Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the most comfortable camping mat/bed?

• 01-04-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    This may have been asked before, but, what is the most comfortable way to sleep camping? Getting back into camping this summer ahead so want to be prepared. I slept on a 50mm self inflating mat recently and found it quiet uncomfortable. It is about 12 years since i was camping half regularly, so i am out of practice and have a nice (softish) mattress at home. I suppose i'll be arriving by car most times so small size isnt too important. Are air beds the best? Are some air beds better than others? Or is the likes of a cushion from a sunlounger a good option? At this point you might say, why dont i just stay at home, or bring a full mattress with me, actually thats maybe not a bad idea, (the mattress that is).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Moderators, you probably feel like moving this post/Thread from Outdoor Pursuits to 'Saps and Sissies' or whatever forum suits, its not very Bear Grylls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's your budget and car camping or backpacking?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What's your budget and car camping or backpacking?

I don’t have a budget, just looking for thoughts on it. I’ll be arriving by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sphagnum moss is the best I've ever camped on in the Lough Inagh area in Galway...

Once in France, a couple arrived on a site with a transit van, pitched their tent and took a sprung matteres from the back of the van into the tent

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How high is your tent? I ask as back in Toronto, between when old mattress broke, and new mattress came, I slept on a "Woods DreamTech Double-HighAirbed with Built-In Pump". So so good.

So would recommend a "double high" airbed, purely as your ass is supported.

Is it just you, or you plus spouse? If just you, and you'll be going by car, maybe check out some cots?
    A quick Google says that this place may have cots that you can try lying on; https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/stores/dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Once in France, a couple arrived on a site with a transit van, pitched their tent and took a sprung matteres from the back of the van into the tent

And why not?

I for one am a bad sleeper. Not much chance of any sleep if I'm not in my own bed. And even then. Good sleepers don't know how lucky they are.

Another issue is that i'm a recent enough scout leader, so i have to kinda lead by example, i shouldnt really bring a full size single mattress with me, i'd prefer to sneak in my comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

Exped inflatable, down-filled mattress. Packs down reasonably small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have used those inflatable mattresses that people have in their homes for when people want to sleep over. as in proper thickness it was perfect. a bit awkward to get it into the tent but I managed :D Remember to bring proper pillows too.

If you want to be more hardcore looking get a self inflating mattresses but get a much thicker cold weather one tried them in an outdoor shop years ago and they were like a proper mattress.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Was out last weekend, overnighter on Kelly's Lough......cold enough, ice on tent in the morning.

First time I brought out, must be 30 years old, Thermarest Z Rest, to supplement my NeoAir (original, yellow). Made a huge difference to heat. Considering it was sub zero, I slept in just trousers and LS base layer.

Z Rest will be coming with me from now on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement