Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

App or site to predict % of cloud cover?

Options
  • 19-02-2019 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

I'm recently shooting the stars at night around Blessington with my camera, and a friend is checking out further with his telescope. However, clouds; if the clouds come, the sky disappears, and often we only find out that the clouds are there when we're already there.

So, I was wondering is there an app that would say if it'll be cloudy at a certain area at a certain time, and closer to the time; how much clouds will happen then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

https://xcweather.co.uk does some sort of estimate. No idea how reliable it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Last night at 7:30 was a crispy clear sky.
    Decided with my son,to go for the beautiful moon.

Went inside to get my camera bag and tripod,3 minutes.
    Setup the camera,allow few minutes to cool down and to get my eyes adjusted to dark.
    Look up...clouds all over the place.

Sat another few minutes chatting and then decided to get back in the house.

On my way back to house,looked up and few nice opening in the cloud for the photos.
    I said "fcuk the weather" and put the ketle on and forgot about the whole fcukign saga.
    What my eyes can see and what my digital advanced camera sensor see, is a different story all together...
    By the time you get few shots to find right settings for camera,you get your eyes and camera and sky syncronised,all could be lost.And i am talking about a camera,basic setup with tripod,lens and remote control.
    Imagne getting a telescope,that could have taken half hour easily.

Thats the main issue here: clouds that cannot be predicted and you can lose the patience very easy.
    And all this across of few minutes or few hours.
    If you can manage that time in advance or with patience and preparation...let me know please.
    4k scope equipment sitting gathering dust in the attic because i cannot get a proper observing session.

473509.JPG

473510.JPG

473512.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I have the Dark Sky app out of the app store and it gives you an hour by hour cloud cover percentage for a given location.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

It's Ireland.....3 guesses what the cloud cover will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Grand. Using
    http://clearoutside.com/forecast/53.17/-6.53 & https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/infraPolair

473886.PNG

473884.PNG

So it should be cloud free until maybe 2am, and will keep an eye on the Dark Sky app to have an idea of how much time I'll have. The "usual spot" is popular at night... but for the swingers. Mate and I scared off 3 cars the moment I took out the camera the last time. A "couple" walking nearby also disappeared, but their car stayed. The other time I went, it was cloudy, but there was only one car there. For whatever reason, if it's a good night for the stars, the randy people will meet up there :eek: :pac:

Have two other spots in mind, but the primary spot is very good for telescope. Secondary spot, being close/in/nearby a valley, it can get foggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.
    I know your feelings.
    People goes there with a scare hiding reason and once they see you with big photos and other recording devices, they may go crazy and start getting at you.
    Do not go alone and get organised.
    Just stay safe and secure.

I had my street neighbours questioning me on what I'm I doing with my photo and scope and binoculars at night time...looking at them in the bedrooms !???

You see ,sometime is not only the clouds that creates troubles.
    A small one is crazy.
    But the air quality and transparency is a major factor.
    Some nights, clear of clouds the air just seems impossible to focus on the objects...
    I guess it will build up as time goes and experience will advise you on best move.
    We just go out if we want to do observation, but that's in front of my home.

Outside, we used to meet behind Sugar Loaf but that kind of dies due to bad weather and people abandoning their equipment !?

Advertisement