Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

haha thats fantastic from Ronnie. Don't see any issue with his behaviour. Officials made a bags of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Should be a bit more subdued today, anyways, with Robertson/Perry (good friends) and Williams/Carter. I'd really like to see Williams go deep in a tournament before defending his World Championship title next month. His best result since winning the World Open last August, was getting to the QF in the German Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

We're a long way from Dennis Taylor joking about with Len Ganley here. The ref got confused, especially around the mistake with the red, and probably felt nervous around Ronnie, as did the other two refs who seemed a bit passive given they have the screens. The refs won't be paid much, it's not always an easy job, that position was a little tricky, and everyone can make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldn’t be making excuses for him, he’s 18 years at the job and, at the very least, shouldn’t be getting into a muddle in such a situation, however tricky. That said, there’s no doubt refs will be more inclined to get firm with low ranking players, have seen it happen several times, while the likes of ronnie will be indulged to varying extents. I’ve often wondered, given the available technology, if those replacement situations shouldn’t be completely taken out of players control but you’d need to have top notch officiating at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I thought it was a ignorant from Ronnie, have come to expect it unfortunately.

Still my favourite player ever so hope to see him win it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

zuutroy wrote: »
    He couldn't really help because the replacement of the white was in a crowded area and he couldn't get close with his finger or cue to show where it was. Certainly looks up for it this week.

Would you give over, Barry Hawkins got the job done in ten seconds, for Ronine. Imagine the other player, helping the ref to respot the white, for his opponent. Absolute madness. The whole situation could have been over so much earlier if he hadn't been such a knob, and actually assisted the ref when asked. Sure, it's not his job, and sure, the ref and other officials were a bit muddled, but Ronnie made the whole thing ten times worse with his diva antics. How many times in a snooker match do we see players saying to refs "nah, it was down a bit more than that", etc etc.

It’s obvious he has an issue with that particular ref, not sure he’d have behaved in quite such belligerent fashion with the likes of jan verhaas.

Anyway guess it’s ok he’s given us something to talk about as the snooker has been pretty drab so far.

It’s obvious he has an issue with that particular ref, not sure he’d have behaved in quite such belligerent fashion with the likes of jan verhaas.

Anyway guess it’s ok he’s given us something to talk about as the snooker has been pretty drab so far.

On a semi related note....I noticed straight away last night that we're back to the usual crappy shallow viewing angle. So much of the screen now is wasted space (non snooker table), in order to presumably ensure that the sponsors logo fits perfectly at the top of the screen now. Are the officials using this same angle to assist respotting? I couldn't help but think if the camera angle was higher, like it is for the BBC covered events, it'd make respotting much easier. With this shallow angle, it's sometimes hard to gauge exactly where the balls are in relation to the rest of the table.

Inviere wrote: »
    On a semi related note....I noticed straight away last night that we're back to the usual crappy shallow viewing angle. So much of the screen now is wasted space (non snooker table), in order to presumably ensure that the sponsors logo fits perfectly at the top of the screen now. Are the officials using this same angle to assist respotting? I couldn't help but think if the camera angle was higher, like it is for the BBC covered events, it'd make respotting much easier. With this shallow angle, it's sometimes hard to gauge exactly where the balls are in relation to the rest of the table.

You may have a point, seemed to be struggling a bit with it for some reason. The chinese seem to have a better system for replacing where the assistant can see the outline of the cue ball and ref manoeuvers it until it’s in exact position. No arguments necessary. Don’t seem to use that in the uk or i just haven’t noticed it.

That was a pretty terrible match from what i saw of it between robbo and perry. One of comms mentioned fact that they’re great friends and practice partners as a mitigating factor but that’s always a pretty bad excuse for me. The same with trump and lisowski. These guys should be ruthless and unconcerned with friendships, don’t ever remember it being an issue with Alex and jimmy back in the day, always good matches fiercely contested which is way it should always be.

• Advertisement

Trump was pretty commanding closing out 6-0 against Jimmy Robertson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Trump very good again tonight. He really is the real deal now. I'd back him against anyone in a best of 19, but has been said, we just need to see him in the long haul of Sheffield. I think he is there.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Trump very good again tonight. He really is the real deal now. I'd back him against anyone in a best of 19, but has been said, we just need to see him in the long haul of Sheffield. I think he is there.

Same. Either Allen or Trump will be the next 'new' World Champ.

Good win for higgins and sounds a lot happier and more confident than he has all season. Coming into a bit of form at the right time of the season i think. Had him all but written off a few weeks ago, now thinking he’ll be right in the mix for the worlds.

Disappointed for David Gilbert, he's been in the Top 8 all season, but now looks to miss the Top 8 event right before the cut-off. Unless he can at the very least make it to the Gibraltar Open final, which would knock Kyren Wilson out of the Tour Championship.

Trump played well to comeback against Lisowski, who bottled it again. I still don't think this is "Trump's year" for the World Championship, in a year or two maybe, as his game continues to mature. Selby won his first World title at 30 years old, Trump will be 30 for next year's Worlds...

https://twitter.com/judd147t/status/1103063188982153216

Quarter-Finals:
    Neil Robertson v Mark Williams - Today, 1pm
    Mark Allen v Stuart Bingham - Today, 7pm
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins - Friday, 1pm

Semi-Finals:
    Robertson/Williams v Judd Trump - Friday, 7pm
    Allen/Bingham v O'Sullivan/Higgins - Saturday, 7pm

I'd love for Williams to make the final, against Ronnie. Like last month's World Grand Prix, there's no session on Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Lisowski seems to have the talent, but not the mental strength to be a top player.

