blood on the Tracks
    3. Desire
    4. Blonde on Blonde
    5. The Times They Are A Changin'
    6. Bringing it all Home.
    7. The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    8. John Wesley Harding
    9. Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    10. Oh Mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Blood on the tracks, followed by Blonde on Blonde, Desire, Infidels, Street legal and Time out of mind.

Any musician that can leave Blind Willie McTell off an album is pretty unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Has to be Blood on The Tracks.

Listen to that if you're going through a break-up, it cuts like a knife. Maybe don't listen to it then, actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Probably Blood on the Tracks. I love Blood on the Tapes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I got into Dylan via a friend recommending Desire to me. He said if I still didn't like Dylan after listening to it, then fair enough, he wasn't for me.

I couldn't pick one, but The Times They Are A-Changin', Bringing It All Back Home, Blood On The Tracks, Desire and Oh Mercy are all highly recommended.

Advertisement