Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-08-2018, 21:23   #1
Buford T. Justice VI

Dairy Chitchat 3

MOD note: And were back.
Old thread below.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057673860
Enjoy

Buford T. Justice
Advertisement
13-08-2018, 21:27   #2
simx

Off silage fully 9 days today and milk results coming in for all grass and meal diet jumped from 3.37 to 3.52 on one collection bf went back from 4.22 to 4.1 and litres Came up a touch hopefully pr will keep this upward trend
14-08-2018, 08:51   #3
yosemitesam1

[Quote]Inhibitors[\quote]

Cut artificial n is what I was thinking,it's responsible for about 30% of dairy emissions and is the only non essential bit
Thanks from:
14-08-2018, 08:54   #4
blackdog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by simx
Off silage fully 9 days today and milk results coming in for all grass and meal diet jumped from 3.37 to 3.52 on one collection bf went back from 4.22 to 4.1 and litres Came up a touch hopefully pr will keep this upward trend

I'm still feeding 9kg of meal and 25kg of silage with good quality grass in the diet. Cows doing 3.65p and 4 fat so you can produce solids on silage but it's bloody expensive!
(3) thanks from:
14-08-2018, 09:06   #5
whelan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1 View Post
I'm still feeding 9kg of meal and 25kg of silage with good quality grass in the diet. Cows doing 3.65p and 4 fat so you can produce solids on silage but it's bloody expensive!
What's your grass like?
Advertisement
14-08-2018, 09:16   #6
mahoney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1 View Post
Fully agree 4 kg dm silage plus 3 kg maize/distillers/hulls mix going in here still and well as 5 in parlour 26.3 Ltrs 4.27 fat 3.63 p .expensive yes but trying to build decent bank of grass before handbrake releases
(3) thanks from:
14-08-2018, 09:27   #7
cosatron

On heavy ground here in Galway cows are on good grass that we pre-mowed as it was heavy and they are doing 23lt 4 fat 3.43 p on 3kg of dan O'Connor breedermax. we dodged some serious bullets with the drought, thank god.
(5) thanks from:
14-08-2018, 10:34   #8
jaymla627

Worrying to see the extended credit scheme from glanbia is after having to be extended to 30 million due to it being over-subscribed....
(2) thanks from:
14-08-2018, 11:04   #9
Gawddawggonnit

[quote="yosemitesam1;107781931"]
Quote:
Inhibitors[\quote]

Cut artificial n is what I was thinking,it's responsible for about 30% of dairy emissions and is the only non essential bit
Ah no Sam, you can’t be talking like that!! Crazy talk.

I see that to draw down the tillage/dairy forage aid you HAVE to spread fertilizer.
Jesus wept.

The whole idea of forage/cover crops is to reduce or even eliminate fertilizer application...I’m honestly dumbfounded.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-08-2018, 11:10   #10
freedominacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoney_j View Post

Fully agree 4 kg dm silage plus 3 kg maize/distillers/hulls mix going in here still and well as 5 in parlour 26.3 Ltrs 4.27 fat 3.63 p .expensive yes but trying to build decent bank of grass before handbrake releases
We rarely get to build this famous wedge/bank of grass for the autumn. Gr is never there to do it. The odd time we do the performance is never there. Save your silage. Move to a 30 day rotation and as you get into late Sept fill the performance gap with that good quality silage you seem to have. You'll have more milk and solids from it.
(4) thanks from:
14-08-2018, 11:21   #11
mahoney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedominacup View Post
We rarely get to build this famous wedge/bank of grass for the autumn. Gr is never there to do it. The odd time we do the performance is never there. Save your silage. Move to a 30 day rotation and as you get into late Sept fill the performance gap with that good quality silage you seem to have. You'll have more milk and solids from it.
Was at 160 kg grass dm per cow last Saturday once I’m over 200 I’ll drop out buffer over few days .building and grazing covers once not too high never an issue in back end here .ill be hopeing to make it to mid October before having to buffer again .cows in great Knick and still pumping out very good solids and litres despite until this week ****e grass it came at a cost but def feel going hard with a buffer and hiring in feeder has paid off
14-08-2018, 12:38   #12
awaywithyou

Quote:
Was at 160 kg grass dm per cow last Saturday once I’m over 200 I’ll drop out buffer over few days .building and grazing covers once not too high never an issue in back end here .ill be hopeing to make it to mid October before having to buffer again .cows in great Knick and still pumping out very good solids and litres despite until this week ****e grass it came at a cost but def feel going hard with a buffer and hiring in feeder has paid off
Am I seeing things or are u appreciating the value of a diet feeder....?
14-08-2018, 12:44   #13
mahoney_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaywithyou View Post
Am I seeing things or are u appreciating the value of a diet feeder....?
Fully appreciate its value and use !!!,I’ll be honest after last few weeks I’d love one but that’ll mean another tractor or loader and a feeder,can I justify one is a question I’m now asking myself
14-08-2018, 17:51   #14
Gawddawggonnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymla627 View Post
Worrying to see the extended credit scheme from glanbia is after having to be extended to 30 million due to it being over-subscribed....
This announcement has made my hair stand on end. It resonates United Fruit Co...
(Funny how there’s only allowance for tillage farmers that grow fodder under the ‘scheme’!)

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-37214577.html
14-08-2018, 17:53   #15
Gawddawggonnit

Quote:
Fully appreciate its value and use !!!,I’ll be honest after last few weeks I’d love one but that’ll mean another tractor or loader and a feeder,can I justify one is a question I’m now asking myself
It’d be crazy to have a wagon and parlor feeders at the same time...what would the poor merchants do?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion