Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Releases 2019

• 07-01-2019 9:36am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New Year, New Thread.

What's coming up this year?
    Rumbles of a Kendrick album, Vince Staples has 4 albums ready to go, Schoolboy Q has a few ready to go as well.

Has there been anything noteworthy so far this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Really hope a new Kendrick album comes out.

Rumors of Childish Gambino releasing new material also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Be interesting to see where Kendrick goes next. The story telling of Good Kid, the jazzy complex narrative of the evolution of Kendrick on TPAB, his inner examination and heavy heavy beats on DAMN. Im psyched to see what direction he goes in.

So far listened to 21 Savage, i like what he's doing and can listen to the album straight thru, but i dont think the whole thing is very cohesive, its like a lot of songs just put together. There's also a lot of paint by numbers gangster songs, which is cool, just nothing too interesting there for me.

Gave Bad Bunny a spin and didnt get past track three, read a good review, but I'll probably revisit this one.

Has anyone heard of the Dublin rap group NUXSENSE?

Pitchfork have an album review up of one of their members solo albums, Luthorist?

Going to give it a spin later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

New Sean P album!!!!

Sean P & Small Professor — 86 Witness. On my first listen and loving it, production and features are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What is that album exactly? Unused verses, remixes or tracks they had done together that just weren't released?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a proper album that they were working on together. I'm not sure how complete it was though. Must give it a listen.

You can tell there wasn't a lot of material recorded, it's a short album, with a lot of features and some of the songs are instrumental heavy. Work a listen though. I enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

^ Pretty much this.

Some dope verses from P!, you can here that some songs were not finished and a verse from one of Small Professors homies was added. Not a bad thing, as he rolls with the likes of Zilla Rocca, Elucid, Curly Castro who all fit in lovely on the album.

Anyone remember Kwest Tha Maad Lad?
    Here's a new EP from him, it's his first release in years and years and years.
    https://xraydamindbenda.bandcamp.com/album/s-p-i-t-r?fbclid=IwAR1N1_rO7BguyMvDrrLukyKXLUHf4r_xisjuZ0SQDbdafVADLHM_qL8u74c

He actually had hung up the mic, but was persuaded out of retirement.
    It's OK, nothing amazing but a nice listen. I'm going to listen to This Is My First Album now as it's a classic.

Another track from the Ghostface meets Czarface album

CZARFACE MEETS GHOSTFACE is out now. Really liking it. Album gets stronger as it goes on. Beats are sinister, futuristic and weird, rebel INS and Ghostface are on form.

• Advertisement

Lazerbeak - Luther
    New instrumental album from the Doomtree producer. 7 songs and 37 minutes in length.
    I've just listened to the first song so far called 'Take Time' and it wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I was expecting an MC Ren album, it's just a single.
    Not bad, but nothing noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

New j cole track is great

MOD - I've added it for you, just put tags around the code at the end like this, but without spaces

New song from Tierra Whack

She should be releasing a new song every week now apparently. Songs that are not 1 minute long :)

New Freddie Gibbs x Madlib alert, new Freddie Gibbs x Madlib alert

Flat Tummy Tea on Spotify.

I was wondering why he's been on instagram talking about flat tummy tea lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    New Freddie Gibbs x Madlib alert, new Freddie Gibbs x Madlib alert

Flat Tummy Tea on Spotify.

I was wondering why he's been on instagram talking about flat tummy tea lately.

An album called ' bandana' is on the way

• Advertisement

Just read that there is apparently a Madlib and Mac Miller album that was recorded called Maclib.
    Thelonous Martin mentioned this in an interview, Madlib has played at least one of the songs in a set.

It will be interesting to see if anything more surfaces from that.

Anyone hear anything about the Alchemist and EARL album that is on youtube? Alc said in a post a few weeks back that they recorded an album and put it on youtube under a random name. Don't think that it's been found yet.

Lots of rumours bout that album on the back of a fader interview done with Thelonius. DJ clockwork also confirmed that he has the songs, on either his twitter or Instagram.

It will all be done at the pace his family wants id imagine, but he consistently sais he wanted his work released at some point if he died.

I believe there are ten completed albums confirmed, including the Pink Slime album with Pharrel and the follow up to Swimming.

10! :eek:
    I wonder if some of them will be under his jazz alter ego.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    10! :eek:
    I wonder if some of them will be under his jazz alter ego.

Larry lovestein? Lets hope so, i loved that You album.

But yeah, apparently he spent three years during his heavy drug phase in the studio but not releasing anything.

From a scan of reddit, it seems that there have been leaks of rumours that he recorded a hard rap album at the same time as divine feminine but released divine feminine instead.

In terms of output, if you look at the intro song to swimming he said he wrote and recorded that two years prior to the album because he knew the concept he wanted to follow. He then recorded ten different songs to open the album but came back to the original. So his output is massive. I also recall interviews where he said his process is to record up to 200 songs with a concept in mind for an album and narrow it down to what we see, so the amount of songs is potentially unbelievable, although obviously quality might not always be there!

Last off topic point on my nerding out of mac, have you heard his two mixtapes under his delusional thomas alter ego? Run on sentences vol.1 and 2? Both available on YouTube and worth a listen.