Looking forward to O'Sullivan v Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Mark Allen through to the semis after coming from 3-0 down to win 6-4 against Stuart Bingham.

Ronnie playing Higgins tomorrow in the last quarter. I'm having a few bob on Higgins. Ronnie respects him and calls him the governor. He sees no loss of honour in losing to John.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Ronnie playing Higgins tomorrow in the last quarter. I'm having a few bob on Higgins. Ronnie respects him and calls him the governor. He sees no loss of honour in losing to John.
    https://snookerhq.com/2019/03/07/osullivan-and-higgins-equal-record/

Head-to-head is 35-29, to Ronnie. Their most recent meeting four months ago, in the 2018 Champion of Champions, resulted in a 6-3 win for Ronnie. Higgins hasn't defeated Ronnie in a best-of-11 match in nearly 10 years.

Wasn’t sure what shape higgins would be in following his india exertions but looks well up for this and wants desperately to make the tour championships. Give him a good chance today, betting is underestimating him for sure imo.

Quite fitting that the final four of this Top 16 tournament are four of the Top 5 players all season. The semi-finalists are the best players of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Quite fitting that the final four of this Top 16 tournament are four of the Top 5 players all season. The semi-finalists are the best players of the season.

Shaping up nicely for Sheffield.

Also just shows you what an average season it has been. None of these players has played consistently well through the season, indeed been fairly average or worse for good parts of it. I guess it’s just the way it’s going to be in the new snooker universe. Probably will never be another so dominant like hendry as ronnie said earlier in his interview, too mentally demanding these days.

Also just shows you what an average season it has been. None of these players has played consistently well through the season, indeed been fairly average or worse for good parts of it. I guess it’s just the way it’s going to be in the new snooker universe. Probably will never be another so dominant like hendry as ronnie said earlier in his interview, too mentally demanding these days.

Yep, and far more tournaments now so to dominate for a decade today, you’d need to be superhuman.

Yep, and far more tournaments now so to dominate for a decade today, you’d need to be superhuman.

Yeah unless they can pick and choose when to peak somehow but seems easier said than done. But ding did win 5 tournaments one season and selby did the same so it’s not impossible to put long runs together. Selby has won this season but has looked mostly out of shape with his game to me, yet is still No.4 on the season list. Maybe it’s just me but it all just seems a little mediocre and jaded right now. Still be looking forward to the worlds though!

Yeah unless they can pick and choose when to peak somehow but seems easier said than done. But ding did win 5 tournaments one season and selby did the same so it’s not impossible to put long runs together. Selby has won this season but has looked mostly out of shape with his game to me, yet is still No.4 on the season list. Maybe it’s just me but it all just seems a little mediocre and jaded right now. Still be looking forward to the worlds though!

I think to dominate for a decade like Davis and Hendry did though, we’ll not see that again given the current structure. Sure, you can put long runs together, but this takes its toll after a season or two. Not too long ago, Shelby was damn near untouchable, he’s still collecting points this season, but I think his time at the top has took its toll.

And agreed re things seeming jaded and mediocre, the standard this season has been embarrassing at times.

I think to dominate for a decade like Davis and Hendry did though, we’ll not see that again given the current structure. Sure, you can put long runs together, but this takes its toll after a season or two. Not too long ago, Shelby was damn near untouchable, he’s still collecting points this season, but I think his time at the top has took its toll.

And agreed re things seeming jaded and mediocre, the standard this season has been embarrassing at times.

Yes i think it is too difficult alright and i strongly believe as well that players now in general lack the mental stamina required (why i’d personally stick to the old stagers to pick the world championship winner). Thought ronnie made a good point today when asked if trump could ascend to a davis/hendry level of dominance and he said there’s nobody behind him pushing him on. That’s so true. Watched lisowski the other night and depressing how quickly he folds when pressure is applied. Ronnie had higgins, hendry and mjw pushing him relentlessly with a support cast of doherty, hunter, ebdon, stevens, mcmanus & others. Just don’t hsve anything remotely resembling that these days imo.

That is a very good point. You need a bit of competition and a bit of pressure to get an edge.

It's nice to hear Clive Everton still commentating at 81. Mr. Snooker, although his voice is a little fainter now, no reason why he shouldn't keep it going.

Clive has sounded a bit weak/hoarse alright this week but greatest thing about itv coverage is having him on. Great insights into the matches and not in an annoying Phil Yates stat attack kind of way.

Good win for robbo tonight, bossed the match totally from 1-3 down. Not his biggest fan but when he’s got somewhere close to his a game he is very good to watch.

Clive is great, but the "girl" he pointed out in the crowd possibly "developing a life-long love of the game", was actually a boy...and Neil Robertson's son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Clive Everton is pure class. Very eloquent, I like his laid back style. Didn’t know he was 81, hope he keeps on going.

All Australian final tomorrow. Need to do something about that table, conditions looked fairly horrific.

Advertisement