Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

First load of calves gone to the Mart this morning. Mainly fr and a few jex.
    Will update prices later

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dar31 wrote: »
    Will update prices later

Be gentle :)

Reggie. wrote: »
    Be gentle :)

Checked the tea leaves this morning... they are saying jex 70-80 plain fr 150 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Checked the tea leaves this morning... they are saying jex 70-80 plain fr 150 😂😂

What age were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

What age were they?

The tea leaves? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any idea of bb bull calf prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea of bb bull calf prices?

Sold some bulls in yard the other day €350 7/10 days old, know another man got €400 for month old bulls this week in yard too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Calves in macroom yesterday.... B-serk, one of the dealers arrived in blind drunk and bought 60 calves. A shake with 350 for nice her bulls. A lot of very young fr bulls making 80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Calves in macroom yesterday.... B-serk, one of the dealers arrived in blind drunk and bought 60 calves. A shake with 350 for nice her bulls. A lot of very young fr bulls making 80
    A dealer up my way is advertising fr bulls on done deal for 130€. He must be buying them for around 80€ as you say. Claiming these are out of British Fr cows!
    I often wounder with lads like that..why do they bother? (Diseal,commissioned, cost of keeping them right and adds).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

kk.man wrote: »
    Pidae.m wrote: »
    A dealer up my way is advertising fr bulls on done deal for 130€. He must be buying them for around 80€ as you say. Claiming these are out of British Fr cows!
    I often wounder with lads like that..why do they bother? (Diseal,commissioned, cost of keeping them right and adds).
    And income tax

• Advertisement

I'd say they are picking them up for 60 euro off farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

simx wrote: »
    Sold some bulls in yard the other day €350 7/10 days old, know another man got €400 for month old bulls this week in yard too

Simx, what’s the breeding of the bull you’re using, thinking of putting some Bb AI bulls on dairy cows to breed suckler replacements. Not sue on what bull to use. Tks, Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

DBZ is consistent I find, cows don't go overtime and and haven't had any trouble calving them but may only have 5 to 10 in any given year. Personally I'd avoid genomic beef bulls untill calving reliability is higher for dairy cows anyway. Obviously i wouldn't be putting bb on small cows or first calvers

My brother started buying calves in north Kerry. Big difference between them and the cork calf. A lot more square.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

And income tax

What's that?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

What's that?

I think you'll find it in the dairy thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Your commoner gardener calf dealer is making feck all money. Fivers and tenders per calf. Trucking them around trying to find a victim. Bollixing with permits till they get them sold.

They are very necessary to hoover up the scrap calves most farmers would avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Simx, what’s the breeding of the bull you’re using, thinking of putting some Bb AI bulls on dairy cows to breed suckler replacements. Not sue on what bull to use. Tks, Mac

Dfd here this year, that's one below, 6.3% c.d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Your commoner gardener calf dealer is making feck all money. Fivers and tenders per calf. Trucking them around trying to find a victim. Bollixing with permits till they get them sold.

They are very necessary to hoover up the scrap calves most farmers would avoid

The movement is destroying those lads too

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

Will update prices later

How did the jex go ....I've a few here to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The movement is destroying those lads too

What a lot of them is just leave it idle for a few days and then transfer to the buyer of the calf

farisfat wrote: »
    How did the jex go ....I've a few here to go

Will know Monday. Waiting on email from mart

Will know Monday. Waiting on email from mart

Any update?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any update?

7-10 day old fr €65
    10-14 day old fr €80-100
    jex out of heifers 7-10 days old €5-20, although one made €65

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

7-10 day old fr €65
    10-14 day old fr €80-100

Would they be jersy bulls used or crossbred then? Reason I ask is some lads have customers happy enough to take the 3/4 bred cross

Mooooo wrote: »
    Would they be jersy bulls used or crossbred then? Reason I ask is some lads have customers happy enough to take the 3/4 bred cross

kiwicross bulls mainly PSQ who is 62% JE,
    calves have jex on card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kiwicross bulls mainly PSQ who is 62% JE,
    calves have jex on card
    It's fairly annoying when a bull like that used on a friesian dam would have a calf that's 69% friesian/31% jersey and appears as a Jex instead of Frx.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

7-10 day old fr €65
    10-14 day old fr €80-100

We'll have beer money from the jex when the calving is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

Advertisement