I've heard 1 of the Delusional Thomas tapes, really good. I had downloaded his whole catalogue to go through it but haven't gotten around to it. I just started replaying one of the early mixtapes on repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

VW 1 wrote: »
    Larry lovestein? Lets hope so, i loved that You album.

But yeah, apparently he spent three years during his heavy drug phase in the studio but not releasing anything.

From a scan of reddit, it seems that there have been leaks of rumours that he recorded a hard rap album at the same time as divine feminine but released divine feminine instead.

In terms of output, if you look at the intro song to swimming he said he wrote and recorded that two years prior to the album because he knew the concept he wanted to follow. He then recorded ten different songs to open the album but came back to the original. So his output is massive. I also recall interviews where he said his process is to record up to 200 songs with a concept in mind for an album and narrow it down to what we see, so the amount of songs is potentially unbelievable, although obviously quality might not always be there!

Last off topic point on my nerding out of mac, have you heard his two mixtapes under his delusional thomas alter ego? Run on sentences vol.1 and 2? Both available on YouTube and worth a listen.

I've finally found someone else to nerd out on Mac with, the girlfriend has to listen to enough of it :pac:

Run On Sentences Vol 1 and 2 are such an experience. Listened to them with a joint or two one night and it was bliss. I love them both so much. Especially "Smile" at the end of Vol. 2.

His potential catalogue is absolutely insane, I can only hope we get to hear even some of it. Really eager to hear Circles, the follow up to Swimming which was apparently close to being finished.

Saw you mention it above about Clockwork tweeting he has the Maclib album, he seems to be causing friction since Mac's death. Wasn't invited to The Celebration of Life concert and Q tweeted last night "theres paying homage and theres getting paid". I know ID Labs also had an exchange with him on twitter a month or two back when Clock played an unreleased song at a gig he had in NY, telling him he had to chill. Mac was also due to go on tour without him for the first time and pretty sure they didn't talk in the last few months of Mac's life. So there must have been something happening between them.

Also worth mentioning for anyone who doesn't know, there was an unreleased Mac track released last week by Seth Hirsch, called Say Goodbye. Turns out this Seth Hirsch dude somehow got his hands on an unreleased Mac track and put his own verse on it for clout. Complex and a few other media companies tweeted about the song, it made its way onto Spotify for a few hours before being completely taken off the internet by the seems of it. Amazing what people will do to gain popularity off someones death.

I've finally found someone else to nerd out on Mac with, the girlfriend has to listen to enough of it :pac:

Run On Sentences Vol 1 and 2 are such an experience. Listened to them with a joint or two one night and it was bliss. I love them both so much. Especially "Smile" at the end of Vol. 2.

His potential catalogue is absolutely insane, I can only hope we get to hear even some of it. Really eager to hear Circles, the follow up to Swimming which was apparently close to being finished.

Saw you mention it above about Clockwork tweeting he has the Maclib album, he seems to be causing friction since Mac's death. Wasn't invited to The Celebration of Life concert and Q tweeted last night "theres paying homage and theres getting paid". I know ID Labs also had an exchange with him on twitter a month or two back when Clock played an unreleased song at a gig he had in NY, telling him he had to chill. Mac was also due to go on tour without him for the first time and pretty sure they didn't talk in the last few months of Mac's life. So there must have been something happening between them.

Also worth mentioning for anyone who doesn't know, there was an unreleased Mac track released last week by Seth Hirsch, called Say Goodbye. Turns out this Seth Hirsch dude somehow got his hands on an unreleased Mac track and put his own verse on it for clout. Complex and a few other media companies tweeted about the song, it made its way onto Spotify for a few hours before being completely taken off the internet by the seems of it. Amazing what people will do to gain popularity off someones death.

I find the most information is r/macmiller, but at times it can be a bit of a love-in and circle jerk, plus I don't especially love Reddit in general.

The missus is sick of me playing/listening to him the last few months, but she did get me a framed version of 2009's lyrics in the shape of an LP for my birthday!

Yeah the Clock DJ set and releasing unheard tracks without the family knowledge is strange, as well as not being invited to the Celebration concert.

But yeah, here's hoping we get to hear some of the catalogue at some point, I'm sure there's a lot of great material.

Agree about a joint being the absolute perfect accompaniment to Delusional Thomas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

VW 1 wrote: »
    I find the most information is r/macmiller, but at times it can be a bit of a love-in and circle jerk, plus I don't especially love Reddit in general.

The missus is sick of me playing/listening to him the last few months, but she did get me a framed version of 2009's lyrics in the shape of an LP for my birthday!

Yeah the Clock DJ set and releasing unheard tracks without the family knowledge is strange, as well as not being invited to the Celebration concert.

But yeah, here's hoping we get to hear some of the catalogue at some point, I'm sure there's a lot of great material.

Agree about a joint being the absolute perfect accompaniment to Delusional Thomas!

Yeah I'm an avid reader of r/macmiller myself but I see what you mean, sometimes I feel like I'm way older than a lot of the people in there and I'm only 24.

That 2009 frame sounds so sick, have you any pictures of it? I have the Swimming artwork framed in my sitting room myself, a cherished possession :D

• Advertisement

Basically, DeLa have been trying to get all their music on streaming platforms. But with the deal they signed way back in the day and whatever distribution deals they signed, they only get 10% of revenue from streaming services. Tommy Boy get 90% I believe.

So the streaming will be happening, but they will make nothing from it.

Advertisement