Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

The Munster boys don't bother with defending at all.

I think we would beat any of them, even whilst "rebuilding"

You'd never know. Kilkenny didn't brush Limerick and Waterford aside too easily in last year's championship. Might look easier to beat them that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

citykat wrote: »
    blackcard wrote: »
    So winner of KK v Wexford through to the Leinster Final, loser plays McDonagh team. Should get another two games after that match. Experience for a lot of the younger players which hopefully will stand to them next year.

I think Wexford looked very jaded. From the first whistle, they were very sluggish. It suits us that we have a 2 weeks break - we should be fresher and we're at home also.

One anther note, it's hard to know - may be easier to go through as third placed team. Time will tell!
    If we cant beat that Wexford team at home, the CB should pull Kilkenny out of the championship

look we've a great opportunity next weekend wexford were poor today rory o connor is carring the fowards chin and mcdonald anonymous you'd expect more from them.
    the weeks break should help us we cant have any complaints for not winning next weekend i wouldnt be suprised to see hogan and colin starting next weekend that would give our fowards a big boost

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

In this years championships, there's no handy games lads! All on the day. Teams are much of a muchness at this stage, apart from Galway who seem a bit ahead.

I definately wouldn't be saying we'll beat this team or that time for sure. Mad statements like we should pull out of chsmpionship (exagg I know) if we can't beat Wexford etc. is a bit mad. KK, Limerick, Tipp, Clare and Cork etc. are all on the same level and a lot of it will be down to small margins on the day.

Hurling has levelled out and the hurling championship is the better for it!

KK, Limerick, Tipp, Clare and Cork etc. are all on the same level and a lot of it will be down to small margins on the day.

Hurling has levelled out and the hurling championship is the better for it!

There's an argument that the hurling championship has not really "levelled out" and is in fact is no different to what it was 10 years ago, with loads of middling teams and just the identity of the team that's miles ahead is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Galway playing well but later on they struggle hence there record of wins. Limerick have a very good panel so do Cork there game tonight was fantastic would be interesting to see either of them against Galway. You can never write kk or tipp off and then you have the inconsistent frustrating teams in clare and Waterford who have some fantastic players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I definately wouldn't be saying we'll beat this team or that time for sure. Mad statements like we should pull out of chsmpionship (exagg I know) if we can't beat Wexford etc. is a bit mad. KK, Limerick, Tipp, Clare and Cork etc. are all on the same level and a lot of it will be down to small margins on the day.

I wasnt exaggerating. Wexford are piss poor. If we cant beat them we've no business being in the championship. We'd only get murdered down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Interesting that no team has won playing 3 games in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭davidx40

Citycat ... i definitly cant agree wexford are piss poor ....we will see next week ...to me there on much same level as ourselves .....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Now that there is a break in the inter-county action and we are half way through the provincial section, I thought I’d stir the juices by bringing up that thorny subject of the Club Scene!! How are the various clubs dealing with the break? There was a good few football games last week, but it is quiet enough this week and I hear very little complaints. I also note that the CPA are noticeable by their silence during this period. Maybe the survey fillers might fill us in on what is happening at this time. I never did get an estimate on what people thought is a reasonable amount of “meaningful” games or what the CPA has planned for a Kilkenny solution. Have all the vocal club players left the country for the summer already?

So much for interest in the Club.
    As HQ would say the club is just intermittent noise that will happen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Now that there is a break in the inter-county action and we are half way through the provincial section, I thought I’d stir the juices by bringing up that thorny subject of the Club Scene!! How are the various clubs dealing with the break? There was a good few football games last week, but it is quiet enough this week and I hear very little complaints. I also note that the CPA are noticeable by their silence during this period. Maybe the survey fillers might fill us in on what is happening at this time. I never did get an estimate on what people thought is a reasonable amount of “meaningful” games or what the CPA has planned for a Kilkenny solution. Have all the vocal club players left the country for the summer already?

Looks Luke they have left. Comer had to go all the way to San Diego for a few games...

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/285897

And most counties trained away through May.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-probe-more-than-half-the-counties-in-ireland-under-investigation-for-training-camp-breaches-36963930.html

The new county structure has produced a few great games, particularly in Munster, so is likely here to stay. Another solution will have to be found for the club player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The Munster boys don't bother with defending at all.

I think we would beat any of them, even whilst "rebuilding"

To be honest, ye were lucky to beat Dublin and if ye hadn't ye'd be under big pressure even to get out of Leinster.

Would not have seen ye qualifying from Munster this year but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

To be honest, ye were lucky to beat Dublin and if ye hadn't ye'd be under big pressure even to get out of Leinster.

Would not have seen ye qualifying from Munster this year but that is just my opinion.

I would have to agree. Kilkenny would not get out of Munster this year the way that they are playing. Leinster championship has been really poor in terms of quality matches. No real flow to the games. Munster teams way ahead along with Galway.
    I'd say it'll be another poor match next week with another high free count

mullinr2 wrote: »
    I would have to agree. Kilkenny would not get out of Munster this year the way that they are playing. Leinster championship has been really poor in terms of quality matches. No real flow to the games. Munster teams way ahead along with Galway.
    I'd say it'll be another poor match next week with another high free count
    have been hearing this rubbish for years even when we were winning everything in sight.lets see in august.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    have been hearing this rubbish for years even when we were winning everything in sight.lets see in august.

To be fair I doubt anyone claimed when Kilkenny were winning everything that they wouldn't be comfortably in the top three in Munster!!

But since you expect to have to wait until August too see you are fairly confident anyway, fair play! The only championship game in August in the All Ireland final!

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To be fair I doubt anyone claimed when Kilkenny were winning everything that they wouldn't be comfortably in the top three in Munster!!

But since you expect to have to wait until August too see you are fairly confident anyway, fair play! The only championship game in August in the All Ireland final!
    What chance 2 leinster teams in the final since the all ireland champions and league champions play in leinster.

What chance 2 leinster teams in the final since the all ireland champions and league champions play in leinster.

There's a very good chance two Leinster teams will meet in the All-Ireland final though you are reading too much into the League and the status as League winners as if it is somehow is equivalent to an All Ireland champion status. I said it here last April that people very overrating Tipperary and that I had them at number 3 in Munster. I revised that downwards on the basis of an atrocious performance in the League final. I was told that was "hilarious" and generally mocked over it but of course time has proven me correct. That team is finished and has been for a while.

I also predicted at the start that Kilkenny would contest an All Ireland semi-final (when others were talking about relegation) and lose to Cork (who I assumed would be Munster winners). I still think that's the most likely scenario but an all Leinster All Ireland final is not very unlikely. But I wouldn't go so far as to predict it like you are doing. I still think the top two in Munster will take a bit of beating. Certainly wouldn't be dismissing them like some here are doing.

I personally wouldnt dismiss any team in this new structure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

We are not comfortable at 3, 6, 8 and 11. Maher is the only midfielder who has pulled his weight and so far Leahy Fogarty and Fennelly have not stepped up to the mark. Padraigh and Cillian are playing out of position and suffering as a consequence. TJ is just not cutting it at center forward. It is the spine of our team that is not operating at anything like All Ireland challengers. During the league it was the spine that brought us success but it aint working in the increased intensity of championship. A full back line of Murphy Lennon Deegan with  Delaney Walsh and Buckley fronting them (as some else has suggested) looks a lot more solid than the current positioning and I wonder how a fit Jason Cleere would go at centerfield. We have two games to sort things out so to me this new format has been a blessing in disguise for Kilkenny.

Low attendances in munster no hawk eye in most grounds and some teams playing 3/4 weeks in a row where others dont(not everything about new system is great.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

Low attendances in munster no hawk eye in most grounds and some teams playing 3/4 weeks in a row where others dont(not everything about new system is great.)

There were 35,000 in Pairc Uí Chaoimh last night. Cumulatively, the attendances will be far more than a knockout Munster Championship, so the GAA will be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

it'll be intresting to see how things go from here and will cody change things.
    padraig has struggled in the first two matches but its unlikely his going to change him now.Id have delaney as best of the next but he'll probably use this year to get experience into him before trying him at 3.
    The way i see it alot of the trouble is starting with our half foward line which has struggled badly resulting in our full back line being under pressure.We were cleaned out against dublin and galway and if hogan is fit id start him at 11 and tj and wally on the wings and colin at 14 with scanlon and donnelly.
    Buckley has to hold the middle and while keaney and canning drifted off him and got 4 points off him its up to the lads around him to drop back and help him but his distribution has being poor but like the padraig issue who else have we got better at 6 that we can trust?
    Its grand saying move this lad here and there but whos better? lennon is to slow and o shea out of favour,joe lyng not long back from study and cleere must be injured,conor browne not ready yet.

brookville wrote: »

it'll be intresting to see how things go from here and will cody change things.

Agreed. I think one of the most interesting things in the hurling championship over the next few years will be how Brian Cody performs in the context of Galway. Kilkenny will probably meet them in the Leinster final and maybe the All Ireland final too. Galway look a fair bit ahead of them on the basis of their previous game and it will be fascinating to see how Kilkenny close the gap. Kilkenny spent many years repeatedly beating the same teams. Can they do anything to prevent themselves becoming Galway's victims in the same way over the next year or two? Under the new system they will meet them regularly and the response will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Agreed. I think one of the most interesting things in the hurling championship over the next few years will be how Brian Cody performs in the context of Galway. Kilkenny will probably meet them in the Leinster final and maybe the All Ireland final too. Galway look a fair bit ahead of them on the basis of their previous game and it will be fascinating to see how Kilkenny close the gap. Kilkenny spent many years repeatedly beating the same teams. Can they do anything to prevent themselves becoming Galway's victims in the same way over the next year or two? Under the new system they will meet them regularly and the response will be interesting.

Ur fairly confident we can beat Wexford. I wouldn't be as confident after our first 3 games. Maybe All Ireland? We will be nowhere near All Ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Kilkenny are miles away from an AI final at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny are miles away from an AI final at the moment.

We don't have the players at the moment to score enough from open play. I agree that we are nowhere near good enough to get anywhere near an AI. I would rank us around seventh or eight in the country at the moment.

Think were much better than 7/8 team in the country.with richie back walter tj cloin ger awlyard etc I think we xan beat anyone on our day.we have pedigree that alot of the others dont have.lim cork clare waterford and even cork (not won since 06)all have potential but they all have failed to fullfill their potential(know clare won in 13)I would still fancy us against any of rhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

Think were much better than 7/8 team in the country.

Joe McDonagh teams yes

blackcard wrote: »
    We don't have the players at the moment to score enough from open play. I agree that we are nowhere near good enough to get anywhere near an AI. I would rank us around seventh or eight in the country at the moment.

The problem with ranking Kilkenny 8th in the country is that assuming them to be the second best team in Leinster it means that there are six teams outside Leinster who would beat them which means that you are saying they wouldn't win the Joe MacDonagh cup! Obviously that makes no sense.

Whatever notional ranking Kilkenny are given here's the reality. Worst case scenario Kilkenny (irrespective of how they do against Wexford) are one game away from an All Ireland semi-final (even losing to Wexford, which I don't expect they are in an All Ireland QF anyway). If they beat Wexford (even if they subsequently lost to Galway) they would play the third team in Munster and have a really good chance of winning that game.

Whatever notional ranking we give Kilkenny the point I made here last February still stands i.e. that they probably should reach an All Ireland semi final at least not because they are great but because the format of the competition protects them from a lot of the teams who are potentially better. To be honest about it the Leinster championship and the standard of the teams in it given the one of them was Offaly and another Dublin (albeit much better than expected as it turned out) more or less guaranteed a lot of progress in the championship for Kilkenny.

Of course whether getting to the last four in the championship necessarily makes you one of the best four teams in another discussion (Tipperary got there for the last four years and have 0 wins from 3 games this year) but it's hard to imagine when people look back on the year that Kilkenny will be seventh or eighth in the rankings.

Think were much better than 7/8 team in the country.with richie back walter tj cloin ger awlyard etc I think we xan beat anyone on our day.we have pedigree that alot of the others dont have.lim cork clare waterford and even cork (not won since 06)all have potential but they all have failed to fullfill their potential(know clare won in 13)I would still fancy us against any of rhem.

It would have been interesting to see how Kilkenny would fare with a programme of games like Waterford or Tipperary where they had to play these teams home and away week in week out four weeks in a row. In a one-off game in Croke Park things will indeed be tight between them and Croke Park experience will give Kilkenny some benefit.

But no harm to remember as you mention pedigree that Kilkenny have lost their last championship games to three Munster counties and got a fair game from Limerick last year and Limerick have improved too. Clare have given Kilkenny huge problems in League matches in recent years as well. I doubt if any of those counties would worry about Kilkenny's pedigree at this point. At this stage only Limerick of the top other seven counties have lost to Kilkenny the last time they played them in the championship in recent years (Clare haven't played them in years) - Cork, Tipperary, Galway, Wexford and Waterford have all done them. Pedigree didn't save them in those games and will count for little. Younger Kilkenny lads, for example, would be going up against many guys far more successful at underage than they have been.

• Advertisement

Tipp in 16 cork in 13 or should I say barry kelly and waterford in x tra time last year have beaten us since 06.how nany times have we beaten thise teams in that time.clare in the league cause us problems but we beat them come championship .as for linerick I was at the game in 73 (never forget the rain)when we lost(havent lost to them since.As for wexford and galway our record against them speaks for itself.maybe they wont worry about us but we certaintly wont fear any of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement