Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slieve Bloom Way - in 3 days, 2 nights

• 25-01-2019 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone done this hike with overnight stops?
    If you're "wild camping", there's seems to be plenty of places to stop.

But if you want to travel as light as possible and not carry a tent, it looks like there are only 3 locations close to the trail to get hotel/b&b roof-over-your-head accommodation?

e.g. Kinnity, Cadamstown and Clonaslee. Which leaves over half the walk without such options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

donaghs wrote: »
    Hi, anyone done this hike with overnight stops?
    If you're "wild camping", there's seems to be plenty of places to stop.

But if you want to travel as light as possible and not carry a tent, it looks like there are only 3 locations close to the trail to get hotel/b&b roof-over-your-head accommodation?

e.g. Kinnity, Cadamstown and Clonaslee. Which leaves over half the walk without such options?

B&Bs in these situations often do pickups/ drop outs if you've arranged to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Hi,
    Im a bit late, but I did this last summer. I had a tent so did not use accommodation, but you are right that those are the only places to stay.
    I have to say the hike is pretty boring. Long distances hiking through pine forest along coillte gravel roads. No high peaks or great views. Lots of better hikes in Ireland. Also I didnt meet a single person during the three days.
    Im from Laois so wanted to cross it off my list and well, now I have. Its about the best I can say for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Can this be walked with a dog on a lead? I have seen mixed reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Can this be walked with a dog on a lead? I have seen mixed reports.

You could walk almost the entire thing with a dog off the lead. Apart from maybe 10k around Clonaslee which pass through farmland, or Glenbarrow which almost always has day trippers walking their dogs.
    Like I said, the rest of the time is spent in forest and I didn't meet a single person.

Advertisement