Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Bird scores 3 in win over 76ers. Jabari not Larry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I was delighted to see Lonzo and Ingram bounce back after being a bit disappointed with them on opening night I was especially delighted to see Ingram play well.

Kuzma had a good game off the bench too. I wonder if he starts by the end of the season. I assume Randle gets traded then as I suspect he has more trade value than Larry Nance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

brady23 wrote: »
    I was delighted to see Lonzo and Ingram bounce back after being a bit disappointed with them on opening night I was especially delighted to see Ingram play well.

Kuzma had a good game off the bench too. I wonder if he starts by the end of the season. I assume Randle gets traded then as I suspect he has more trade value than Larry Nance.

Watched first half of that game. Defense was non existent on both ends from what I seen of it, inflates the stat lines quite a bit. Entertaining stuff all the same.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Watched first half of that game. Defense was non existent on both ends from what I seen of it, inflates the stat lines quite a bit. Entertaining stuff all the same.

It was like an all star game but at least the signs are encouraging.
    I mentioned about Dennis Smith in another post. He's out with swelling in the knee, standard residual impact of an ACL injury .
    It could be worrying though, I'd hate to see his progress hampered, I thought he was one of the steals of the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Through the first two games:
    Davis and Boogie-131 points
    Rest of the Pelicans-80 points

Im fascinated by the Pelicans(a rare statement) and they could beat anybody on their day. Ian Clarke seems like a decent addition and jamaal has done his bit so far but its a pity we have probably the 2 best big men in the world on the same team and they more than likely will be under .500.

So good to have the league back, Ive watched 5 full games and extended highlights from every game so far I think. Havnt done a thing all week in work with all these late nights though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Didn't see the game.
    That statline is atrocious though, 12-27 shots.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Didn't see the game.
    That statline is atrocious though, 12-27 shots.

I suppose 44% from the field while barely missing out on triple double in your 2nd real professional bball game is a real cause for concern.

Obviously I'm being harsh.
    But the Suns are bottom-feeders; we saw how Patrick Beverley (Clippers) manhandled him in his 1st game.

Obviously I'm being harsh.
    But the Suns are bottom-feeders; we saw how Patrick Beverley (Clippers) manhandled him in his 1st game.

That's fair enough I said similar regarding Beverley but Lakers are bottom feeders too. However I agree that's a more valid critique than his stat line of 12/27 is atrocious.

The critique makes little sense to me given the NBA average FG% last year was .457 not to mention 44% is slightly less than the average FG% of all ROY winners since LBJ, an example being LBJ shot .417 his rookie year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

See both Curry and Durant got ejected last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Giannis was sensational last night. Career high 44 points. Bucks 1pt down against the Blazers, he gets the steal, ball spills out to his team mate, runs down the court and takes the pass to dunk and take the lead. Then blocks Nurkic at the rim for the game winning play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

paulie21 wrote: »
    See both Curry and Durant got ejected last night
    Really classless from Curry in fairness.
    I am not sure wht Durant got ejected though?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

killwill wrote: »
    Really classless from Curry in fairness.
    I am not sure wht Durant got ejected though?

Ah it's a reaction to a (bad) no-call, and he threw his gumshield at the ground rather than at the ref - IMO at least from the footage I saw.

Durant got ejected for arguing with the ref over the ejection.

Cavs got utterly blown out by the Magic, lead was as bad as 37 points!
    Interestingly, this also finishes a 17-game win streak by the Cavs VS Magic (19 wins for LeBron AFAIK).

Giannis was sensational last night. Career high 44 points. Bucks 1pt down against the Blazers, he gets the steal, ball spills out to his team mate, runs down the court and takes the pass to dunk and take the lead. Then blocks Nurkic at the rim for the game winning play.

He's a beast, no question. Pretty amazing start to the season so far from him.

Looked like a foul on Nurkic though from what I saw. Giannis got some ball, but he also initiated a lot of contact.

We've seen this kind of reffing before in the NBA where guys get or don't get calls based on who they are - it's one of the things that really frustrate me about the league; it and travelling. That's one of those where I feel if it was the other way around we'd have a different call on the play. And that's BS tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interestingly, this also finishes a 17-game win streak by the Cavs VS Magic (19 wins for LeBron AFAIK).

Magic shot 17 / 35 from three
    Cavs shot 7 / 25

Wouldn't draw anything significant from it tbh.

The Suns have been truly abysmal giving up over 128ppg to date. The only time they scored more than 88 was against the Lakers in what looked like a pickup game. As someone previously posted you have to view the Lonzo stats in that game in that context.

Firing the coach after 3 games is laughable though and just a symbolic gesture - if he was the wrong coach they should have fired him at the end of last season. Classic you can't fire the players move, and Ryan McDonough isn't firing himself. He should really be the one in the firing line for a lot of this tbh; instead, they extended his contract this summer.

The Suns have been truly abysmal giving up over 128ppg to date. The only time they scored more than 88 was against the Lakers in what looked like a pickup game. As someone previously posted you have to view the Lonzo stats in that game in that context.

I don't think there was any question that Lonzos stat line was inflated in that game as every other players was.
    The point was more that a 44% fg% is not an atrocious stat line. It's the NBA average.

I also don't think that if Watson is kept on they continue to give up that amount of points and score that little, regression to the mean and all that similar to what LL suggested with Cavs vs Magic.
    I do agree though that if they had questions around Watson he should not have started the season. They look like the whipping boys thus far though.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Magic shot 17 / 35 from three
    Cavs shot 7 / 25

Wouldn't draw anything significant from it tbh.

Both just outliers really. With as many games as you have in an NBA season you'll always have a few "WTF happened there?" games. They've tried to limit these with increasing the rest days and reducing the back to backs etc., but you'll still have weird games where one team just gets hot and the other doesn't.

It's one of the reasons I hate betting in the first 3-4 weeks of the NBA season as some teams are fitter than others, better prepared, and some are just figuring things out with new team mates etc. Takes a few weeks for things to even out.

• Advertisement

I don't think there was any question that Lonzos stat line was inflated in that game as every other players was.
    The point was more that a 44% fg% is not an atrocious stat line. It's the NBA average.

I also don't think that if Watson is kept on they continue to give up that amount of points and score that little, regression to the mean and all that similar to what LL suggested with Cavs vs Magic.
    I do agree though that if they had questions around Watson he should not have started the season. They look like the whipping boys thus far though.

Sure....but I wasn't the one who said 44% was atrocious! Just pointing that out btw, not having a go!

Lonzo Ball vs Pelicans:

3-13 FG, 0-5 3P, 8-8-10

Damn the Pelis nearly lost that though; how do you let a 20 point lead slip?

I saw a headline over the weekend that Boston only has 4 players left from last season's squad. I can't ever recall a team having that few returning players before. Anyone know if that's a record?

Lonzo Ball vs Pelicans:

3-13 FG, 0-5 3P, 8-8-10

Damn the Pelis nearly lost that though; how do you let a 20 point lead slip?

I'll take flirting with a triple double all day from any 19 year old. 23% from the field is atrocious though.
    Kuzma looks like such a steal though

I saw a headline over the weekend that Boston only has 4 players left from last season's squad. I can't ever recall a team having that few returning players before. Anyone know if that's a record?

Potential record for a team that makes a conference final and is viewed as likely to again.

I would imagine the likes of the 76ers when tanking could have been close.

I'll take flirting with a triple double all day from any 19 year old. 23% from the field is atrocious though.
    Kuzma looks like such a steal though

He is never going to be an elite scorer, and that's even before we talk about the shot mechanics. With a shot like his, he's going to have some very poor shooting nights, but likely some games too where he gets hot and everything falls.

What I do really like about him though are the pace he plays at and his transition passing. I think he could be really, really good in a Jason Kidd type way if he's surrounded by the right personnel.

Meant to post this when talking about Giannis earlier - on the latest open floor podcast they said that Giannis is the same age as 10 of the players drafted this yar....and younger than 14 of them!

It may have been the other way around (14 & 10) but that is seriously scary.

Reminded me of this:

https://twitter.com/harrylylesjr/status/881601752990187521

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/13/kevin-durant-giannis-antetokounmpo-could-be-best-player-ever#/

Quite the vote of confidence from Durant plus Kobe saying MVP when he issued his challenge.

The future of the NBA doesn't look very American at present as highlighted by a tweet Kevin Pelton responded to.

"Who even is the best US eligible U23 in the league? Jokic, KP, Giannis, Wiggins, Towns, Embiid, Simmons all international"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/13/kevin-durant-giannis-antetokounmpo-could-be-best-player-ever#/

Quite the vote of confidence from Durant plus Kobe saying MVP when he issued his challenge.

The future of the NBA doesn't look very American at present as highlighted by a tweet Kevin Pelton responded to.

"Who even is the best US eligible U23 in the league? Jokic, KP, Giannis, Wiggins, Towns, Embiid, Simmons all international"

Towns is American tbf, just doesn't play for the US national team. You'd also have Myles Turner, Devin Booker and Jabari Parker, and then don't forget Anthony Davis is only 24.

• Advertisement

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21127746/eric-bledsoe-sent-home-meeting-phoenix-suns

Bledsoe on the way out now. I don't know where the trade comes from though.

I thought back to the Clippers but I don't think they have any assets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement