Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Musical Artistes with The Same Names or Very Similar Names

• 27-09-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭

It occurred to me that there have been quite a few musical artistes with the same name, or practically the same name. Here are all the examples I could think of.

1. Paul Young: There is the solo singer who had a number of hits, particularly in the ‘80s, such as Wherever I Lay My Hat. Then there was the other now deceased Paul Young, who was the singer with Sad Café (biggest hit: Everyday Hurts) and one of the singers with Mike and The Mechanics (All I Need is a Miracle, for example).

2. Mick Jones: There is the guitarist (and sometimes keyboardist) and songwriter and only constant member of English-American rock band Foreigner. Then, the other Mick Jones is the former lead guitarist and sometimes lead vocalist of The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go being his most famous) and frontman of Big Audio Dynamite. He also is live guitarist for The Gorillaz and a producer.

3. Roger Taylor: The first is the drummer and a founding member of Queen. The second is the drummer (most of the time) with Duran Duran!

4. Randy Jackson: The first was born Steven Randall Jackson, but known as Randy Jackson. He is a singer-songwriter best known as a member of The Jacksons and the only brother younger than Michael. He co-wrote Shake Your Body (Down to The Ground). The second is a bassist, singer and record producer, as well as a tv personality.

5. Michael / Mick Jackson: The first, Michael, now deceased, needs no introduction having been a major American solo pop singer (albums such as Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad and many hit singles), as well as the main lead vocalist for The Jackson Five and The Jacksons. The second, Mick Jackson, is an English singer-songwriter who co-wrote and sung Blame It On The Boogie. Amazingly, this was also covered by The Jacksons, featuring Michael Jackson on lead vocals! Both versions were in the U.K. charts around the same time!

Then of course: If David Bowie had stuck with his real name David Jones, he could have been confused with fellow English-born singer Davy Jones of The Monkees. Sadly, both are now dead.

I know there are more that I just can’t remember at the moment. And what about female examples?
    Can you think of more examples?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Then of course: If David Bowie had stuck with his real name David Jones, he could have been confused with fellow English-born singer Davy Jones of The Monkees. Sadly, both are now dead

That was the first one that came to my mind.

Don't know any other musicians but I remember hearing before that there was a Nirvana before Nirvana.

Looked it up there and apparently they did take them to court over it and settled.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

American rock band Halestorm

Not to be confused with pirate metal band Alestorm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Suede are called The London Suede in the USA due to a lawsuit with an American singer with the same name

R-929315-1287965361.jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A Robyn who'd a hit with Show Me Love

A Robin who'd a hit with Show Me Love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

4. Randy Jackson: The first was born Steven Randall Jackson, but known as Randy Jackson. He is a singer-songwriter best known as a member of The Jacksons and the only brother younger than Michael. He co-wrote Shake Your Body (Down to The Ground). The second is a bassist, singer and record producer, as well as a tv personality.

The "two" Randy's are, in fact, one and the same.
    James Brown shares his name with the former lead singer of Kool And The Gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

chicorytip wrote: »

No, they ain't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Jackson_(The_Jacksons)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Jackson

Anyway, my contribution: the unfortunate H from Steps (Ian Watkins) share his name with the pedo singer, formerly of LostProphets, Ian Watkins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_%22H%22_Watkins
    In November 2013 it was reported that Watkins had been receiving hate mail through Twitter from people confusing him with Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins, who had recently pleaded guilty to 11 sex offences involving children.[14] H received a public apology in court from E! Entertainment Television for their having used his photo to illustrate a story about the Lostprophets singer.[15] H was also said to be "furious" and pursuing legal action after his image appeared next to stories about the other Watkins' crimes through searches on Google News.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Watkins_(Lostprophets)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

70's Detroit rock band Death, widely hailed as precursors to punk rock.

Legendary Florida death metal band Death, who released a string of brilliant albums from the late 80's and into the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

As far as I know the American Blink 182 had to add the 182 because of the Irish Blink.

Engelbert Humberdinck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

chicorytip wrote: »

You are wrong on both counts! As Birneybau has explained, the 2 Randy Jacksons are not the same. The former lead singer was James "JT" Taylor - not James Brown! But you have inadvertently brought up another example! There are 2 James Taylors: the Kool and The Gang guy and the easy-listening singer-songwriter, particularly popular during the '70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

There is an American rock band called Damage and a British R&B boy band called Damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bryan Adams and Ryan Adams.

Bryan Adams and Ryan Adams.

Came in to say this.

They even share the same birthday...November 5th.

To add to the birthday thing, Gram Parsons was a huge influence on Ryan Adams...Gram was also born November 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Irish band Blink & Blink 182
    Patti Smith - Patty Smith

There was a British/Irish girl group a few years back called The Saturdays and there is a little-known American indie band of the same name.

There was an American band called One Direction (now Uncharted Shores) before the UK pop group came along.

And there is a UK girl group called M.O. and a Danish indie pop musician called Mø.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Lonnie Smith and Lonnie Liston Smith - both involved in the jazzier end of funk.

David A Stewart (Eurythmics) and Dave Stewart (progger who collaborated with Barbara Gaskin on It's My Party)

John Cale, JJ Cale and John Cage

Nickelback and Nickel Creek

Nelly and Nelly Furtado

Pat Metheny and Pat Benatar (I always confused them when I was younger)

Musicians and journalists who share the same name
    Joe Jackson
    Sean O'Hagan

There is an American indie rock singer called Nina Nastasia and a Scottish pop artist called Nina Nesbitt. OK, maybe not THAT similar but the letters "N" and "S" are the key here. If you were to pause a music show of a presenter introducing "Nina Nas/Nes-" it really narrows down to those two. Both are pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Glen Hughes...former Deep Purple singer....and Glenn Hughes...from the Village People

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

There is a Jim McCarty in The Yardbirds and one in Cactus, and both have played with Jeff Beck!

Mike Joyce - drummer for The Smiths
    Mike Duce - lead singer of the soon to be defunct Lower than Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,604 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There’s Howard Jones...

And then there’s Howard Jones... :D

• Advertisement

MJ Cole

J Cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There have been at least three bands called Skid Row. There was an Irish one in the 1970's, it was the former name of Nirvana and most famously there was the one that had hits with Eighteen And Life and I Remember You.

There was a blues harmonica player named Sonny Boy Williamson. After he died another musician took on his name to cash in. They're now known as Sonny Boy Williamson I and II. The second one is probably most famous for the song Eyesight To The Blind which was covered by The Who on Tommy.

Bob Marley and Bob Markley, lead singer of sixties band The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, who would probably have been a big name but many of their songs were ruined by the fact that Markley was a child molester and loved singing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

It occurred to me that there have been quite a few musical artistes with the same name, or practically the same name. Here are all the examples I could think of.

1. Paul Young: There is the solo singer who had a number of hits, particularly in the ‘80s, such as Wherever I Lay My Hat. Then there was the other now deceased Paul Young, who was the singer with Sad Café (biggest hit: Everyday Hurts) and one of the singers with Mike and The Mechanics (All I Need is a Miracle, for example).

2. Mick Jones: There is the guitarist (and sometimes keyboardist) and songwriter and only constant member of English-American rock band Foreigner. Then, the other Mick Jones is the former lead guitarist and sometimes lead vocalist of The Clash (Should I Stay or Should I Go being his most famous) and frontman of Big Audio Dynamite. He also is live guitarist for The Gorillaz and a producer.

3. Roger Taylor: The first is the drummer and a founding member of Queen. The second is the drummer (most of the time) with Duran Duran!

5. Michael / Mick Jackson: The first, Michael, now deceased, needs no introduction having been a major American solo pop singer (albums such as Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad and many hit singles), as well as the main lead vocalist for The Jackson Five and The Jacksons. The second, Mick Jackson, is an English singer-songwriter who co-wrote and sung Blame It On The Boogie. Amazingly, this was also covered by The Jacksons, featuring Michael Jackson on lead vocals! Both versions were in the U.K. charts around the same time!

Then of course: If David Bowie had stuck with his real name David Jones, he could have been confused with fellow English-born singer Davy Jones of The Monkees. Sadly, both are now dead.

I know there are more that I just can’t remember at the moment. And what about female examples?
    Can you think of more examples?

there is one more Randy Jackson, from the American Band "Zebra", their big song was "who's behind the door"

Lonnie Smith and Lonnie Liston Smith - both involved in the jazzier end of funk.

David A Stewart (Eurythmics) and Dave Stewart (progger who collaborated with Barbara Gaskin on It's My Party)

John Cale, JJ Cale and John Cage

Nickelback and Nickel Creek

Nelly and Nelly Furtado

Pat Metheny and Pat Benatar (I always confused them when I was younger)

Musicians and journalists who share the same name

Joe Jackson
    Sean O'Hagan
    There is a journalist for the Irish Independent called Gemma Doherty which is the same name as one of the members of Irish duo Saint Sister.

Waterford band Toucan

Sligo band Túcan

Tom Odell

Tom Ogden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Pond - Australian 'Psychedelic rock' band.
    Pond - American 90's alternative rock band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Charlatans - were a 60s band. The other are the ones most people know now.

King Diamond / King Crimson

Lamb / Lambchop

Jim Diamond / Neil Diamond

ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer) / ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Fish (from Marillion) / Phish (US jam band)

John Williams (classical guitarist) / John Williams - soundtrack writer. I used to always think they were the same.

The Orb / ORB (Original Rudeboys) / also Orbital

Pale Saints / Pale Waves

Mumm-Ra / Sun Ra

The Beat / The Beatles

Le Galaxie / Galaxie 500

Beck / Jeff Beck

John Mayer / John Mayall (both guitarists as well)

The Guess Who / The Who

Wilson Pickett / Wilson Phillips

James Taylor Quartet (acid jazz band) / James Taylor

Prince / Princess (80s one hit wonder) / Queen / King :)

Andy Bell (singer of Erasure) / Andy Bell (guitarist in Ride / Oasis)

Jim Morrison / James Morrison

OMD / OMC (they did "How Bizarre")

Skinny Puppy / Mucky Pup (80s thrash band)

An Emotional Fish / That Petrol Emotion (both Irish, around at the same time as well)

No Doubt / No Mercy (boy band who did "Where Do You Go")

Flamin' Groovies / Flaming Lips

Dublin singer Amy Martin

Dublin singer Aimeé Fitzpatrick

• Advertisement

Huddersfield rapper MC Bonez

Hamburg rapper Bonez MC

Advertisement